• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making tee times

westdisc91

Bogey Member
Hey guys. So since disc golf is growing and has over 100,000 pdga members with more regular players. Do you think that courses should start doing tee times. I know la Miranda probably has a tee time for how famous it is. My local course if u don't get there before 8-9 am it's least a 2-3 hr round with groups of 7 guys. Any thoughts?

Morley field is probably one of the busiest courses in the country, and no tee times and it's a pay to play course. Group sizes are limited to 5 people. I don't think tee times will help make rounds any faster. Disc golf is not like "ball golf". Ball golf schedules tee times seven (7) minutes apart to allow for play. If you want assigned tee times, what's next, a dress code with collared shirts, marshalls walking the course to speed up play?

The only situation where tee times make sense is for tourneys with a huge field. For example, they work well for the USADGC. But for casual rounds, no thanks.

La Mirada isn't even pay to play let along tee times and I haven't really encountered the wait there that I did when I played Morely, Oak Grove, and a few others. The only courses that I have seen that have tee times are private, usually pay to play courses. Ghost Town, Buckhorn, Selah, and a few others out there have tee times

Only at tourneys and if a pay to play course wanted to. I'm half in agreement with the "stuffy formalities" comment from before but I partly enjoy the code of conduct and etiquette the game is supposed to be played with. But no tee times a public course, and please no marshals.

Tee times? Umm no. If that starts, I'm outta here. That sort of stuffy formality is counter to the very aspects of what has made disc golf grow.

Totally agree with this ^^^^

It's ultimately why I quit playing golf.
My last round (with a Saturday tee time) took 6+ hours to play. What a waste of a day!

Totally agree with this ^^^^

It's ultimately why I quit playing golf.
My last round (with a Saturday tee time) took 6+ hours to play. What a waste of a day!

Op is trying to combat long round times. Honestly I am ready to quit disc golf because round times are 3 hours.

I was resistant to pay courses when they came around. Then I loved them because people stopped playing those courses and my rounds went back to under an hour. But now those courses are packed again.

If tee times drive away disc golfers like you I am all for them.

Op is trying to combat long round times. Honestly I am ready to quit disc golf because round times are 3 hours.

I was resistant to pay courses when they came around. Then I loved them because people stopped playing those courses and my rounds went back to under an hour. But now those courses are packed again.

If tee times drive away disc golfers like you I am all for them.

HUH?:confused:

I have no problem with pay to play

I do however have a problem having a tee time behind a seven-some.

Oh, and bite me:popcorn:

Another hilarious thread.

The 'stuffy formality of a tee time' is the equivalent of a reservation which ensures one gets to play when you and your group have play planned. When demand exceeds supply, especially for a sequential type of experience, it's the only way to simulate fairness for limited high demand slots.

An alternative might be differential pricing based on demand for each slot, which would only serve to disappoint the disc golfing public even more. Should disc golf continue to grow, tee times ARE the future for all high demand courses.

Anyone know if they have a starter at Morley Field? Catch my drift?

HUH?:confused:

I have no problem with pay to play

I do however have a problem having a tee time behind a seven-some.

Oh, and bite me:popcorn:

Exactly. People are not offended by pay to play anymore, so we need something new to drive away undesirable disc golfers. Sounds like tee times are perfect.

The 'stuffy formality of a tee time' is the equivalent of a reservation which ensures one gets to play when you and your group have play planned. When demand exceeds supply, especially for a sequential type of experience, it's the only way to simulate fairness for limited high demand slots.
I hate to break it to those of you who have the misfortune of living in one of these metropolises where demand is outstripping supply, but that's not the situation everywhere. Courses are in reasonably plentiful supply in many areas.

"You and your group"? That's the problem, sometimes there isn't a group. Sometimes we just want to play a few holes at lunchtime. Sometimes we want to throw two off the tee or putt three times. Sometimes you meet your buddy in the parking lot and decide to throw some holes together. Establishing tee times would inhibit these informal practices. Practices, that while annoying and rude when every hole is packed, are essential to getting people to learn the game on their own time and by their own means.

Had I been introduced to disc golf in an area where courses are packed and I couldn't play in an informal manner, I would not have gotten hooked, and I suspect that goes for a lot of folks.

I hate to break it to those of you who have the misfortune of living in one of these metropolises where demand is outstripping supply, but that's not the situation everywhere. Courses are in reasonably plentiful supply in many areas.

"You and your group"? That's the problem, sometimes there isn't a group. Sometimes we just want to play a few holes at lunchtime. Sometimes we want to throw two off the tee or putt three times. Sometimes you meet your buddy in the parking lot and decide to throw some holes together. Establishing tee times would inhibit these informal practices. Practices, that while annoying and rude when every hole is packed, are essential to getting people to learn the game on their own time and by their own means.

Had I been introduced to disc golf in an area where courses are packed and I couldn't play in an informal manner, I would not have gotten hooked, and I suspect that goes for a lot of folks.

in-your-future-i-see-a-cab-ride-move-out-of-the-sticks-gentlemen.jpg

My local course if u don't get there before 8-9 am it's least a 2-3 hr round with groups of 7 guys. Any thoughts?

If I had to deal with that, I'd probably stop playing. We have a lot of courses here around Raleigh so it's easy for me to jump on a course without any waiting. A lot of the time I can have most of a course to myself. I hope your town can build another course or two.