• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mold minimalism and over marketing?

So this is the template they used for posting bags over at DGR:
(The discs listed is just as an example. This is mostly to show what slots they thought you needed to fill)

1. Stable Control Drivers
DX Gazelles

2. Distance Drivers
X Avenger

3. Understable Driver
Beat DX Gazelle

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Z Avenger

5. Very Overstable Driver
E Spirits

Mids:
KC Pro Roc
DX Rocs

Putters:
S Wizards

There's an article out there where Blake talks about how setting up your bag this way will result in 4-7 different molds.
So going back to the OP...what slots do you feel are missing from this template? I guess I've just blindly been following this template, so I'm legitimately curious what slots people are filling when they have 10+ different molds in the bag

I have fairway driver slots.....Volt, Undertaker, Underworld, Saint

I also have throwing putters.....ESP Challenger, Z Challenger, Zone

So this is the template they used for posting bags over at DGR:
(The discs listed is just as an example. This is mostly to show what slots they thought you needed to fill)

1. Stable Control Drivers
DX Gazelles

2. Distance Drivers
X Avenger

3. Understable Driver
Beat DX Gazelle

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Z Avenger

5. Very Overstable Driver
E Spirits

Mids:
KC Pro Roc
DX Rocs

Putters:
S Wizards

There's an article out there where Blake talks about how setting up your bag this way will result in 4-7 different molds.
So going back to the OP...what slots do you feel are missing from this template? I guess I've just blindly been following this template, so I'm legitimately curious what slots people are filling when they have 10+ different molds in the bag

Thanks for posting...I've seen a few posters do their bags in this style on here and had no clue where that came from.

I used the DGR format when I set up my bag many years ago.

I could easily slot my current bag into that format, except I have no "very overstable driver".

The article is worthwhile to read, mainly for the perspective that is taken on the topic (no matter if you fully agree or not).

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

Nice statement in the first sentence btw:
Blake_T said:
I cannot say that using less molds is better than more molds as long as (1) through (5) are covered. I can say that filling these roles will require somewhere in the realm of 2 to 5 unique molds.

My current bag of 8.5 molds is included in my signature, but generally these are the slots I'm trying to fill:

• Distance Driver: Something moderately overstable in the speed 12 range. Right now I carry a Force as a more overstable compliment to my primary driver (Hurricane). I like this combination because they not only work together well, but they share a mold piece.
  • Utility: Something stupid overstable, usually in the speed 9 range but right now it's a Hellfire which is quite a bit faster.
  • Overstable Fairway: A moderately overstable workhorse. I typically prefer a faster fairway for this slot.
  • Stable-Understable Fairway: Something straight and on the slower end of the fairway spectrum.
  • Overstable Midrange: Moderately overstable workhorse. I like a premium book end with a base plastic cycle.
  • Stable-Understable Midrange: Something straight out of the box in premium plastic. This slot could be replaced as the overstable midranges get beat in, but I like having at least one premium plastic stable-understable mold for consistency.
  • Overstable Approach Disc: This category of disc is relatively new, but having a low profile overstable approach disc is a staple in most modern bags.
  • Stable Putter: For putter things.

I don't generally carry a lot of discs that are out of the box flippy, I'd rather throw sidearm or control the angle with a stable disc. 8 molds has always seemed like the sweet spot for me, YMMV.

I'm not the right person to answer this question. The speed 10 and 12 drivers aren't really in my wheelhouse at the moment.

I basically carry 9 slots in my bag, an overstable, neutral and understable putter, mid and fairway driver. Those happen to be 9 molds.

In addition I carry a Saphire which is basically "overlapping" my OS FD (which is a Champ Teebird). But, as they are pretty different in speed, they aren't really overlapping. They both get broken out for very specific shots on the courses I play. If the course has some length to it, I'm throwing my Hatchet on many/the majority of drives. As the Stag and the Hatchet both beat in, I imagine the Stag will get thrown more and more often, the Hatchet less so.

I just have all those slots covered without needing to beat something in and not having anything understable available to my noodle arm.

As I said already, I have enough issues trying to get consistent releases and lines, compounding that by forcing myself to try and manipulate something overstable on lines that don't call for it will just lead to misery, imho.

As to whether you should derive satisfaction from beating me ... I'm 50 and new to the sport, so whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm just trying to have some fun chasing plastic around the woods.

My current bag of 8.5 molds is included in my signature, but generally these are the slots I'm trying to fill:

• Distance Driver: Something moderately overstable in the speed 12 range. Right now I carry a Force as a more overstable compliment to my primary driver (Hurricane). I like this combination because they not only work together well, but they share a mold piece.
  • Utility: Something stupid overstable, usually in the speed 9 range but right now it's a Hellfire which is quite a bit faster.
  • Overstable Fairway: A moderately overstable workhorse. I typically prefer a faster fairway for this slot.
  • Stable-Understable Fairway: Something straight and on the slower end of the fairway spectrum.
  • Overstable Midrange: Moderately overstable workhorse. I like a premium book end with a base plastic cycle.
  • Stable-Understable Midrange: Something straight out of the box in premium plastic. This slot could be replaced as the overstable midranges get beat in, but I like having at least one premium plastic stable-understable mold for consistency.
  • Overstable Approach Disc: This category of disc is relatively new, but having a low profile overstable approach disc is a staple in most modern bags.
  • Stable Putter: For putter things.

I don't generally carry a lot of discs that are out of the box flippy, I'd rather throw sidearm or control the angle with a stable disc. 8 molds has always seemed like the sweet spot for me, YMMV.

