• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mold minimalism and over marketing?

Yes, and the 4th was superfluous. Granted, it was my home course, so I'm familiar with the lines.

That's so awesome. I'm playing a flex start at the Met in Austin at the end of the month. It's sponsored by DD, and it would be so awesome to show up with 4 disc in DX plastic and whoop some trilogy fanboys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's so awesome. I'm playing a flex start at the Met in Austin at the end of the month. It's sponsored by DD, and it would be so awesome to show up with 4 disc in DX plastic and whoop some trilogy fanboys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the kind thing I'm talking about in the OP. This kind of attitude.

"Reduce your bag to four discs and whoop the competition of wanna be disc golfers who use more than four discs."

Presumably what you do is beat much lower rated disc golfers. Congratulations.

Unless you think your ratings are artificially lowered by using four discs. Think about the implications.

"Reduce your bag to four discs and whoop the competition of wanna be disc golfers who use more than four discs."

Unless you think your ratings are artificially lowered by using four discs. Think about the implications.

Tribalism is terribly important to some people. I personally find the militant mold minimalists (MMM) to be much more obnoxious than trilogy fanboys.

Was just sitting here going through every hole on my home course (95% of my rounds) and I'll typically only throw these 7 discs:
Shrykes (150 bomber and 175 oddball overstable)
Maul
Emac Truth
Zone
Pure
Serpent

Most of the others are to bail out of a bad shot or stay in the bag for other courses (though the above 7 probably get the majority of work there too). I could probably thin the herd a bit, if only to carry around less weight.

Screw around and find what you like, or fail to find what you like and keep screwing around. Or do both? I only carry multiples of the Buzzz, so I have one that is slightly understable so I can throw it straight to anny, and one is overstable that I can work flex-to-hyzer. But I back them up with a Malta and a Tursas when I need more. Just a consequence of screwing around and finding what I like.

Maybe I'll fall in love with Valks. It could happen. She is the first disc I've called a "she." I feel the relationship, it's developing into something. Not sure if it will become a polydiscamy thing. But don't judge me.

Tribalism is terribly important to some people. I personally find the militant mold minimalists (MMM) to be much more obnoxious than trilogy fanboys.

That's pretty good!:thmbup:

But I have never seen a gathering of MMM's. They're usually of the lone wolf type.

Trilogy fan boys do like to gather though:p

...but end of the day as long as you have every shot covered, who cares.

Agreed - and when you're facing a shot, do you instinctively know which disc to grab? If so, that's a good sign regardless of where you fall on the minimalism scale.

...You can't just throw a flat shot on every hole or you are going to be limiting the shots you can perform.

Ouch. So true. I need to get back out to the field.

That's pretty good!:thmbup:

But I have never seen a gathering of MMM's. They're usually of the lone wolf type.

Trilogy fan boys do like to gather though:p

True, I played on a card last week with a couple fellas that had their carts loaded with Trilogy. Good dudes and I enjoyed playing with them, though I knew very little about what they were throwing. Most mold minimalists (MM) just do their own thing and don't proclaim it to be the highest and best use of plastic.

Whattup with the new avatar, what happened to Frank?

The primary 4 disc I throw is a putter, Roc, Eagle, and Banshee. I have probably 30 - 40 disc sitting in boxes in my garage that I've added and taken out of the bag. None of them have improved my score. I don't have the power for much more than an eagle, so a distance driver is kind of pointless. The banshee is my os mid/firebird slot.

I also have small hands, so gripping anything larger than a speed 9 doesn't go well.

It is satisfying to beat someone pushing around $500 worth of plastic in a cart when I'm carrying 4 discs in my hand. Just like guys who shoot recurve bows enjoy outshooting someone with a fancy compound. Mountain bikers who ride single speed hard tails get a kick out of beating dudes with $5,000 carbon fiber bikes. There's a satisfaction that comes from using old, reliable technology to outperform people with the latest and greatest. If this type thinking makes me a "militant" then I'll own it.

As far as my bag is concerned, I'm not a mold minimalist, I cycle Rocs and Eagles and my cover everything full tournament bag has 14 discs with 9 molds.

I do teach a lot of newer players though and in the beginning I do teach in the "How to build a bag" thread manner as it's the way I finally learned how to play well. But after that, people develop their own style and gravitate towards what fits them. I try to teach shot making versus disc picking, I think it makes one a better overall player.

If ones goal is to get better, limiting discs until one get the fundamentals down and can shape shots I think precedes disc selection. When you have that down, anyone can hand you a random grouping of discs and you'll be able to figure them out pretty easily and still be able to play well.

As far as Frank? People seem to think I'm yelling all the time or that I'm angry, which far from true. Maybe I'll change it back.

As far as my bag is concerned, I'm not a mold minimalist, I cycle Rocs and Eagles and my cover everything full tournament bag has 14 discs with 9 molds.

I do teach a lot of newer players though and in the beginning I do teach in the "How to build a bag" thread manner as it's the way I finally learned how to play well. But after that, people develop their own style and gravitate towards what fits them. I
try to teach shot making versus disc picking, I think it makes one a better overall player.

If ones goal is to get better, limiting discs until one get the fundamentals down and can shape shots I think precedes disc selection. When you have that down, anyone can hand you a random grouping of discs and you'll be able to figure them out pretty easily and still be able to play well.

As far as Frank? People seem to think I'm yelling all the time or that I'm angry, which far from true. Maybe I'll change it back.

This is some of the best advice a new player can get. It has been said a hundred times in a hundred ways. Including this way:

It is the archer, not the arrow. A skilled archer can determine how any arrow flies with just a few shots.

I'm pro-minimalist. I cycle Rocs - I think its fun. I play wooded NC courses, so I hit trees and beat my discs in over time. I think an argument can be made for mold minimalism being a method for consistency; however...

I think I better agree with the argument that mold minimalism is a method for appropriate disc selection and total discs in the bag. Do you really need 25 discs to score well on the course? This is just something I've been asking myself lately...

If I cut down on the number of discs I have in my bag, then I'll get to better know the discs I do carry. Those discs will wear quicker, and a newer copy of that mold can be added later to continue the cycle. Additionally, I'll feel more comfortable during a tournament while reaching for a disc (or mold) I throw every round than I do reaching for that disc I throw once every few rounds (or for very unique conditions).

So this is the template they used for posting bags over at DGR:
(The discs listed is just as an example. This is mostly to show what slots they thought you needed to fill)

1. Stable Control Drivers
DX Gazelles

2. Distance Drivers
X Avenger

3. Understable Driver
Beat DX Gazelle

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Z Avenger

5. Very Overstable Driver
E Spirits

Mids:
KC Pro Roc
DX Rocs

Putters:
S Wizards

There's an article out there where Blake talks about how setting up your bag this way will result in 4-7 different molds.
So going back to the OP...what slots do you feel are missing from this template? I guess I've just blindly been following this template, so I'm legitimately curious what slots people are filling when they have 10+ different molds in the bag