• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Meltdown Rounds

I've only been throwing a couple of years now, and have meltdown holes and rounds. The one thing I won't let myself do is get ANGRY....this never helps....one must have a very short memory span, because the only throw that matters is the one you are about to make. Gotta keep your head in the game, getting angry causes me to lose focus, leading to a bigger meltdown.

A nice long drive off the tee is awesome, but it is your 2nd shot that is the most important.

A good 2nd throw will either be a deuce or leave an easy three. Bad 2's lead to 4's or worse.

A perfect example, started on Hole 17, at Hiller, with a 5 from the white tees (292 feet), no OB's or penalties, just lousy throws and a 3 putt, I let it get inside my head, and the entire round sucked, finished at 5 over.

Played again the other day and deuced 17, 18, and 19, by the end of the round I had 9 birds and one bogey, finished 8 under.

The moral of this story.....Meltdowns happen....don't let it get inside your head.

At my last tournament, the scorecard for my first 5 holes read

6 - 3 - 12 - 6 - 6

Pre-emptive meltdown.

I also once took a 5-stroke lead into the final round of a tournament, and didn't cash.

So if you want to talk about meltdowns, have a seat and I'll tell you all about them.

My general theory is, when the wheels come off, to keep throwing and try to throw my way through the slump and come out the other side. The round's score may be ruined, but it's a chance to work out the kinks and practice a few things, without the pressure of the score meaning anything. I've played long enough to know the wheels can jump right back on, given the chance.

Some great stuff here, folks!

For me, since I haven't played in a real tournament for close to a decade, it's really that point when I stop having as much fun. I think I really started to get buggy on my 2nd bad hole in a row knowing I was one disc lighter and my approach took that awkward roll in the wrong direction.

I think when playing with others I am much easier able to keep my arm in check and don't try to muscle things too much. But alas, many of my rounds are solo and I really want to try and outplay my last round at the course. Since I don't have a huge arm and suck at distance putts, any hole over about 300 feet just scrambles my brain.

I think I need my next round at Moraine to be one with someone who is playing there for the first time. That way almost any score I have will still be the better of the two and make me at least temporarily feel better...

Meltdown rounds are killing me. I'm talking 100+ rating points different. I'm working on finding some things to help distract me so I don't let one bad hole snowball, but it just keeps happening. It's pretty frustrating quite honestly.

Just focus on the next shot. You can't do anything about the last shot / hole. I try to never focus on the last shot, even if it was a good one. I try to use bad shots / holes as motivation to do better on my next shot.

I've found that it's best to eliminate high risk shots after throwing a bad shot. It's tempting to try to make up for a poor shot, but getting risky usually leads to a meltdown hole. Following bad shots with shots that have a high percentage of success will usually end up as a bogey at worst, not a meltdown.