• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merch payout in tournment

adamsm

So...if I play in a division that is paying out cash but want to remain AM does that mean if I win do I get the equivalent in merch or does the cash just go to the next placing person?

Ive seen it done both ways, though it was trophy only for AMs when they kicked the cash to next person.

So...if I play in a division that is paying out cash but want to remain AM does that mean if I win do I get the equivalent in merch or does the cash just go to the next placing person?

Every pro tournament I've cashed in, I've gotten merch equal to my winnings.

I've had it work both ways. Usually I just asked the TD in advance (when he's got a minute), "Either way you like to do it is fine, but just curious: if I cash today & need to decline (to retain my amateur status), which method do you plan to use?" :thmbup:
...after I played my one and only Am Worlds, I 'turned pro'. Now I'm ready to quit my day job!

..as if! :eek:

By the pdga the default rule is cash is supposed to be declined and passed onto the next person but the player may be given merch instead of cash at the TD's discretion. So check with the TD beforehand. Speaking from a club president's perspective we will always allow cashing pros to take merch instead of cash. Cash is just passed through us for pros. When a pro asks for merch we actually make a little bit of funds from that because the difference in wholesale/retail value. I can't imagine a TD not allowing you to change cash to merch because it's better for their bottom line.

By the pdga the default rule is cash is supposed to be declined and passed onto the next person but the player may be given merch instead of cash at the TD's discretion. So check with the TD beforehand. Speaking from a club president's perspective we will always allow cashing pros to take merch instead of cash. Cash is just passed through us for pros. When a pro asks for merch we actually make a little bit of funds from that because the difference in wholesale/retail value. I can't imagine a TD not allowing you to change cash to merch because it's better for their bottom line.

No, the default when it comes to ams finishing in a cashing spot in a pro division is they take the cash.

It is 100% up to the player how they want to handle it, but they make the choice on how they get paid out. There is no default in terms of declining vs merch in lieu of cash. It's whichever they prefer.

I think this is where the confusion is:

PDGA Competition Manual 1.10 Distribution of Prizes:

A. Any prizes (money or merchandise) declined by a player must pass down to the next finishing position. (Example: If a player placing third declines his prize, the player in fourth place will receive third place prize, the player in fifth will receive fourth place prize, etc.) Tournaments are allowed to retain prizes that have been declined by all players within a division only after the declined prizes have been passed through all finishing positions. This does not include an Amateur player requesting merchandise in lieu of cash in a Professional division.

Note that last line.. unlike Pro players 'declining' cash, Ams requesting merchandise in lieu of cash in a professional division are not forfeiting their winnings to the next finishing position.

I think this is where the confusion is:

PDGA Competition Manual 1.10 Distribution of Prizes:

A. Any prizes (money or merchandise) declined by a player must pass down to the next finishing position. (Example: If a player placing third declines his prize, the player in fourth place will receive third place prize, the player in fifth will receive fourth place prize, etc.) Tournaments are allowed to retain prizes that have been declined by all players within a division only after the declined prizes have been passed through all finishing positions. This does not include an Amateur player requesting merchandise in lieu of cash in a Professional division.

Note that last line.. unlike Pro players 'declining' cash, Ams requesting merchandise in lieu of cash in a professional division are not forfeiting their winnings to the next finishing position.

Thanks, good answer!

Latest posts