• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

I just heard that the baskets at Pioneer Trail Park DGC in Escanaba will be pulled for the winter this year. There were complaints about too many cars parked outside the front gate while playing winter golf last year. The park made us a small parking lot near the gate that can hold maybe 15-20 cars, but on some weekends there were 50+ vehicles there, with the overflow parking on the highway shoulder. The county's solution? Shut 'er down.:wall:

Wow thats stupid. What time of the year do they pull em?

Wow thats stupid. What time of the year do they pull em?
I heard from the park manager that they'll be pulled around the end of October. This is coming from the conservation district director who hates disc golfers and was not going to tell anyone what he was planning. The park manager gave us the heads up so we wouldn't freak out when it happened. I played every day last winter, and we still plan on playing all this winter, probably with buckets or some sort of temporary tone poles. They have no idea who they're dealing with.:D

Thanks for posting KW! Like ru4por said, too bad they had to perpetuate the negative DG stereotype.
Another thing also caught my eye:

I won't pass judgement before playing it, but I hope they were intelligent about laying things out "where all the walking paths are." :\

Played Dogman's Den (Oakwood) yesterday. I wasn't impressed. I read an article back when they were designing that said "Championship caliber" and then this last article that said "Top notch". I was disappointed. It's an alright little pitch and putt course in the woods. There are some major design flaws that are my biggest pet peeves such as walking backwards across fairways that you already played to get to the next hole, among other things. Only 4 holes over 300ft. Many ace runs. A lot of my customers love the course, so I may be way out of line for disliking it, I don't know. I'm waiting to hear opinions of people that don't give it an "A" on the Scene just because they have a new course to play.

I don't think there will be much issue with the "walking paths". The park is tiny and I didn't even know it existed, even though I grew up 15 minutes from there. Didn't see one person out there that wasn't disc golfing.

I guess, in the end, it's another ok option for people to play. I'd rather just go a few minutes either way to Addison or Seymour.

Last edited:
I've had so many people tell me that I'm crazy and that Oakwood is an amazing course. I guess don't take my word for it lol

Played Dogman's Den (Oakwood) yesterday. I wasn't impressed. I read an article back when they were designing that said "Championship caliber" and then this last article that said "Top notch". I was disappointed. It's an alright little pitch and putt course in the woods. There are some major design flaws that are my biggest pet peeves such as walking backwards across fairways that you already played to get to the next hole, among other things. Only 4 holes over 300ft. Many ace runs. A lot of my customers love the course, so I may be way out of line for disliking it, I don't know. I'm waiting to hear opinions of people that don't give it an "A" on the Scene just because they have a new course to play.

I don't think there will be much issue with the "walking paths". The park is tiny and I didn't even know it existed, even though I grew up 15 minutes from there. Didn't see one person out there that wasn't disc golfing.

I guess, in the end, it's another ok option for people to play. I'd rather just go a few minutes either way to Addison or Seymour.
I was there from about 11AM - 2PM yesterday... played a couple of rounds. Can't disagree with your review. IMHO, if people like short and technical, they'll like this course. If they don't, they'll think it sucks. It does the short technical thing fairly well (which I actually like), but not exceptionally so, and it lacks the variety a well-balanced course needs.

Not a bad course, but like a great many things, it doesn't live up to the hype. I find most players simply aren't very objective.
Potentially more safety issues for players than pedestrians. :\

Last edited:
I heard from the park manager that they'll be pulled around the end of October. This is coming from the conservation district director who hates disc golfers and was not going to tell anyone what he was planning. The park manager gave us the heads up so we wouldn't freak out when it happened. I played every day last winter, and we still plan on playing all this winter, probably with buckets or some sort of temporary tone poles. They have no idea who they're dealing with.:D

Looks like the baskets at Pioneer Trail Park will be pulled Oct. 9 when the park closes. An article in the newspaper today blamed damage done to the woods by disc golfers, specifically the two local clubs, as the reason for the closure. I don't know what to say....:(

Looks like the baskets at Pioneer Trail Park will be pulled Oct. 9 when the park closes. An article in the newspaper today blamed damage done to the woods by disc golfers, specifically the two local clubs, as the reason for the closure. I don't know what to say....:(

Hopefully write a carefully worded, rebuttal. If the damage is due to the impact of discs hitting trees, I might question the actual impact. If the damage is due to outside influences, I might point them out. I guess some damage control to help increase the chances of the course being put back in or marketing for a different areas. Good luck.

