• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Mint Discs

The Lobster replaced my Piwakawaka, and I now almost always reach for the Mustang over the Hex.

In my experience, the Lobster doesn't have quite the crazy glide of the Piwak, but it also has a more "normal" size flight plate. In this respect, the Piwak is more like a Comet - an acquired taste.

For a relatively slower arm like mine, the Mustang/Lobster combination is great. Sublime Mustang flies dead straight with a tight fade at the finish; the Lobster will go dead straight throughout - or get a little turn with some power without fear of turning and burning.

I have always imagined that the Bobcat was too stable for my arm, so it wouldn't find a place in my bag. But with the addition of the Mustang and Lobster, Mint has really put together a great lineup of mids.

thank you for the insight and compliments sir! i think the midrange line up is great. the trio covers all shots for me , im just getting used to the lobster still since i was using a beat in royal mustang initially. its like the difference between the comet and meteor, different speeds and types of movement but im finding the lobster to be a nice substitute still. try a royal bobcat and season it in and you may like it to throw in a slot once it seasons.

I got to throw my new discs yesterday. The freetail and Jackalope are going straight in the bag. The jackalope is really workable on hyzer flip lines and shaping turnover shots, and sneaky long. The freetail is a great feeling long understable driver which has been missing in my bag for a while. The alpha is a good disc but probably doesn't fit in my bag - it reminds me of a brinster teebird or maybe even a worn champion banshee. Very consistent, slightly overstable flight. The Goat is way overstable for me, even the 168 (orange, has a slightly higher PLH than my 174 dayglow). Probably handy in the windy plains, but I don't need something that is hypercane overstable very often. Maybe I need to look at the Longhorn instead? I've been browsing for a speed 11 driver as I've lost a bit of distance anyway

Apex plastic is amazing and feels top tier like L64 Royal, with a bit more tack/grip to it. Eternal is definitely the best premium champ type plastic I've ever felt.

Looking forward to checking out the Grackle when it's available as well. Hoping it can fit my lineup/ability a little better in pair with the Jackalope.

I got to throw my new discs yesterday. The freetail and Jackalope are going straight in the bag. The jackalope is really workable on hyzer flip lines and shaping turnover shots, and sneaky long. The freetail is a great feeling long understable driver which has been missing in my bag for a while. The alpha is a good disc but probably doesn't fit in my bag - it reminds me of a brinster teebird or maybe even a worn champion banshee. Very consistent, slightly overstable flight. The Goat is way overstable for me, even the 168 (orange, has a slightly higher PLH than my 174 dayglow). Probably handy in the windy plains, but I don't need something that is hypercane overstable very often. Maybe I need to look at the Longhorn instead? I've been browsing for a speed 11 driver as I've lost a bit of distance anyway

Apex plastic is amazing and feels top tier like L64 Royal, with a bit more tack/grip to it. Eternal is definitely the best premium champ type plastic I've ever felt.

Looking forward to checking out the Grackle when it's available as well. Hoping it can fit my lineup/ability a little better in pair with the Jackalope.

great to hear sir and thank you for the compliments! the freetail is our most popular mold , its used by so many players and the jackalope is right behind it since its much slower but still controllable. check out the lobster if you need a flippy midrange similar to those! i think youll like the longhorn but the diamond back that will be coming out this year is going to be the one you may like more. i prefer it over the longhorn but both are great molds. nocturnal grackles drop tonight 7pm cst at www.mintdiscs.com only but more plastics are releasing soon and announcements will be made for those stock runs too.

a lot of these posts lately have me really interested in this lineup. with Discraft moving to more of a tour series/boutique model, no sense in avoiding craft plastic companies anymore.

I'm pretty interested in the alpha, freetail, and jacklope mainly - and also the Goat. If anyone has any insight/comparison for the following, that would be awesome: Goat v Hurricane, Alpha v Undertaker, and Jackalope v Maverick. I don't currently carry a roller disc but I want to use one again, so interested in adding the Freetail for that.

I have an Alpha, Undertaker and a Jackalope. The Alpha (Sublime plastic) is more OS than the Big Z Undertaker even though the Alpha is way more seasoned than the Undertaker. I'd probably have to put a little anny on the Alpha for it for get some turn whereas the Undertaker I could probably throw flat or slight hyzer and it would turn and fade -- two different discs IMO. The Alpha is closer to the Teebird and the Undertaker closer to a Valkyrie.

The Jackalope is really nice. I got it to replace my Essence -- it's still fresh so the flight isn't as US as the numbers suggest, but I can tell it's going to beat in nicely. If you throw it flat, it will slowly turn and hold before quick fade.

Ordered 2 grackles, hope they fit in the slot where the alpha was too overstable. Possibly could carry all 3 but the alpha seems pretty close to a Uli raptor but maybe a tick slower. The jackalope just clicks with how I throw, laced some shots with it at league. I think that will be a fun one to use going forward, unless it's really windy (but it probably bombs in tailwinds)

Ordered 2 grackles, hope they fit in the slot where the alpha was too overstable. Possibly could carry all 3 but the alpha seems pretty close to a Uli raptor but maybe a tick slower. The jackalope just clicks with how I throw, laced some shots with it at league. I think that will be a fun one to use going forward, unless it's really windy (but it probably bombs in tailwinds)

the grackle will still be stable but not nearly as much as the alpha while still being able to do just as much if not more for you. im really liking the nocturnal run that was just release, ill get some actual course time with it today but field work has been great with it. the jackalope works for a lot of fans,theres a couple of differences in stability with the plh height ive seen, which has only been either slightly more hss or truer to the #'s. the grackle will be able to handle the windier days though if need be ;)

I might have to check out the suime grackle, the nocturnal is just too overstable for what I'd need in that slot. The ones I have remind me of champ banshees, which might be great for a higher power player than I am.

