• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max D driver combos

discspeed

* Ace Member *
I find max D drivers to be the least versatile discs in the sport. This is probably at least part of the reason why Innova (Vulcan, Katana, Groove, Boss, Ape, and lots of speed 11/12 drivers as well) and Discraft (SSNukeOS) have made so many versions of their fastest/furthest flying discs. Due to this I've always seemed to need more D drivers in my bag than other discs, despite many of them rarely being used.

On my home courses I never get to rip D drives with abandon as there is always a gap/low ceiling/looming OB to think about on the long holes. So on the course I'm limited to about 420'-430' of controlled D. I've tried over the past few years to find the smallest number of different discs that I needed to carry to get the lines and wind performance needed for my distance driving. For the first time I've whittled it down to two molds that have been tested true and going strong for a few months now. I'm throwing(from understable to overstable) a seasoned Tourney Sword, a seasoned VIP Sword, a new VIP Sword, and a slightly seasoned Quasar. I've been quite happy with this lineup, though I do keep a NukeOS in the car for hurricane type winds (though I've yet to need it this fall).

I'm curious to see what other max D combos are being used.

It really depends on where you draw the line for "max D" but for me it's basically just Nuke and PD2. I have a worn Nuke and a newish Nuke for big bombers and the PD2 for windy bombs. I also have a couple of XCalibers and a Pulse that I use for more controlled distance.

I picked up the Sword after reading what you (DS) wrote about it. I am very impressed by it. I have it in both VIP and TP but really only carry 2 TP versions one more seasoned than the other.

The Sword is a control type distance driver for me.

I also carry a King which is my wide open field no wind distance disc. I'm still trying to figure this disc out. I have a slightly seasoned TP version that has the low dip wing tips and it is very understable. I may have OAT but it flips to flat and over.

I need to add another one that is more neutral.

If the wind is out and I need bid open distance I have a Rampage (green). It is still quite new, still has flashing and hasn't taken any whacks yet. Without a solid wind to throw into it is too much disc for me. I need to give this disc some work yet.

im currently disc'd down but before (and hopefully after) i was throwing Surges and Sidewinders. Never been a fan of the super wide rims but i would carry... fresh and worn esp surges, elite-z for rare winds,etc. and worn/fresh star sidewinders for straight,turnover,rollers. I seemed to have all the shots covered with those discs but just wasnt really happy with distances so went down for a bit.

I throw the Force/Nuke combo. Been throwing my Forces for 2 years and the seasoned Nuke for ~6 months. I've been happy with them. The discs do what I want. Didn't try adding the Nuke OS/SS to my bag this year, maybe next spring.

seasoned 172 Z Nuke, beat 169 FR ESP Force, seasoned 170 Z Force, extra stable 173 Z Nuke, beefy 175 Z Force

The beat/seasoned Forces are workhorses and do everything I need when the wind isn't blowing hard. I'd be sad if I lost either of them, and that is the only complaint I can level against the combo: there is a fairly large gap in stability between the two discs when new.

I find I almost have two sets of Max D drivers depending on openness of the course and wind or chance of wind. (I usually have at least one force with me as a utility/roller disc no matter what setup I am using.)

Regular setup

Set one Z Nukes and Halos (RHBH/FH 80/20) - Nukes for slow S shots and long straight shots. Opto Halo for spikes, FH and big skip shots. I would drop the halo but it handles the FH shot so well and is not as nose sensitive as a nuke it hides my flaws and throws easily.

Wind and Maxx D setup

Destroyers and Z Forces (RHBH/FH 80/20) - I find this is my farthest flying combo and lets me air it out when the need is there. The work horse is the star/eco destroyers in this combo. For skips and flex shots the force works really well and super reliable. I do miss the Halo here and sometimes feels like I have a hole in my bag as I can not throw as far FH with either of these discs.

Cheers - Koffee

I have some Nukes and Bosses in my arsenal that I might break out more if I got to play some more open courses with less danger, but I would probably just try to find some less stable Quasars.

For the most part controlled D is my max D, so I prefer the straightness and control of my Swords. I generally hyzer flip them on low lines that slowly turn slightly and fade slightly. They respond great to my 85% throw, which usually yields me around 400' on hyzer, straight, or anny drives. That same throw doesn't get the faster discs going as well and they all fade/skip too much for me. On full power throws I just add more hyzer or plan for a line that turns more. I can do the 85% throw into a moderate headwind and keep the disc under control, but it is squirrely at full power into the wind. This is where the Quasar comes into play for me.

Overall what distances drivers are best is all very individual to the thrower. They are generally thrown about as hard as you can comfortably, and are touchy to nose and release angles. Replacing them can be a real pain because small differences can translate into another learning curve. When I find ones that I like I always hoard identical backups.

I throw the Force/Nuke combo...I'd be sad if I lost either of them, and that is the only complaint I can level against the combo: there is a fairly large gap in stability between the two discs when new.

