• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Mint Discs

I picked up an Electron (?) Trace on a whim about the same time as the Nocturnal Longhorns came out. I though they were too similar to bag both (flight and feel), but I did carry the Trace for a couple rounds as my "water Longhorn"

I'm waiting for the premium plastic putters to come out also... could use a Apex or Sublime Profit for sure...

Any news on the Phoenix and Grackle?

i was wondering if anyone was going to notice lol they were just approved recently. i cant speak on the phoenix just yet. i also cant really go into huge detail on the grackle until we get samples in from production run but i will say this is a speed 7ish fairway, longer mustang but decent hss with a little lss. reminds me of a teebird/eagle/qjls type driver. lots of glide, minimal dome and flies very straight with a gentle fade. it will compliment the jackalope nicely or when you need a longer mustang shot :)

i was wondering if anyone was going to notice lol they were just approved recently. i cant speak on the phoenix just yet. i also cant really go into huge detail on the grackle until we get samples in from production run but i will say this is a speed 7ish fairway, longer mustang but decent hss with a little lss. reminds me of a teebird/eagle/qjls type driver. lots of glide, minimal dome and flies very straight with a gentle fade. it will compliment the jackalope nicely or when you need a longer mustang shot :)

You make a disc called the Grackle, I'm gonna take notice.

I love the Austin wildlife disc naming scheme. Nieces visited over the weekend and they were wondering what those loud azz black birds were.
Had to look up the "Common Grackle".

I still havent been able to find a spot in the bag for any Mint discs. I have tried so hard.
The Grackle could be interesting. I assume the stamp will be dope and the plastic money.

Im happy to see these discs flying off shelves locally.

Just wanted to say that the Eternal Longhorn is a fun throw, it makes a great understable complement to my Traces. Have they made sublime Longhorns? Are they flying any different than the eternals?

Just wanted to say that the Eternal Longhorn is a fun throw, it makes a great understable complement to my Traces. Have they made sublime Longhorns? Are they flying any different than the eternals?

Yes they made sublime. You can still find some as well. I cant speak to how they fly but the ones i have fondled had more dome(or higher shoulder) to them.

Last edited:
the ones that have more dome and are firm are typically more high speed stable than the flatter ones and that seems to be the consensus across all plastics. i throw a flat et and a domey et, both different in flight and compliment each other well.

a lot of these posts lately have me really interested in this lineup. with Discraft moving to more of a tour series/boutique model, no sense in avoiding craft plastic companies anymore.

I'm pretty interested in the alpha, freetail, and jacklope mainly - and also the Goat. If anyone has any insight/comparison for the following, that would be awesome: Goat v Hurricane, Alpha v Undertaker, and Jackalope v Maverick. I don't currently carry a roller disc but I want to use one again, so interested in adding the Freetail for that.

a lot of these posts lately have me really interested in this lineup. with Discraft moving to more of a tour series/boutique model, no sense in avoiding craft plastic companies anymore.

I'm pretty interested in the alpha, freetail, and jacklope mainly - and also the Goat. If anyone has any insight/comparison for the following, that would be awesome: Goat v Hurricane, Alpha v Undertaker, and Jackalope v Maverick. I don't currently carry a roller disc but I want to use one again, so interested in adding the Freetail for that.

I'd say an Alpha is more like a Vulture with a little smaller rim. It is a tick faster and more overstable than my Ledgestone Glow Undertaker. I imagine with some seasoning they pick up enough turn to cover straighter lines. A QOLF might be a good comparison.

The Jacklope is pretty similar to an FD/Leo3 but a little faster. I've only thrown a C FD so my Sublime Jackalope had more turn than that. It's somewhere in the 7/8 speed range with a smaller rim than an Alpha. I bagged Alpha/Z Undertaker/Jackalope as my core fairway lineup for a while and it felt really good. I've only thrown a Maverick a few times but a fresh Mantis might be a good comparison.

The new run Freetails sound like they have a variety of stabilities depending on plastic. I had a more stable run of Apex that was reliably understable but not super flippy like it sounds the current Apex run are. It was a super fun disc for tailwind shots.

Anyone thrown the Lobster yet?

After playing around with my wife's Piwakawaka I finally added one to my bag. I'm loving it for touchy, powered down stuff and hyzer flips and turnovers but the hand feel isn't quite my cup of tea. (Although it agrees with my hand way more than a Comet)

I got to handle a Lobster in a local store and it felt really nice and the flight numbers remind me a lot of the Piwakawaka.

