• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midranges for distance

How far can you throw your mids?

• 100ft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 150ft

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 200ft

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • 250ft

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • 300ft

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • 350ft

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • 400ft

• 450ft

• Total voters
i also use a buzzz for distance when i need straight distance

I think I've become addicted to mids. I carry a Roc, a Buzzz, a Warrior, a Demon, and a Core. There's a little overlap with all but the Demon, but they're all a little different. I think the one I've thrown the for the longest D so far is the Warrior, although I haven't had the Buzzz too long, and haven't thrown it a lot yet.

I use the wasp or the buzzz if I want distance off a mid. And if you consider it a mid, the storm is extremely long as well. It sits about where the stingray is I believe. It's like a longer buzzz.

Are you talking about the storm I traded you? If so, what weight was that one? I had a 166 in the bag but it didn't have enough fade, I still have a few heavies ( though ones for scooter ), think that might help?

I think I've become addicted to mids. I carry a Roc, a Buzzz, a Warrior, a Demon, and a Core. There's a little overlap with all but the Demon, but they're all a little different. I think the one I've thrown the for the longest D so far is the Warrior, although I haven't had the Buzzz too long, and haven't thrown it a lot yet.

Yeah, I am still trying to master the Warrior but it seems like my noodle arm could flex it and it would come back.

My 150g DX Roc is my most consistent longest mid avg 310'. I've gotten my 173g FLX Buzzz out 350' once just recently, usually right about 300' though, as well as my 175g DX Roc. I want to see what my Comet will do for me now with a nice hyzer-flip.

Glide

I don't have a big arm, but the Core goes farther than my other mids. It just seems to glide forever when I use it off the tee. My older Opto Core seems a little longer than my new Goldline version. The Opto also seems a little more stable to me.

Yeah, I am still trying to master the Warrior but it seems like my noodle arm could flex it and it would come back.

I still haven't thrown an E HPP one, like yours, but I'm loving my sure grip one. I wonder if the E is more overstable, or less. Most times the "candy" style plastic is the most overstable, but with Gateway's putters, E HPP seems to me to be a little more towards understable than the S stuff. I need to stick one in the bag to try it out.

I have played for about 3 years and very early on in my game dropped all mids and used putters for all my mid range approach shot discs. Two years later I have found the Buzzz and love throwing mids. Sometimes I can get my Buzzz out to 300 feet with some hwight under it, about 30 feet or so and it does a nice little s curve to it. If I throw it straight on, I get about 250.

If you want to throw mids for distance, well you're a smart man.

I would highly recommend a few discs depending on what you already like...

Z Wasp, Z BuzZz, Z Meteor (hyzer flip a meteor and it will go go go...)

Gator

Warrior, Element (again with the hyzer line)

They'll all do you proud.

\/\/

I haven´t tried a Meteor,Warrior or Element before but I would love to try them out.

I haven´t tried a Meteor,Warrior or Element before but I would love to try them out.

If you go looking for an Element, you might try the X version. It's overstable compared to the "plain" Element. I've thrown both and IMO the X will handle a distance throw better. The plain Element tends to get squirrely when you really crank on it. That and they suck in the wind.

Since I've started playing i throw three different Rocs. (i get the most distance out of star san marino)
I picked up a mako just last week, i havent tee'd off with it to much but from what i can tell it will get plenty more distance than the Rocs with a lot less hyzer.

If you go looking for an Element, you might try the X version. It's overstable compared to the "plain" Element. I've thrown both and IMO the X will handle a distance throw better. The plain Element tends to get squirrely when you really crank on it. That and they suck in the wind.
FIWW, the Element has been retooled to be a bit more overstable and the Element-X has been discontinued. The Warrior is Gateway's new mid that's more overstable than the Element-X was.

FIWW, the Element has been retooled to be a bit more overstable and the Element-X has been discontinued. The Warrior is Gateway's new mid that's more overstable than the Element-X was.

Thanks for the info. The retooling is probably a good thing. I look forward to trying one.

I throw a 180 Star Mako and I have never, ever thrown a mid that gives me the distance with NO FADE. i'm a huge fan of this disc.

Latest posts