Yeah I think one of the biggest changes in bag construction is most people are bagging an OS mid and OS putter. I think Blake was a proponent of using that Utility slot for all your overstable needs. That's going to be very player dependent, you obviously aren't using a hellfire for your OS putter needs, but in reading those old threads, seems like a lot of people were using banshees, spirits, XXX, etc, slower OS molds that basically fill the OS driver and mid slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not the right person to answer this question. The speed 10 and 12 drivers aren't really in my wheelhouse at the moment.

I basically carry 9 slots in my bag, an overstable, neutral and understable putter, mid and fairway driver. Those happen to be 9 molds.

In addition I carry a Saphire which is basically "overlapping" my OS FD (which is a Champ Teebird). But, as they are pretty different in speed, they aren't really overlapping. They both get broken out for very specific shots on the courses I play. If the course has some length to it, I'm throwing my Hatchet on many/the majority of drives. As the Stag and the Hatchet both beat in, I imagine the Stag will get thrown more and more often, the Hatchet less so.

I just have all those slots covered without needing to beat something in and not having anything understable available to my noodle arm.

As I said already, I have enough issues trying to get consistent releases and lines, compounding that by forcing myself to try and manipulate something overstable on lines that don't call for it will just lead to misery, imho.

As to whether you should derive satisfaction from beating me ... I'm 50 and new to the sport, so whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm just trying to have some fun chasing plastic around the woods.

Unless you play MA3 in central Texas, I'm not trying to beat you? Not sure when this turned into me beating you lol. I definitely enjoy beating other rec players in Austin. For the record, I'm 40, only started playing seriously in March, and I'm rated in the low 800's. I usually play alone...So we're both just chasing plastic through the woods, I'm just chasing a bit less plastic

This is the kind thing I'm talking about in the OP. This kind of attitude.

"Reduce your bag to four discs and whoop the competition of wanna be disc golfers who use more than four discs."

Presumably what you do is beat much lower rated disc golfers. Congratulations.

Unless you think your ratings are artificially lowered by using four discs. Think about the implications.

Or maybe with only 4 discs, you're forced to get creative and you don't second guess your decisions, or throw a difficult shot because you think you need to.

Often times when I've played tournaments, guys will throw a high speed driver off the tee on a tough par 4.

They end up in the rough and take a 5, 6, or worse.

The better play would have been to throw a putter or mid twice and have a look at a bird.

If you don't have a high speed driver while you're playing, you probably wouldn't make that mistake, now would you?

Sometimes simplicity is best.

But you do you man.

Yeah I think one of the biggest changes in bag construction is most people are bagging an OS mid and OS putter. I think Blake was a proponent of using that Utility slot for all your overstable needs. That's going to be very player dependent, you obviously aren't using a hellfire for your OS putter needs, but in reading those old threads, seems like a lot of people were using banshees, spirits, XXX, etc, slower OS molds that basically fill the OS driver and mid slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Quake on baseline plastic is basically a Roc. It's definitely possible to use something like a Firebird instead of an overstable putter, I've done it, but I think having that extra mold is going to be way more consistent for most people. I think that's especially true if you're approaching on greens that are hard-packed and skip friendly. I don't think the Zone even existed when Blake made that list.

I got to over 500 courses played by doing a lot of traveling. And when traveling, sometimes I am forced to pack very lightly. I need to use a minimum amount of discs to cover the greatest amount of shots.

Super duper light travel bag for most any course I will encounter. I throw RHBH

1 slightly beat Star Mamba - I can make this disc hit any driver line. Great for wooded courses, super straight shots, roller shots, uphill shots and full range of turnover shots.

1 super stable Boss - Guaranteed to hyzer in all conditions after it goes a really long way. Useful for flex shots, high spike hyzers and skip shots. It will always come back!

1 Champion Leopard - For most fairway and long approach shots including hyzer, straight and anhyzer shots.

1 Star Foxbat - Super straight flyer that is a must have for heavily wooded and high altitude courses.

1 R-Pro Dart - Main Putter that is also my main upshot disc for straight and turning approaches.

1 R-Pro Pig - This is my windy putter that doubles as my overstable midrange.

If I am going to play on big wide open courses, I will add a Champion Katana and/or a seasoned R-Pro Boss for max distance.

If I am going to be playing at altitude, I add a super, duper extra flippy Star Mamba that is a roller at sea level but amazing in the mountains.

If I will be playing on a bolf course, I will bring a Super Stable Glow Leopard for longer hyzer/spike approaches (and that flippy roller Star Mamba).

If I will be in a tournament, I will likely have all of the above plus a fresh Star Mamba. I always carry a back up R-Pro Dart putter in the bag during tournaments.

I got to over 500 courses played by doing a lot of traveling. And when traveling, sometimes I am forced to pack very lightly. I need to use a minimum amount of discs to cover the greatest amount of shots.

Yup. My discs would be slightly different, but one can cover a ton of shots with two putters, neutral mid, neutral fairway, and two distance drivers.

And traveling light is nice, even at the local course. :D

I have a zuca cart and typically carry 20+ discs from 12+ molds. Lately I've been playing my local course from the short tees with only a wizard (I bring two in case I lose one). I consistently score between even and +3 in the wizard-only rounds. When I play with my full bag my score ranges from about -3 to +6. So super-minimalism with only one disc is netting me about the same average score as my full cart and better consistency. I still drag my cart around and chuck all those discs at other courses though! :D

I never followed any of the politics threads, and so don't have an opinion about them. And, I am not suggesting any wrongdoing by the mods for banning SD86, because, like I said, I know nothing about what happened in the politics threads.
I am just discovering his ban. What happened, and is it permanent?