• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

meeting dg'ers on the course.

TheDudeAbides

Bogey Member
I just wanted to post that in the short time I have been playing I've met some really nice peeps on the course. I played competitive sports as a youth and coached my son in baseball for several years. it's crazy how some people are. I know DG is very competitive and there are douches everywhere, but so far I don't see it. this is one aspect of the game I really like!

Welcome to the addiction. I agree with you that most DGers are really chill laided back people. You will run into the occasional group of players that have no concern for anyone else but I think that in reality those are the minority. Again welcome to the strange world DG and DGCR.:hfive:

Just got back from a round met two guys out there, both good dudes. I have met some cool peeps also. You will run into the d bags too, but in my case for the vast majority of people I run into out there are solid. Have found several people that can play at the same time as me, it's nice not to shoot solo all the time.

I like this post a lot. I have recently played some new courses and found the locals friendly and helpful.

Last year when I was in the DFW area I hit up three courses. At each one I just walked up to the first bunch of locals I saw and started talking. Each one was friendly and super helpful with navigation. I wouldn't actually say I had a bad experience disc golfing until yesterday and that was a local guy. For the most part I find the average disc golfer to be above average in the nice and cool department.

earlier this "spring" i ran into some total douchebags when i was rollin solo. funny how nobody barks when the crews out.. since then ive encountered the nicest, most unique people from all around the country.. still nobody from this place though.

Mr. glass I love your farmhouse pic. I saw many shows in the 90's until the first hiatus.
Me too, sitting at 53 shows so far. It's harder to see them now that I'm an adult, but I love them. Cannot wait to hear some new tunes. Farmhouse was my college anthem. Love that album!

One of the things that got me even more interested in my addiction was meeting some extraordinarily helpful DG'ers when I first started playing in 2011. Of course, I'd toss a few in the weeds, so I was impressed when the next guy to come along would ask, "what color?" and spend five minutes helping me. Turns out he was in town (Cincinnati) from Minnesota. Another time, I planted one in a cypress tree, and a guy (from Wisconsin!) climbed up there and got it for me. Those two stick in my mind.

I'd say it's a rarity when I've seen anything less out there. Now that I keep most of mine in the fairway, I try to be the helpful one when I can. :eek:

I just wanted to post that in the short time I have been playing I've met some really nice peeps on the course. I played competitive sports as a youth and coached my son in baseball for several years. it's crazy how some people are. I know DG is very competitive and there are douches everywhere, but so far I don't see it. this is one aspect of the game I really like!

From my experience, with a few exceptions DGers are very competitive at the tournament level or if there's money on the table. But in a casual round or even most leagues, it's about playing your game not beating the other guy. One thing I've rarely seen is the competitiveness leave the course.

I've only ran into a couple in my 10 years during casual rounds. Now mini and casual rounds are different. It seems like the number goes to 1 in 2-3.

It is hit-or-miss for me. I have met some of the coolest people ever by asking randoms to play with our group, or asking to play with theirs. I have also met some of the most annoying A$$holes ever too, and the whole round I regret even asking them to play.

I'm pretty level headed most of the time. Everynow and then I'll cuss a bit,but I'll yell out, sorry!

I'm one of those guys you see at the course who is willing to help another if they lose a disc or is willing to help someone if they ask me "how did you do that"?

I'm usually a goofball most of the time.

i have yet to play with douchebags(i have seen quite a few) but there were 3 guys that on my first day ever at the local course let me play with them, super nice, very helpful, but playing in a few tournaments i have had a couple annoying a$$ players on my cards(have also had really cool people) but at the local course in SD people are very friendly and helpful, and as i am getting better and better if i go play a solo round i try to pick the newest looking group of guys and play the round with them to help them out(be it throwing tips, or spending 10min throwing rocks at a disc)

Last year when I was in the DFW area I hit up three courses. At each one I just walked up to the first bunch of locals I saw and started talking. Each one was friendly and super helpful with navigation. I wouldn't actually say I had a bad experience disc golfing until yesterday and that was a local guy. For the most part I find the average disc golfer to be above average in the nice and cool department.

DFw disc golfers are mostly very friendly....southern hospitality

The d-bags are on the ends of the bell curve. Either they're in the novelty phase of enjoying frisbee along with visual cover from parents/police, or they're self-important pros/AM1s.

There's a member of Team Innova who's not welcome back in the store at DN. That honor is usually reserved for belligerent drunks :)

100%agreed. Been playing for 2 months now and, even in the handicap money league I joined(where, because of my crappy handicap, I've won the pot once already) I get tips in the middle of the round from more experienced players. My bro in law lost a disc in a town about 30 miles away. A week later he got a call from a local that found his disc. Majority of players are good people

Just got back from a round met two guys out there, both good dudes. I have met some cool peeps also. You will run into the d bags too, but in my case for the vast majority of people I run into out there are solid. Have found several people that can play at the same time as me, it's nice not to shoot solo all the time.

Didn't we meet at Highbridge last summer, maybe the year before? I was with my friends Josh and Brandon. Brandon was the little dude with the tats, and was very much a newbie. We rented a cart. You were staying in the little cabin?

My local course is a mediocre 18 hole thats rated around a 2 or so located in a small town in southeastern washington. Most of the people I see on the course I know by first name. Not too often that I get to meet new people. Today was quite different. As my group is walking down the fairway, we notice an older gentleman in a group nail around a 100ft upshot on a nearby hole. Me and my friends yell "Nice Shot"! One of the ladies in his group says "Ya, Not bad for being in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame". They continued on to their next hole and we kinda just stood there gaping. Later on we met up with them on another hole and introduced ourselves. The guy turned out to be Tom Schot a former World Champ. Very cool down to earth guy. He signed a bunch of our discs, took some pics, and gave the one 11yr old kid in our group his 2011 Worlds sunglasses off his head. Later on when I got home I read that he founded and designed DeLaveaga! This goes to show you never know who you might bump into on your local course.

Didn't we meet at Highbridge last summer, maybe the year before? I was with my friends Josh and Brandon. Brandon was the little dude with the tats, and was very much a newbie. We rented a cart. You were staying in the little cabin?
have not made it up there just yet. next summer.

Latest posts