• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Major Violation?

Played in a 2 round tournament today. Upon starting the second one of the players on the card was nowhere to be found. This was top card in my division. We waited as long as possible but he didnt show. We tee'd off and finished the first hole and asked the TD what to do. He said to give him 3 strokes over par on each hole until he shows up. Everything was par 3 so he kept getting 6"s. 4 holes in we he runs up and we tell him sorry but we had to give him a six on each hole. He says "I'll see you guys later" and walks off. 2 holes later he catches us and says the TD said he could make up the holes he missed after we finished. He shot very well and finished 2nd overall. No big deal to me as I finished 1st but the more I think about it the more wrong I think it was. The 4 holes he took 6"s on he got deuces on them. Can the TD make a call like that?

It should have been par + 4 for every hole missed and if the TD was not aware of this and the event was sanctioned, I would ask if they had read the rules manual and taken the exam. One of the biggest reasons the game could become stagnant and hinder growth is inconsistency

Last edited:
BTW it did not affect my outcome but he did finish second but wouldnt have eve cashed out if those strokes are added back in.

So, basically, you admit that you knowingly allowed everyone else in the field to be screwed over by not saying anything to the TD because it didn't affect YOUR outcome.

Nice. :thmbdown:

Any complaints? Let 'em fly, I can take it.

Iron Man 3 was really a disappointment to me. I see this interpretation of Iron Man as the Batman of Marvel. He should have made contingency plans for all of the Avengers in case of them turning. There should have been a Hulk Busting Suit, etc. Instead we had a superhero having multiple nervous breakdowns. I was really let down on this one.

Iron Man 3 was really a disappointment to me. I see this interpretation of Iron Man as the Batman of Marvel. He should have made contingency plans for all of the Avengers in case of them turning. There should have been a Hulk Busting Suit, etc. Instead we had a superhero having multiple nervous breakdowns. I was really let down on this one.

Don't ruin it for me. :mad: :p

Double par +1
par 3 = 7
par 4 = 9
par 5 =11

Doesn't change the fact that double par + 1 is wrong.

PDGA Competition Manual for Disc Golf Events, Section 1.5 Practice Rounds and Beginning Play,

... If a player is not present to throw when it is his or her turn, the scorekeeper shall allow 30 seconds. If the player has not thrown after the 30 seconds has elapsed, a score of par plus four is to be entered for that hole. This procedure continues on any subsequent holes for which a player is absent.

So, basically, you admit that you knowingly allowed everyone else in the field to be screwed over by not saying anything to the TD because it didn't affect YOUR outcome.

Nice. :thmbdown:

Not quite. The TD let him do it in the first place and the other 3 guys on our card wanted the guy to finish without a penalty because the player was a nice guy. Their wasnt anything to tell the TD. He is the one who told him to replay the holes. All this about him only saying 2 holes and then replaying 4 is bogus. If you go to the TD "hey i missed the first 2 holes can i replay them" would you not think you missed more holes during his conversation? Their was miscommunication for sure but whether he replayed 2, 4 or 20 holes really isnt relevant. I admit i buckled under pressure and fell in line and gave my ok. The fact i was beating him by 5 strokes made it easier to do so. Im not the one who told him he could do it in the first place and i wasnt sure if the td had the power to allow it. I havent been playing but a few years and i dont know all the rules. However the fact that im getting blamed for it is ridiculous.

The TD let him do it in the first place and the other 3 guys on our card wanted the guy to finish without a penalty because the player was a nice guy.

Next time i wanna bend the rules, i'll just convince everyone I'm a "nice guy" and then it'll be ok. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, the TD screwed the pooch on this one. Pretty sure this wont ever happen again, thanks to this thread.

I would think that in the latter situation (feeling you couldn't do better than par+4 on a hole) would be grounds for disqualification for circumventing the rules of play. I think an emergency (a restroom run could qualify as one) is one thing, and surely the reason the rule was implemented, but intentionally skipping a hole to presumably save strokes is questionable.

