• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Missed ace comiseration thread Pt. 2

BZoods

Par Member
Continued from this thread...

Anyway. The story of my missed ace today.
Today I almost hit my 4th ace (3rd in less than 45 days after an 8-9 month wait after my 1st)

It was the 18th hole at Goat Hill in Oceanside, CA Scorecard and DGCR say 447', but I'm not sure if that's to the same pin position or if it's even accurate. Regardless, it would have been my longest ace by at least 120'.

Basket was in the right position, which required a turnover shot for me (RHBH) to get to because of trees in the way blocking a hyzer. My disc (12x Wraith) held one of the most perfect turnovers I've ever thrown. Wound up hitting chains to the left side of the basket and dropping out.

I'm sure there's plenty of you around that have recently missed aces narrowly, so tell us your stories.

OK. Playing in the Dub Debries doubles, I chained out on 17 with my Axis.

The next Friday, somehow the Axis disappeared from my bag. Got a call Saturday morning, and I went and picked it up. Got the ace on 17 Sunday with the newly recovered Axis.

Lost it on Monday.

Got it back on Wednesday.

Throwing it a lot since then.

Last week I received my misprint box from dynamic and was throwing multiple shots just figuring out which ones would stay in the bag. I reached hole 8 at bicentinnal park which is in close position. It's a throw straight down hill shot. I broke out my stag first. And had that feeling. I released it side arm and as soon as I threw I knew it had a chance. It gets to the basket and breaks right. Then continues to glide. (By the way that is a glidey little disc). I think to myself man 1 foot over that is rattling the chains. Seems like a little too much disc though, which i knew it was when I picked it up to throw. So I think to myself time to try this underworld out. I throw it. And my stomach sinks. I know I nailed it. It makes it final descent to the basket. I get ready to celebrate. And all of a sudden it finds an air pocket and raises up skimming the top of the basket. My heart sank. I just missed the shot again. Both disc have made the bag now so I am hoping for good things from them. It just sucked being out there just trying new disc and come so close with two different disc. I did go back this week and throw the underworlds at my last round there. And I throw it down and hit a branch right above the target not falls down and hits the edge of the basket and rolls a few feet away.

last year was playing a makeup "church" round for our league.

Big Creek # 13 I pull out my BS Buzz and as soon as I let go my buddy says "do church aces count for the ace pool money" (which for me it would have)

next thing we look down, I hit just left of dead center and chain out, would have been my 2nd ace in 20+ years of playing and would have netted me $80.00 :mad::mad::mad:

funny enough is that same buddy was with me when I hit my first ever ace, need to play some more rounds with him :hfive::hfive:

Two weeks ago I hit basket 4 times in one week. No aces.

I haven't had an ace yet this year but I hit the cage with my Volt from about 300 last week throwing backhand. Second metal of the year. Felt really good to do it with what is now my workhorse driver.

Unfortunately I have kind of lost track of how many aces I have. I bielieve it is 7 or 8. This time was exciting for me because I bielieve I've only had one other backhand ace with a driver. About 5 or 6 forhand aces, one with a putter backhand, and my longest was about 350 backhand up a big hill. I hope to add 2-4 this year but I gotta get one first!

Kind of unrelated but has anyone ever had someone pull their disc for them after an ace before they can get to the basket? Happened to me once and for some reason I really felt violated to not get to walk up and see it in the chains or tray. I didn't complain but that's not cool bro!

Our amateur league kicked off the 2013 season last Saturday. On Hole 8 I had a Roc3 slam the chains hard but was washed out. The next round the group in front of us had a guy hit that same basket even harder, even squarer, and still had his splash out. Then a guy in our group came up to that hole and faded a drive in that hit the yellow Innova belt on the top cage.

Three almost aces on the same day on the same hole. Since it was the league opener, the ace pool was tiny. However, at our 2012 season opener event we had two aces (only one of which actually paid into the pool). I do not mind smaller ace pools at the beginning in exchange for sharing in on the excitement that amateurs have when they hit aces. In both cases last year, it was their first ace.

I have hit a ton of aces, but mostly during practice rounds and matches, but never during a league event. Last year on our last day of our Highbridge trip I had an Ion solidly in the chains and was already cheering when the chains swept it out. That would have been my first during any league event or tournament, and the ace pool was over 115 dollars at that point.

Kind of unrelated but has anyone ever had someone pull their disc for them after an ace before they can get to the basket? Happened to me once and for some reason I really felt violated to not get to walk up and see it in the chains or tray. I didn't complain but that's not cool bro!

While not the same, this did remind of a time when I aced during a solo round on a blind hole. I was wearing headphones and knew the hole was clear. The Echo Star Wraith faded perfectly in but I never heard the chains. A guy on the tee box a hole over comes running out of the trees separating the holes with his arms in the air and yelling something. I swear to God I thought I hit him and was ready to apologize.

Once I took my headphones off I realized he was excited because that was the first ever ace he had witnessed.

While not the same, this did remind of a time when I aced during a solo round on a blind hole. I was wearing headphones and knew the hole was clear. The Echo Star Wraith faded perfectly in but I never heard the chains. A guy on the tee box a hole over comes running out of the trees separating the holes with his arms in the air and yelling something. I swear to God I thought I hit him and was ready to apologize.

Once I took my headphones off I realized he was excited because that was the first ever ace he had witnessed.

Sweet story!

Poor house farm Park, Hole 12, 195ft. Play with some friends and his family, Decide to throw my 175g Z Force for fun. It's my only ace disc,I hit metal earlier on a short, uphill forehand shot, and had parked a 315 tunnel shot on hole 11. Decide to play the skip, throwing a low hyzer backhand, we see it fading behind a tree, hear it skip and watch it come out of nowhere to hit the chains and fall out left.

It was one of those it has to be perfect to have a chance so even though it's the closest I've ever been to acing that hole I probably won't do it again.

Poor house farm Park, Hole 12, 195ft. Play with some friends and his family, Decide to throw my 175g Z Force for fun. It's my only ace disc,I hit metal earlier on a short, uphill forehand shot, and had parked a 315 tunnel shot on hole 11. Decide to play the skip, throwing a low hyzer backhand, we see it fading behind a tree, hear it skip and watch it come out of nowhere to hit the chains and fall out left.

It was one of those it has to be perfect to have a chance so even though it's the closest I've ever been to acing that hole I probably won't do it again.

It was the disc golf gods frowning at you for throwing speed 12 under 200 feet :p

JK nice shooting. You'll get one soon enough if you keep banging chains off the tee.

Tourney in '94 at Warrior's Path I threw a anny shot on hole 2 with my favorite beat up Cobra and when it hit the chains it broke up in to 3 pieces.

Unfortunately for me the two large pieces were on the ground and the small piece was in the basket and I ended up with a drop in birdie.

It's possible that the disc had a hairline crack in the edge and probably would have split anyway.

I blasted center chains with my drive off of a skip on hole 1 on my course today with an MVP Shock. Though thanks to the fact I have yet to install a second set of chains, and probably aided by the below freezing temperatures, the disc tumbled right through and rested 5 feet away. :(

To make matters worse I took two steps, slipped on an icy slope sending my feet shooting out forward and causing me to yard sale right on my bag and throwing arm. I ended up ok but it was an unusual 20 seconds. :eek:

It was the disc golf gods frowning at you for throwing speed 12 under 200 feet :p

JK nice shooting. You'll get one soon enough if you keep banging chains off the tee.

I ended up skipping that hole 11 shot in on Friday. Two aces, 1 disc, She is my baby.

Missed tree ace

Hole 8 at bicentennial in Crowley Texas, short position. Westside underworld flick. I bounced off a tree just left of basket (my line was only about 4 foot off), and watch it scrape the bottom of basket, and hit pole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 18
Yesterday.

Crystal Lake Park. Beaver Dam, WI. Hole #16

Lat 64 Saint. Hit the very top of the basket, flipped like a coin toss and dead hit the ground.

f613416c.jpg

(Stock picture...)

Hole 12 Bancroft Bay DGC. Ripped a star destroyer and a big hyzer line. Smoked chains and was sitting on bottom of cage. Must have been spinning pretty good because it popped out. Missed the doubles ace pot because of it also.

I was at Oshtemo last fall on hole 16 with a buddy of mine. The hole is almost perfectly straight down a hill and the fairway is thickly lined with pine trees. I throw my neutron axis and it laser beams toward the basket. Both me and my friend are standing at the top of the hill like "ohhhhhhh." It hit chains dead center. Then my axis tipped me the bird, scooted to the right by about a foot and continued flying for another ten feet. This left us both with our jaw hanging open followed by a chorus of "how the **** does that happen?" I still have no idea how that was even possible.

Latest posts