Hopefully write a carefully worded, rebuttal. If the damage is due to the impact of discs hitting trees, I might question the actual impact. If the damage is due to outside influences, I might point them out. I guess some damage control to help increase the chances of the course being put back in or marketing for a different areas. Good luck.
The damage they refer to is from foot traffic. This course was supposed to be for the campers, and they thought it would be lightly used, but became enormously popular with the locals. Both local clubs offered to provide maintenance but were rebuffed, and then accused of trying to take over, then accused of cutting trees down, creating erosion, and vandalizing the course. I'm not sure what will happen now.

The damage they refer to is from foot traffic. This course was supposed to be for the campers, and they thought it would be lightly used, but became enormously popular with the locals. Both local clubs offered to provide maintenance but were rebuffed, and then accused of trying to take over, then accused of cutting trees down, creating erosion, and vandalizing the course. I'm not sure what will happen now.

That sucks. I think you, or someone, has written of the contentious relationship between the game, clubs and the Parks head. Sometimes the bad press is not worth the fight. Sometimes courses end up being poor fits for an area....for any of a bunch of reasons. Again, it sucks.

speaking of escanaba. Discgolfscene.com is listing a course at the local golf course. does anyone know if this is a permanent thing or a one-time for the tournament listed thing?

speaking of escanaba. Discgolfscene.com is listing a course at the local golf course. does anyone know if this is a permanent thing or a one-time for the tournament listed thing?
If it was Highland, it's a temporary tourney thing. I believe it's for Smokin'Chainz Monster Bash glow tournament in October.

That's so ridiculous! Keep fighting the good fight, I dunno how to go about something like this unfortunately, but man there is definitely lots of information out there on how low impact our sport is to the environment, it just needs to get to the public (and through their thick skulls). This is still a winter only thing though right?

That's so ridiculous! Keep fighting the good fight, I dunno how to go about something like this unfortunately, but man there is definitely lots of information out there on how low impact our sport is to the environment, it just needs to get to the public (and through their thick skulls). This is still a winter only thing though right?

It really has nothing to do with winter golf, but the amount of foot traffic the course gets. The guy said the woods needed time to "heal". That tells me the baskets may not go back in next spring if he feels that the course hasn't healed itself over the winter. They were completely overwhelmed by the amount of players and they have no idea how to handle it. They see us as dirtbag hippies and won't consider anything we have to say. I think it may be the end for Pioneer Trail Park.

It really has nothing to do with winter golf, but the amount of foot traffic the course gets. The guy said the woods needed time to "heal". That tells me the baskets may not go back in next spring if he feels that the course hasn't healed itself over the winter. They were completely overwhelmed by the amount of players and they have no idea how to handle it. They see us as dirtbag hippies and won't consider anything we have to say. I think it may be the end for Pioneer Trail Park.

It pains me to hear this, it seems that dg has largely been breaking away from that stereotype.... Gladstone must really want to keep their heads in the sand I guess. Sad info especially with all the growth of dg all together throughout the U.P.

Disc golf has been embraced by everyone in the U.P. except Delta County. I really don't understand why they hate us so much. I think they feel threatened, although I don't know why. There must be something in the water around here that makes people hate and fear new things. I've been butting heads with these idiots for three years, and I'm too old to fight. I'll be heading south this winter, and I'll be looking for a better place to live next spring when I return.:wall:

Boom park, pictures, distances, review posted.

hoping to check off:
Red Arrow
DiscFunctional Acres
Ketchum Park (in it's current 6-basket state)
next week sometime

The baskets at Pioneer Trail Park Disc Golf Course were pulled very early this morning by Rory Mattson, executive director of the Delta Co. conservation district. The baskets were supposed to stay in until Oct. 9. It's doubtful if it will ever be open again.:confused::mad::(

Latest posts