• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Molds you tried this year that made the bag, and those that didn't.

New molds this year and what they replaced:
Enforcer- kicked out giants. Better in the wind, just as long, easily available in plastic that beats in easier.
Sword- trying to fill a role that I normally would like to fill with a beat gold line flow. The king is also auditioning for this role.
Warship- very long for a mid. However it sort of acts as the patch between my rivers and felons as well as the overstable/stable mid next to my lineup of old trusty fuses. The warship powers down beautifully. 179 vip at the top of stability and a beat 177 tp at the bottom. All domey.

Discs that didn't make it:
Saint pro- never had the fade I was looking for. Prefer the normal saint for hyzerflips and straight shots and felons in lighter weights for straight with fade. Also a max weight fluid felon for meathook duties.
Convict- just never got along.

Early run S-PD replaced C-PD
G* Firebird replaced GL XXX
P-MD3 replaced Buzzz
Scale replaced Jokeri

Patriot, Champion and G* Leopard and G* TL3 all failed to replace cycling Teebirds and Elite Pro XLs

Made the bag:
Icon Outlaw- replacement for Wraiths, faster but similar stability ranges
Z Buzzz- great for point and shoot type shots compared to glidely line shaping from Rocs. Solid for FH's, too.

Did not make the bag:
Protege Ghost- still prefer DX Ranchos
Z Comet- better grip with X Comets, overlaps with beat DX Rancho
San Marino Roc- not needed with DX Rancho
Roc3- prefer Z Buzzz

Made the bag:
Dx Roc: I'm saying the same thing as hugheshilton, how in the hell did I not try these before??
3x Thunderbird: reliable as the day is long
Heat: Great for hyzer flips and huge annys.
Ti Drone: just got it, but have been very impressed so far

On the fence:
GL River, VIP Underworld, C & S FD: Similar discs that fill a spot between the Glide and Heat that I am not sure I need.
Star Archon: Loved it, but it lost a huge chunk on its 2nd round. Never seen that happen to Star before.
X/Big Z Comet: I love them, but between Roc cycling and the Glide they could be redundant in my minimalist bag.

Didn't make:
Star Tern, GL Bolt, and all other speed 12+ understable drivers: Too difficult for me to control. Would rather give up the extra 25' and be in the fairway.

Out:
Amp -> Heat
Buzzz -> Roc
Volt -> not a direct comparison, but had to make room for ThB
Zone -> Drone

Colt XT is in for putting. Just got some Star Colts and pretty sure they will be in for most upshots. Thunderbirds are in for forehand drives. Just got some L3's. I think they will be in. Bought a bunch of Discmania drivers to try but none of them made it into the bag. Leopards, Teebirds, and Terns cover 99% of all backhand drives for me.

Tried and dropped: Aviar, Dart, MD3, Wraith, Teebird, DD2, Katana

Tried and Kept: P2, FD, Roc

I'm trying out the Discmania Champion CD2 (first runs), and they do have a place in the bag, but its overlap city between broken in Star PD, Terns, and even C-FD's.

it might be one of those discs like the comet where I'll have them in my car just in case I'm playing a super tunnel-ly woodsy course then I'll break them out.

I re-introduced a couple FAF champion Firebirds back into the bag, I sort of learned to live without one, but damn I lost some strokes this year in tourneys/leagues/ect when I tried to do Firechicken shots without my firechicken.

Made:
Thunderbird (I didn't think there would be a need for something between a teebird and a firebird but I was proven wrong almost immediately after this addition)
Destroyer (I finally stepped up from a wraith to destroyers and I was pleasantly surprised with the added distance I got right away)

Didn't Make:
Buzzz SS (I'm sure it would beat in nice but I have Buzzz's that fly the same as a fresh SS so I just gave it up)

That's it, I don't really try too much new stuff. I like to think it is more about the Indian than the arrow (Although, I do love blaming my arrows from time to time).

That's it, I don't really try too much new stuff. I like to think it is more about the Indian than the arrow (Although, I do love blaming my arrows from time to time).

Yes, but you want the best arrows for your game, of course. :)

I have an addendum to my own earlier post. I just tried an S-Line TD, took it for its first round today. It is "that" disc in my sweet spot. Not too understable (may beat in, in which case I'll try a C-Line TD), glides well, flies beautifully for me.

It is painful to say this, but if it works out, the TD will replace the Valkyrie in my Core bag. Oh, I'll take Valks out every once in a while in my all-Champion-disc bag, all-DX-bag, etc., but I've found that, like the Leopard, the Valkyrie isn't doing anything that other discs aren't doing better.

I found a nuke os earlier this year and then lost my stelitto. Put the nuke os in to replace it and lost the nuke. Bought a nuke os the next day. Great disc for multiple tricky shots and holds in any headwind. Don't care for the nuke but giant thumbs up for the os!

Guess I'm not very adventurous...

Made the Bag
Thunderbird
Serpent

Didn't make the Bag
Atom

Still Testing
Scale
Polecat

In the Bag:
- Photons: perfect max D driver for me
- Raptor: gotta love the BEEF
- Ptero: I'm biased but this is the best understable driver I've thrown for fairway duties
- Craves: I'm not sure if I started testing this disc this year but WOW do I love them. Best straight fairway I've thrown

Didn't make the Cut:
- Eagles: I had one amazing Eagle. The rest were all over in terms of stability. I just can't handle that kind of variance.
- Atoms: I like the flight of them fresh but the plastic just doesn't hold up for me to be a "Go To" driving putter
- Clash: super inconsistent HSS on full power drives

Didn't try too many new molds this year:

Made Bag:

Bard - (perfect overstable compliment to my Rocs been looking for this disc for a while)
Rival

Didn't Make Bag:

MD3 - Love this disc, but couldn't kick the Rocs out
Felon - Another good mold, but Firebirds stay

I think that is all that I tried this year. I have so many discs it is hard to justify something new although I am really close to pulling the trigger on a CD2.

I'm trying out the Discmania Champion CD2 (first runs), and they do have a place in the bag, but its overlap city between broken in Star PD, Terns, and even C-FD's.

it might be one of those discs like the comet where I'll have them in my car just in case I'm playing a super tunnel-ly woodsy course then I'll break them out.

I replaced my broken in C and S pds with just the one CD2 for now. I can shape lines with it a little better and it clears up which disc I want to throw vs choosing between a couple PDs or powering up the FD. I am happy with it.

Three new molds this year. First replaced my Destroyers with Wraiths, next added a Sidewinder, and finally swapped my Aviar for a Summit.

I have a collection of > 250 that did not make the bag in the last 15 months.
Soft Envy getting the bulk of putting duties is the biggest newsworthy change in the last year...
Recently added Forces and found the Felon to be a replacement for what I needed from old X-Clones.

Big misses: King & Crank neither fit a role as a US BH Dist Driver between my forehand and backhand Stable offerings. Banger GT putters were woefully oversized for someone used to beadless Aviars/Omegas
MVP - really.liked their plastic but couldn't stick with anything - didn't help that my son started pilfering my 2nd bag before I had a solid read on a given disc

Thought I would give this thread a bump for chits and giggles.

Made the bag in the last year; Felon, Patriot, Rhyno, Thunderbird and Sidewinder

Didn't make the bag or dropped in the last year: Harp, Judge, Thief, Claymore, Gator, Colt, Stag, Trespass. PD and Whale.

Made the bag - Enforcer, Tern, Felon, Ghost, Justice

Didn't make the bag - Serpent, Renegade

Cut from old lineup - Trespass, Predator, Roc, Gator

Played around with a lot of different stuff early this year. Been a long while since I tried anything really new.

Latest posts