Discraft needs something in between the Nuke and NukeOS...perhaps the ESP NukeOS will be less stable/glide more and be that disc. I've heard their pros complain about this gap in the lineup. For some reason Nukes don't seem to hardly ever come out with more HSS (only ones I've thrown were lightweight purple).

My max D drivers are just Nukes and Forces. I carry two Z Forces, one a little beat for a bit more D, one new so that it will fight the Oklahoma wind better. I carry 4 nukes. 1 new Z for slight hyzer flips and controlled D, one beat ESP for a little more distance and a little more control and 2 Xs for tailwind, turnovers, and roller duties.

I don't have the kind of power you do, discspeed, but I've become a huge fan of Pro Destroyers. They've got to be the most consistently molded/produced distance driver I've found. They seem to fly identically even between different colors and weights.
They're perfect stability for my power level (360' controlled, 400' max D).

When new, they'll take everything I've got and not flip.
After a few tree knocks, they're dead nuts straight with a predictable finish.
Once beat, they'll hyzerflip to flat, turn controllably from flat, and given enough height they will bomb.

I do have to keep an extra slot open for an overstable distance driver. I've gone back and forth between domey star Destros and green/yellow Z Forces. Even max weight Pro Destros won't take a stiff headwind as well as I'd like.

I love that they're only like $9 too. So I can afford to cycle them as often as I want. And I can buy one on a whim when I run across a pretty one. As a dyer, I love knowing that I can grab a couple white ones and have about as good a canvas for a multi-color dye as there is.

My favorite is finding swirly ones. Remove the stamp and suddenly everyone thinks I'm throwing an SDS Destro on laser lines. :D

Discraft needs something in between the Nuke and NukeOS...perhaps the ESP NukeOS will be less stable/glide more and be that disc. I've heard their pros complain about this gap in the lineup. For some reason Nukes don't seem to hardly ever come out with more HSS (only ones I've thrown were lightweight purple).

I found a couple blue Z max weights Nukes with a high PLH that are a little more flexy than regular Z, kind of like the batch of Z Wasps and Preds (and probably other discs) a while back that were real flat and more overstable than normal. They're pretty hard to turn over or flip up but have significantly more glide than a Nuke OS. I still don't throw them directly into strong headwinds, but they're super reliable for hard line drive skip shots and anhyzer flex shots, in your distance range, in light winds.

The Maxx D driver is like a hat you find one that fits and you keep wearing it. I also think the course I play 60 pct of the time has shaped my bag a lot. It has made me take out some of the floaty drivers that I like and replace them with discs a little more reliable. This course is in a Box canyon and if you play all 27 you end up having 6 to 7 holes at the end of the canyon with the wind swirling. Which is fun and interesting but it does punish the super glidey discs.

Don't really play any courses with long, wide open holes so I haven't had much chance to work on my max D shot. I carry a Wraith and an Archon and use those when I get the chance. But for me right now, they aren't much farther than my Leopard and Teebird.

typically I need three kinds of max d shots for courses in my area.

Anny bombs- for this I've been using a star archon.

Straight wide open bombs - for this I've been going back and forth between hyzerflipping a champ archon or flexing a champ wraith. I would probably throw something I could get a lil farther but for the courses I play it's not necessary.

large fairway lined with trees and a slight left turn bombs - here I've just been using a champ tl for placement, setting up my second shot. Although lately I've been considering a PD or starfire.

Don't really play any courses with long, wide open holes so I haven't had much chance to work on my max D shot. I carry a Wraith and an Archon and use those when I get the chance. But for me right now, they aren't much farther than my Leopard and Teebird.

My home course holes range from 300-over 1000', depending on basket position, & most all have elevation. There's only a few that you could consider flat. For my arm, I can empty my bag on most of the holes. Awesome to go out early on a Saturday or Sunday & throw 9-10 drives on every hole, trying a different line every time!

I'm still using a Boss/Destroyer combo for max distance. Reliability and the great feel coming out of my hand. That, and the touch I can get with both, makes them mainstays in my bag. I prefer the Boss in star plastic and the destroyer in star and Champ.
I will mix in others to compliment. My fly dye Z Nuke is fantastic. Anny turns, hyzer flips, ultra long, and that run of plastic is surely the best I have ever seen!!

I like the starfire/SL combo. Starfire for long straight drives with heavy fade, or flex shots. And the SL for max d and s curves. These two discs can handle all of my distance needs.

This is a nice thread b/c I'm looking for a slightly OS disc that will compliment my Destrulcan. Not sure if the regular Destroyer is the disc or if there is a better compliment. Not looking for something that is NukeOS or Boss stable, but stable with a nice predicatable fade.

Right now I'm just using Wraiths. I've been using a Pro for most shots and a beat DX for understable needs, but now that the Pro is seasoning I'm going to pick up a new Pro. I'm also thinking about picking up a light Star or Eco* for wind and beef. Atm I'm just discing down to a Pred or Eagle for wind.

Latest posts