It is really TD discretion, at least under the old rules., as I found out when I and the rest of the entire division refused to complete a round due to weather and the TD gave us all par + 4 for the holes not played. I asked over on the PDGA forum, and it turns out they have even allowed similar things at worlds before, including people quitting and then coming back and finishing up.

It is really TD discretion, at least under the old rules., as I found out when I and the rest of the entire division refused to complete a round due to weather and the TD gave us all par + 4 for the holes not played. I asked over on the PDGA forum, and it turns out they have even allowed similar things at worlds before, including people quitting and then coming back and finishing up.

Was their lightning or Tornado sirens going off? Otherwise, there is no reason weather should stop a tournament round.

Was their lightning or Tornado sirens going off? Otherwise, there is no reason weather should stop a tournament round.

Not true.

I've seen a tournament stopped from rain. There was not a second of thunder or lightning. But it was raining so hard, you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you.

Also sometimes it's not safe in the rain depending on the course. Like Renny in Charlotte. That place is just not safe to play when it's raining.

Reading stuff like I do here makes me glad that I've gotten in the habit of brown bagging my lunch so I don't have to leave the venue, or hitting the drive thru and coming right back if I do.

Not true.

I've seen a tournament stopped from rain. There was not a second of thunder or lightning. But it was raining so hard, you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you.

Also sometimes it's not safe in the rain depending on the course. Like Renny in Charlotte. That place is just not safe to play when it's raining.

I agree completely. But this is a case where the TD didn't cancel it due to the weather, but the players decided not to play. So the question is, should the TD have cancelled it? (in my opinion) Lighting is 100% cancel. Tornado sirens should be 100% cancel, no TD decision. Rainy weather is really up to the TD to provide for the safety of the competitors. If TD says "Game On", and a player disagrees with the TD's decision, they can choose not to play, but accept the par +4 if play continues without them. I'm sure they can protest with the PDGA Tour Manager, and having a whole division protest would be pretty strong statement.

Reading stuff like I do here makes me glad that I've gotten in the habit of brown bagging my lunch so I don't have to leave the venue, or hitting the drive thru and coming right back if I do.

There's nothing better than ordering a pizza the night before and throwing it in the fridge. Baggie a few slices in the morning and you're set. Preferably Pizza Hut thin-crust pepperoni and beef.

Not quite. The TD let him do it in the first place and the other 3 guys on our card wanted the guy to finish without a penalty because the player was a nice guy. Their wasnt anything to tell the TD. He is the one who told him to replay the holes. All this about him only saying 2 holes and then replaying 4 is bogus. If you go to the TD "hey i missed the first 2 holes can i replay them" would you not think you missed more holes during his conversation? Their was miscommunication for sure but whether he replayed 2, 4 or 20 holes really isnt relevant. I admit i buckled under pressure and fell in line and gave my ok. The fact i was beating him by 5 strokes made it easier to do so. Im not the one who told him he could do it in the first place and i wasnt sure if the td had the power to allow it. I havent been playing but a few years and i dont know all the rules. However the fact that im getting blamed for it is ridiculous.

Sorry, buddy, but your excuses don't wash.

According to your earlier posts, you claim that at the time you thought the par +3 was wrong, and that you had a problem with the TD's decision to let the guy play the missed holes but you intentionally chose NOT to raise your concern with the TD to clarify whether the correct penalty should be par +3 or par +4 and whether or not the TD DID say the guy could make up the missed holes, and if he did, how many holes he was allowed to make up, because it didn't affect YOUR result, but you also said you would have raised a stink if it HAD affected your result. In other words, "I got mine, so screw the rest of the field."

If you HAD gone to the TD and the TD DID say par+3, he could have corrected it before finalizing the awards, but you didn't because it didn't affect your result.

If you HAD gone to the TD, he could have clarified that the guy was only allowed to make up the 2 missed holes and either corrected the score for the other holes or DQ'd the guy for cheating, but you didn't because it didn't affect your result.

Sorry, buddy, but that's all on you. Hope you wear it proudly.