• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] MARKET PLACE CRAZINESS

Im wrong.... In your eyes and the other Market Place rats eyes... But in reality people are stupid; Its just how it goes.

Edit... People pay more than for discs than what they are worth. That is Stupid.. You Can tell me Im wrong but Im not. Do I have some Crazy Discs yes. Did I pay alot for them.... No! Well one but Its a Gold CE Viper and guess what its IN THE BAG!

Last edited:
Picture this. You live in Middle of Nowhere, Iowa. There are no disc golf stores. No play it again sports. No Dick's sporting goods. Virtually nowhere to buy new plastic. You can go online to a number of reputable dealers, choose your weight and color, and hope for the best, while paying at least $3 shipping on a single disc...

Or you can go on the Marketplace, see the EXACT disc you will be purchasing, and possibly save yourself 1 or 2 dollars, while getting the exact product that YOU want.

What exactly is wrong with this?

Picture this. You live in Middle of Nowhere, Iowa. There are no disc golf stores. No play it again sports. No Dick's sporting goods. Virtually nowhere to buy new plastic. You can go online to a number of reputable dealers, choose your weight and color, and hope for the best, while paying at least $3 shipping on a single disc...

Or you can go on the Marketplace, see the EXACT disc you will be purchasing, and possibly save yourself 1 or 2 dollars, while getting the exact product that YOU want.

Absolutely nothing.

But that's not really the situation being discussed here. The "craziness" is insane markup by sellers and extreme lowballing by buyers.

Absolutely nothing.

But that's not really the situation being discussed here. The "craziness" is insane markup by sellers and extreme lowballing by buyers.

This was more directed toward OP and the last few posts that it is stupid for someone to be buying up "pearly" discs at a Tourney and flipping them for profit. It is perfectly logical. And if something isn't "worth" the pricetag that somebody lists it at, it just flat out won't sell, and that's all good.

ok..
I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about plastic, not a diamond, not a car, not a house, but we're talking about plastic.

hey I'm not gonna knock a guy for figuring out a great way to make some extra money on the side. just commenting on the hilarity of it all...from our perspective (because we have access to the latest n greatest in the tourney bins) it does seem stupid, but its really not much different than paying a couple extra for a "natural beauty" online... it's just taking that concept a little further and getting bidding wars going on it.

Do I participate in it? Not usually. I dont see much of it as profitable or sustainable.
But for the people that do, or can make it work, why hate?

Just let it happen and dont participate. What other people choose to do with their money, discs, and time shouldnt be of much concern to you.

Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay. If its that important to you, stop buying in the secondary market.

ok..
I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about plastic, not a diamond, not a car, not a house, but we're talking about plastic.

dont know if it was on purpose or not but I can help but ready that and hear Allen Iversons voice......

Absolutely nothing.

I have see to much of that in the marketplace really...I mean a few but most people are reasonable...

where I see the insanity is on the Facebook sites. Mostly the auctions people bidding stuff up to stupid levels, which is totally their own fault.

Why is it stupid?
You have 2 consenting parties, 1 willing to risk the initial investment and seek out buyers, and another who buys something they want, not sure how this is stupid

I think you're confusing "fair" and "stupid". Your example is fair in a free market. It is also very stupid.

Nothing, nor is picking up the phone and calling MarshallStreet, DiscNation, etc. or leaving a comment in their notes section.

The point is most people are price gouging and using other people's impulsiveness to flip discs that frankly aren't worth it. It's a hilarious contradiction to me (that few seem to realize): the concept of a super-rare disc was because that run flew a certain way that supposedly "nothing else flies like" - yet we have way more disc manufacturers and molds in the marketplace so you can fine-tune your arsenal with so much more precision now. SO, despite the crazy diverse offerings compared to even 5 years ago, we still go apesh*t over things like first runs of new discs because...we are creatures of impulse.

market place is awesome. I have yet to see a negative feedback on anyone. Not even one yet.
Stop hatin'

I always imagine people start with high asking prices cause there are a lot of cheap bastards on this site always trying to pay the least amount possible. You wouldnt beleive how many PMs I ignored regarding the Fade Tourney bag w/ the quads I had for sale. I got an offer of $32... for both.... shipped. Like.. seriously? It seems like people forget sometimes that a majority of the time the price is shipped. They see a 6/10 disc posted for $9 an ask.. how can you want $9 for that? I don't, I want $6 for it.

^^^Thank You!
...I feel the same way. If I need to build up some PayPal for a tourney entry fee, I wind up selling premium 10/10 stuff for a net of like $9. Can't even sell new dx plastic for what it costs in time & effort to get it shipped out. :wall:

I have see to much of that in the marketplace really...I mean a few but most people are reasonable...
That should have been havent....not have

I always imagine people start with high asking prices cause there are a lot of cheap bastards on this site always trying to pay the least amount possible. You wouldnt beleive how many PMs I ignored regarding the Fade Tourney bag w/ the quads I had for sale. I got an offer of $32... for both.... shipped. Like.. seriously? It seems like people forget sometimes that a majority of the time the price is shipped. They see a 6/10 disc posted for $9 an ask.. how can you want $9 for that? I don't, I want $6 for it.

Yeah people need to think about that....the least these guys are paying in shipping is about 3 bucks..thats the least..most use priority and thats 5 bucks if you can use the flat rate envelope....

The consider this....what are you going to talk the guy down? a dollar? three? is it really worth it? So basically I look at something if i'm comfortable with the price I go for it...if not I probably don't say anything...I guess I just kinda feel like its silly to ask someone to come 3 dollars off of something..

I have also not sent anyone a negative feed back...ever...every transaction I've made in the MP has been great, knock on wood right,...I buy with confidence and I have no problem if someone asks me to go friends and family, especially If i've seen them on there for a while....

One thing for the sellers though, sometimes they forget to leave you feedback for buying.....I always feedback you please feedback me too. sometime you have to remind them....No biggie I guess

F&F on a facebook site??? Probably not I'll cover the extra fees so I have recourse if you take my money, but then again is it worth the hassle for 15 or 20 bucks? Maybe not, but I'm not on their buying CE stuff for 50 and a hundred dollars either...that for sure would go goods and services

It's a bad example. Iowa has many disc golf stores, play it agains and dicks. It also has some of the best dg courses in the country.

I always imagine people start with high asking prices cause there are a lot of cheap bastards on this site always trying to pay the least amount possible.

See, I always imagine people start in with the lowball offers because they don't value any disc at the some of the ridiculous prices placed on even newer discs.

I've had respected MP traders tell me flat-out, "This is marked waaay up just to see if someone would actually buy it at that price."

Do I see a problem with that? Hell no. It's that guy's disc to sell at whatever price he thinks he can get for it. I respect that and appreciate the honesty.

But I also don't see a problem with someone thinking that price is waay off (which it was) and lowballing the offer. Because that lowball offer is what the potential buyer values the disc at.

If some middle ground can be reached and both parties are happy with the transaction, then swell! That's the MP working as it should.

What pisses me off is when people get bent out of shape at either 1) the high prices or 2) the lowball offers.

People value different things at differently. That's how a free market works. If you don't like a price or offer, you are free to simply ignore it. But don't get all pissy about it.

Someone just bid up one of the flag dyed 10th buzzes to 60 and the auction just started this morning...I mean sure they're rare, but you can still get then at a regular price....

It may sound bad, but I wish I had the money to take advantage of these fools.....because they deserve it

Last edited: