• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Missed ace comiseration thread Pt. 2

Hornet's Nest hole #4, witnessed by bravethrower43.

Started off poorly. Shot 5-4-3 on the first 3 holes.

So I get to the tee and I say "I'm skipping the 2, going straight for the 1."

I'm a LHBH so I like the hyzer line over the baseball field to the left of the pole.

Looked money the whole way.

SPLASH, and limped over the basket edge.

462c252d.jpg

6534a4ca.jpg

Hole # 16 in verdugo golf course.

Throw a prodigy D1 sidearm slight s-curve hit chains then middle of the pole.

Bounced out 1 foot in front of basket...:)

A few weeks ago...

Hole 15 @ Quaker's Challenge is easily the shortest hole on the course, but it also probaly has the most trees on it ;)

My right shoulder is fuct, so I have been playing as a lefty for the last several months. Accuracy is not something I have developed yet as a lefty, however I pured a hyzer from the tee that was never more than 5' off the ground.

I was surprised that it made it past the first several trees, then things got all slow motion-y on me... I thought to myself "holy ****, that has a chance". I just so happened to have a good buddy on my card that round, I heard him say "Skip Ace"... and wouldn't you know it, the disc skipped... kept turning... headed strait for the basket... nailed the yellow chastity belt and dropped straight down in front of the basket :(

Not only would that have been my first left-handed ace, but also my first ever ace.

Oh well... it should happen eventually.

Recently, I have been on the Ace Hunt. At a small tourney in Senioa, Ga, I hit chains on a sidearm skip ( M1) on my very first throw of the day. Nothing else seemed to come close after that. That would have been for money. A few days later, at my "home" course, I threw the same disc, on a forehand, and hit chains for an ace. It was neat as I had never aced that hole before but I was a little salty that just two days later I hit it.

The next weekend I was playing doubles at McCurry Park in Fayetteville, Ga. The Ace Fund is up to about $370. I was on the same card as Pro Kevin McCoy. I watched him throw a fantastic shot on hole #4, missing by about six feet too long (hole 4 is a long downhill shot so it looked just perfect). We get to hole #10 and he throws another beautiful shot, missing off a skip by probably 6 ft. again. I step up, throw my drive and stand as tensed as my body would allow. My D1 never left the line meant for the chains. It hit just a smidge left of the pole, floated in the chains and spat out. Talk about excitement. Then, after all joke were made, I went home to my "home" course and played the next day. Again, the same hole, with my D3, on a different forehand line, I hit the Ace.

To make this even worse, less than a month before all of this "hit-an-ace-after-you-chain-out-for-money" silliness, I hit chains and spat out at a different round of McCurry Dubs. We had set up temp baskets to make a few of the par 4's into extra par 3s. I hit the chains on a bit sweeping hyzer and it spat out... and I didn't even grab the CTP. I can't complain about aces or spit outs, but man do I want to.

Yesterday afternoon - after 18 holes - just shooting with my buddies on hole #3 310' crossed the front of the chains and basket and then skipped 30' to the left......and of course .....I missed the the bird putt!

Ah well, after 8 months of playing I've chained once, metal twice, and about four of these "near-hit shots" .....It'll come soon I hope..

"Topper" ace, never had one stick like that on a drive. Lefty forehand on #7 at Timmons.

8669421718_a82ce23e5e_c.jpg

missed skip ace

Just today i almost skip aced hole 17 at Jaycee Park in Kentwood Michigan. my doubles partner through his shot landed in a good position so i just tried to go for it for a change. normally don't even come close to hitting the basket usually release and it starts drifting left from the start. this throw started out a good distance to the right of the basket navigated the trees really well. when it hit the ground it appeared to skip off of a root bounced up slammed the chains and bounce out about 4 feet from the basket. Our league group started on hole 18 so if i would have aced 17 it would have been a real great finish to a round. I already have one ace on that course would love to have gotten a second there as well.

Managed to hit metal three times this weekend, but no aces :(

One guy that I rode to a tournament with did manage to get one to stick on his first throw of the tourney...

Yesterday afternoon - after 18 holes - just shooting with my buddies on hole #3 310' crossed the front of the chains and basket and then skipped 30' to the left......and of course .....I missed the the bird putt!

Ah well, after 8 months of playing I've chained once, metal twice, and about four of these "near-hit shots" .....It'll come soon I hope..

It'll come when you least expect it. My first one came when I threw a shot and was like, "It's decent" and turned to grab my bag. I was caught totally by surprise when I heard the splash.

Had a dyed Champion Leopard in the chains, Kaposia Hole 5. Why did you not stick? it was a beautiful and intended shot. A week early I had the same Champ Leopard just as solidly in the chains at Blue Ribbon Pines Hole 25 and it washed. We are not talking grazing the chains; we are talking as solidly in the chains as one can be and not be an ace. Those would have been sweet because both rounds were league matches.

On Thursday I scored an ace at Eagle's Edge (Brooklyn Park) Hole 1, but it was a fun shot with an SP Hurricane where I would normally throw a Ghost or Leopard. I chalk that one up to a practice ace. I need a real one badly; it has been so long since I carded one when it matters, especially considering how many in the last two years I have had on and splashed out.

Missed one yesterday at Morse Beach, in Noblesville,IN. about 275', threw Prodigy M4 on a nice slight anny line, held the hole way, then nailed the basket about 3" low. It fell straight down for a simple tap-in, but first metal hit in MONTHS.

Multiple metal/chain hits that didn't stick for the ACE, but one in particular stands out. It was a Maine Player's Tour tournament with a $400 ace pot. Hole #6 at Quaker Hill Farms, 200' straight shot with a high ceiling in the woods and only a 15 foot wide fairway. Threw an XD that smashed center chains but rebounded enough to teeter off the cage onto the ground.... enter sadness.

Haven't had an ace in 5 years. Playing harder courses tends to do that. I thought for sure I aced hole 2 at sugaw last week. Out of all the holes, that would have been a sweet ace. Instead, it lost a little elevation at the end and hit the basket.

Still got a 2 though on a hard hole!

I hit the chainring on #10 at Amelia in Miami last week then rolled directly backwards into the lake.

Playing a monthly league full moon glow round, I just missed Canyon Park hole 3, 229' straight shot (slight downhill). Hit chains and everything, spit out 2' from the basket.
Still searching for second ace.

Latest posts