I did get my hands on an eternal Longhorn, it seems so far to be the 11 speed driver I've been wanting. A tick more overstable than a Rogue but not as much as a wraith

Does the Grackle slot in between an Alpha and Jackalope? Loving both my Alpha and Jackalope (and Lobster!) in my bag, but am doubting how much uniqueness the Grackle will add to my bag. Especially because I recently added a Passion and it's my straight flier, which is what I think the Grackle would do just as well. Either way, can't wait to get my hands on one eventually. Mint discs is slowly taking over my bag and I'm not mad about it! Now just gotta get me some jerseys :)

For sure - but you might want to check out the heavier sublimes (which just launched today). The nocturnals are much more similar to an alpha than they are to a jackalope.

I'm loving the longhorn, jackalope, and freetail. The grackle is potentially in a weird spot to break into my bag lineup (I don't use speed 7s much and haven't for years), but the nocturnal reminds me of a beat champ banshee or fresh Brinster teebird.

The Mint products and plastics are really good, imo. (and hopefully I can get some more longhorns soon!)

I bought a Glow Grackle today from my local pro shop. I had heard that it's a little more overstable in the glow plastic.

Grip and feel is good. No flashing or sharp edges. Not as grippy or gummy as champion color glow (my fav plastic), but maybe a hair grippier and gummier than Neutron/Apex.

Glow performance isn't quite as good as my Eclipse 2.0 Reactor, but it sustains the glow for a long time. If Champion color glow was a 4/10 in glow performance, and the Eclipse 2.0 a 10/10, then I'll give this an 8/10.

Rim measures in at 17.8mm, just like a Teebird/3. The inside of the rim might be a little plussy, as my micrometer didn't quite rest flat on it as well as the Teebird3 I was measuring. It definitely doesn't feel plussy like an Undertaker though. PLH is same height as a Teebird.

Flight wise, this are very Teebird like. I'd liken it to a Teebird after a couple months of seasoning. I'd rate as 7/5/-.25/2. It has the most miniscule amount of drift to it if thrown flat, and a solid fade at the end after pushing forward for a long ways. It's actually very similar in flight to my personal favorite, the Barela Color Glow Teebird3, which is a little more mellow compared to a traditional star Teebird.

The Glow Grackle is an amazing disc in flight, and also very good in glow performance.

Last edited:
i have a freetail in alpha that ive only had for about a month and about 5-7 rounds. do they beat pretty quick ? seems like its getting flippy quickly which i didnt really expect it due to the plastic.

i have a freetail in alpha that ive only had for about a month and about 5-7 rounds. do they beat pretty quick ? seems like its getting flippy quickly which i didnt really expect it due to the plastic.

you mean apex? if so, I haven't experienced that yet, but I'd be pretty happy if it did. I use a freetail pretty solely for backhand rollers, and it's just a tick more stable than I want still.

apex wears down faster than the other premium plastics, it also depends on the course but most of the premium stuff lasts down here in rocky tx. try an eternal or sublime , theyll hold stability a little longer than the apex.

It takes around a year of play for my apex/neutron stuff to move a couple points in flight numbers, usually a combination of gaining 1 turn and losing 1 fade.

I think I'll be able to get in the field and try out the sublime grackles, finally. Hockey season is starting up so my disc golf availability is starting to wind down. Again, I'm not really sure a speed 7 disc has a spot in my lineup (since I use speed 8/9 and speed 5 mids too) but the plastic is good, the mold is solid, and the company is worth supporting.

Need to hear more about the Diamondback! The Jackalope is basically what I always wanted out of a sidewinder, so interested to see where it fits in the lineup.

Mint has sneakily assembled a pretty solid line up. I'd bet I could cover all my midrange needs with a Bobcat, Mustang, and Lobster

I know this is regarding 2nd runs, but might give some insight.
Alpha_Run_2_Flight_Feedback_AP02-17_Responses_-_Sheet2_3_1024x1024.jpg

Are there charts like this for other Mint molds?

Are there charts like this for other Mint molds?

Not for other molds, unfortunately. There is more information on various first and second Alphas on the old blog page. https://mintdiscs.com/blogs/news

There was a combination of a couple factors why they said they wouldn't do the charts that way. Everybody loved them, but after a couple of molds the company really took off and it was very time consuming. Probably even more importantly, for the first few years everything sold out in a day, which meant by the time they gathered all that data from testing and opinions and hearsay, you couldn't buy the one you wanted anyway.

Also, overall the runs have gotten much more consistent within a run. I don't think it matters what color you get in any of the recent releases. For example, Phoenixs came out a couple weeks ago. Heavy versus light vs glow does make a small but noticeable difference, but I've not heard any reports that color mattered at all.

They've also being releasing a small primer video (we're talking like 30 seconds) with the more recent molds (Diamondback, Grackle, Phoenix) on their Instagram page. Just showing what the mold is supposed to do, how the rim looks, any PLH difference between plastics, etc. Those should still be up if you wanted to check them out.

Latest posts