• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental Putting

Jacob

Birdie Member
Okay, i have been playing for over a month now and I putt with a 167g DX Aviar. Recently i have started having anxiety about putting inside 20'. Not full on anxiety attacks but enough to freak myself out of some very close ones (I missed a 10' putt by about 10' yesterday).

Any advice or tips that could help me cool myself down before putting?

Take a deep breath before you release

Find your routine. Everyone has a specific routine of putting, once you find yours, it will serve as a mental cooldown before you putt it.

I try not to think too much at all. I find I do better if I just walk up and throw rather than draw it out and give myself time to stress about it.

It sounds like you've already missed the putt before you've even marked your lie... have confidence in yourself. It goes a long way.

practice putts you can make to build your confidence- even if you have to start 5 feet away.

find a routine and stick to it. my preference is to putt pretty quickly to keep my head from getting in my way. world champs cam todd and ron russell both did this as well.

my routine amounts to clearing the crap behind my lie to make for good footing without really looking at the basket, taking a breath (still not looking at basket), look up at basket, find a chain link on the opposite side of the basket to aim for, putt.

I've found that the more I think about it as "putting", the harder I make it on myself. I played throw-and-catch games and freestyle and such so much as a youngster that it helps me to approach it like playing catch with a metal partner -- I know I can do that, and I question and doubt myself less that way. For a while, I was my own worst enemy by trying to incorporate too many "tips" into my routine -- the whole "paint the pole" thing, etc. I've found that the fewer parts of me I have in motion before the actual putt, the better off I am. Of course, the farther out you are, the more you need move in order to get momentum transferred, and anything outside of 20' is still pretty much a crap shoot for me these days.

Of course, everyone's different, so your experience may be the direct opposite of mine.

Think about the putt going in to the basket before you let it go, don't think about all the ways you could miss it. It's all about confidence.

practice putts you can make to build your confidence- even if you have to start 5 feet away.

find a routine and stick to it. my preference is to putt pretty quickly to keep my head from getting in my way. world champs cam todd and ron russell both did this as well.

my routine amounts to clearing the crap behind my lie to make for good footing without really looking at the basket, taking a breath (still not looking at basket), look up at basket, find a chain link on the opposite side of the basket to aim for, putt.

You got some good points. I practice putts I can make to build my confidence when putting and it helps. I think finding a routine is another key to putting.

I make the putt in my head twice in a row before letting go. I KNOW it's going in, or I don't throw.

For SOME reason, the others on my card make me physically throw it anyway. No faith.

Go figure.

i dont know if this will help with the mental part but on those close putts i like to point at the basket after i throw kinda helps me know why i miss it cause usally im pointing straight at it when it goes in.

it might also make you feel better when it goes in, like take that mfer or like youve got mind control or something.

Okay, i have been playing for over a month now and I putt with a 167g DX Aviar. Recently i have started having anxiety about putting inside 20'. Not full on anxiety attacks but enough to freak myself out of some very close ones (I missed a 10' putt by about 10' yesterday).

Any advice or tips that could help me cool myself down before putting?

I used to have the same problem. Just relax and take your time. I see too many beginers just walk up , pick up their putter and throw. Take you time when you putt.

Also investing in a Discraft Magnet will help also:D

Also investing in a Discraft Magnet will help also:D

ha...you would go there.

Confidence and relaxation the main thing. Practice a lot and remember how those feel when you're on the course. You've got plenty of great tips so far. One thing I think helps with concentration is picking out the link in the chain you want to hit. Aim small, miss small.

for a good read on the mental game of golf which is highly applicable to disc golf try "golf is not a game of perfect" by dr bob rotella. great ideas couched in a pretty easy read.

Throw lots of practice putts a couple/few days a week. I recommend Perfect Putt 360

Develop a routine that you follow every time.

As you walk up to your putt on the course - the one that counts - tell yourself that it's a practice putt (I say "backyard putt") this helps me calm down the jitters and locks me into the chains/basket.

My putting game has been on fire since I started following this routine.

I think I am one of those who definately putts better when I just quickly step up and throw. Not a walking putt though. I have practiced quite a bit trying to learn my form and hone my skills trying to putt better, but anything outside of 20 feet, if I just step up, look and throw without concentrating or thinking to much about it, I tend to make a lot more of those. I need to put this to a test and actually calculate it out if this will be my best option. Any other thoughts on this? Anyone else switch from a very rigid form to a quick throw of the putter and improved their putting?