• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako3

We got them in at Disc Nation yesterday.

I grabbed the flattest one I could find - 175g Bright Yellow. Also to note for those buying these, most of flat Mako3s are in the 172-177g range. A lot of the max weights had more dome. But can't promise they will all be flat, just most in that range are the flattest.

So anways this might be my new favorite midrange. I currently use a QMS, MD2, MD3, Sentinel setup. I had been looking for something to fit between the QMS and MD2 - well I found it in the Mako3.

It has outstanding glide, and pushes forward really well. If you like the Axis, well this is basically a seasoned Axis or really more like a Comet in how it glides. It gets up fast and moves straight. For me it was getting to 375g on controlled straight throws. It just flies straight, tracks right a bit and fades forward(not left). For those at lower arm speeds this will be a great straight disc to learn on. For me I plan to use it as my flat turnover mid. I use the QMS as a hyzer flip mid, and I needed something with more glide that is better at holding a turnover from the start - and thats what the Mako3 does, just like a Comet.

It is a very well balanced mid, and reminds me a lot of really good flat 1st run Makos, but better...My favorite new mid since the Tangent

Video is planned from DN on this beautiful midrange

They put the flat top Rancho Roc top on the Mako and Shark

The Roc3, Shark3, Mako3 and now from the looks of it the Discmania MD3 all have the same top

What kind of variety in dome are people seeing on these? If I order online do I need to specify for the flattest available?

My Mako3 finally showed up, ordered it from one of the big online sites, the flight plate was totally concave, so I immediately thru it in an envelope and mailed it back and told them I did not want a replacement, I just want a refund.

Even though the flight plate was totally concave, just holding the disc I could tell it really is not a compelling improvement over a regular Mako, it still has a pretty blunt nose, and trying to make large diameter, thin, flat flight plates is going to create a lot of variance, some will be domey, some sunken, some flat, it will be hard to make them consistent, especially when they just keep ripping them from the injection molds as fast as they can and shipping them even when the flight plate is jacked (so very Innova).

Just wait until you bump into someone who has one and try throwing theirs, and if you like it, then buy one, but this is not a big change from the regular Mako and I would not recommend rushing out to buy one.

There are tastier mids I would recommend before the Mako3, Discraft just released all sorts of their mids in new production runs: ESP (Comet) Z (Meteor, Drone) and Glo (Comet, Meteor).........

My Mako3 finally showed up, ordered it from one of the big online sites, the flight plate was totally concave, so I immediately thru it in an envelope and mailed it back and told them I did not want a replacement, I just want a refund.

Even though the flight plate was totally concave, just holding the disc I could tell it really is not a compelling improvement over a regular Mako, it still has a pretty blunt nose, and trying to make large diameter, thin, flat flight plates is going to create a lot of variance, some will be domey, some sunken, some flat, it will be hard to make them consistent, especially when they just keep ripping them from the injection molds as fast as they can and shipping them even when the flight plate is jacked (so very Innova).

Just wait until you bump into someone who has one and try throwing theirs, and if you like it, then buy one, but this is not a big change from the regular Mako and I would not recommend rushing out to buy one.

There are tastier mids I would recommend before the Mako3, Discraft just released all sorts of their mids in new production runs: ESP (Comet) Z (Meteor, Drone) and Glo (Comet, Meteor).........

And you know all this from not throwing it?

I also just received a Mako3 that was warped due to shipping. A half hour in a sink full of hot water put it back in shape without any issue.

I will agree, though, that after throwing it this doesn't feel like anything different than the original Mako. I know the 3 series is billed as faster, but this felt just as slow. It does go dead straight with ease and is great for touch shots, though.

I've had my Mako3 for awhile, and I love it for short anny shots. It reminds me of my old Z Buzzz after it was broke in. It's not a disc I use often, but it's nice to have in the bag.

We got them in at Disc Nation yesterday.

I grabbed the flattest one I could find - 175g Bright Yellow. Also to note for those buying these, most of flat Mako3s are in the 172-177g range. A lot of the max weights had more dome. But can't promise they will all be flat, just most in that range are the flattest.
I sorted through a stack today. The heavy ones tended to have more dome, but I found a flat max weight red one.

Old Roc throwers are weird. I tried out the Mako3 today; tried to throw it flat but I just couldn't get used to it. I ended up throwing it with a bunch of hyzer to get it to fly like a Roc. :doh: At least I can say I like it better than a Buzzz if I ever can figure out how to throw it like I'm supposed to. It has better glide for me than a Buzzz.

I've thrown mine a few times, it's a protostar with a bit of dome so i don't want to overthrow it. i'll pick up another one soon that's flat and get more in to it.

seems like the mako3 is a bit faster or glidier than my super flat gummy mako in the bag now; but that mako has a bit less glide than the protostar makos i was throwing. definitely goes straight and holds lines really well. not sure it's all that much different from a mako though except it comes in tasty champ plastic.

I need to pick up more. I hate trying to describe what a disc does when I've only thrown one. The one I have does seem to hold the line you put it on, though.

I found it to be good anhyzer discs but it was affected by the wind a little more than I would have liked. I do have to say it does have a lot glide (more than was expecting). Holds a god straight line. I really like the plastic but.....I'm gonna stick to cycling Rocs.

Latest posts