I've been throwing the Lobster the last month or so. It was love at first feel and flight, but since then I've been in a love/hate relation with it. It'll either turnover too much if I throw it too flat, or fade out if I finesse it too much, or give it a little too much hyzer, especially with a tailwind. Still a great woods disc when powered down.

I'm also interested in the Streamline Echo, which according to one guy's early impressions, it should slot right in between the Lobster and the Hex.

I've been throwing the Lobster the last month or so. It was love at first feel and flight, but since then I've been in a love/hate relation with it. It'll either turnover too much if I throw it too flat, or fade out if I finesse it too much, or give it a little too much hyzer, especially with a tailwind. Still a great woods disc when powered down.

Thanks. Sounds fairly similar to my Piwakawaka. I appreciate the first hand review.

I ended up ordering a pair of Des Goats (168 and 174) - full well knowing they probably won't make the bag over hurricanes. Also picked up a Freetail, alpha, and Jackalope. Hoping the alpha/Jackalope combo is reminiscent of the very old PD/FD combo I threw back before discmania started to get silly

I ended up ordering a pair of Des Goats (168 and 174) - full well knowing they probably won't make the bag over hurricanes. Also picked up a Freetail, alpha, and Jackalope. Hoping the alpha/Jackalope combo is reminiscent of the very old PD/FD combo I threw back before discmania started to get silly

i was a long time pd/fd combo user as well and they both replaced those discs for me. the latest run of apex alphas are beefy like cpd's but the sublime lighter weights that are flatter are reminiscent of the early runs of spd's. i bag one of each and of course some seasoned variants as well to fit in between. the jackalope is similar to a faster leo,seasoned fd with some being closer to a fresh fd, the key is to find flat jackalopes , those are the ones closest to the fd with a little hss. the ones with a higher shoulder tend to be closer to a leo flight.

the grackle will fit right in the middle of the alpha and the jackalope, still hss but less hss and easier to manipulate . nocturnal tends to be a little stable for some molds but i think the other plastics will give more options to what suits players bags.

apex tends to be the least stable of the plastics so the new apex freetails are standard freetail flight and very easy to throw. the sublime freetails have a little more hss and a higher plh so they can be flipped but will fight out of the turn a little more if given the proper room.

most stable plastic to least (usually)
nocturnal/eternal> sublime> apex> royal.

the apex blend in the alphas and goats is a bit more stiff than what the lobsters are in, those stiff apex blends hold up well but they did seem to raise the plh in the molds, even though they are overstable molds to begin with.

Anyone thrown the Lobster yet?

After playing around with my wife's Piwakawaka I finally added one to my bag. I'm loving it for touchy, powered down stuff and hyzer flips and turnovers but the hand feel isn't quite my cup of tea. (Although it agrees with my hand way more than a Comet)

I got to handle a Lobster in a local store and it felt really nice and the flight numbers remind me a lot of the Piwakawaka.

the one thing people have commented the most on is how the lobster feels really well to them and theres been a silly amount of lobster aces recently so id say its being well received like the freetail has been. it reminds me of a tursas/meteor and has a stupid amount of glide for being a fast midrange. i cant wait for other plastics as im not a huge fan of apex for understable molds since it seasons faster than others but its been a nice addition to the bag.

des reading replaced her stingrays of many years with them and she seems to be taking well to them if that means anything :D

the one thing people have commented the most on is how the lobster feels really well to them and theres been a silly amount of lobster aces recently so id say its being well received like the freetail has been. it reminds me of a tursas/meteor and has a stupid amount of glide for being a fast midrange. i cant wait for other plastics as im not a huge fan of apex for understable molds since it seasons faster than others but its been a nice addition to the bag.

des reading replaced her stingrays of many years with them and she seems to be taking well to them if that means anything :D

The Lobster replaced my Piwakawaka, and I now almost always reach for the Mustang over the Hex.

In my experience, the Lobster doesn't have quite the crazy glide of the Piwak, but it also has a more "normal" size flight plate. In this respect, the Piwak is more like a Comet - an acquired taste.

For a relatively slower arm like mine, the Mustang/Lobster combination is great. Sublime Mustang flies dead straight with a tight fade at the finish; the Lobster will go dead straight throughout - or get a little turn with some power without fear of turning and burning.

I have always imagined that the Bobcat was too stable for my arm, so it wouldn't find a place in my bag. But with the addition of the Mustang and Lobster, Mint has really put together a great lineup of mids.

Latest posts