• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Monkey Trap disc golf basket

its also galvanized. it makes the chain flex less, so that in addition to the heavier gauge make my putter roll off the chains sometimes. never happens really when i hit the center tho ;)

i love the idea of picking colors. You could make a sweet set for a course on a college campus using their colors. We need some maroon and white ones for Research Park down here in College Station, Tx!

its also galvanized. it makes the chain flex less, so that in addition to the heavier gauge make my putter roll off the chains sometimes. never happens really when i hit the center tho ;)

IME, the heavier galvanized chain should only be for the inner set(s) of the basket. In my testing of my Tomahawk baskets (with 18 outer chains), the heavier chain made it difficult to break thru and stick unless you put some mustard on your putts. Same results with heavier stainless steel chain. I switched those two to the 2/0 zinc plated like the others and used the heavy stuff for the inner set and they catch great and are a lot more portable.

But, the heavier chain might be better off on the cheaper models with 12-16 outer chains where they have a larger gap to sneak in and stick. The monkey trap does look like it will do the job and using chain instead of a steel ring on the bottom is something unique that might help catch putts better.

SS chain isn't that heavy compared to A-36 or even A-52 chain. Way back when it was cheap, it was an option for several manufacturers. You are only talking .008 #/lf more on 2/0 straight link chain. Price is the only reason I don't use it on my baskets as a standard feature. BUT...I have used it before.

Not all heavy dips are equal, either. Look at Innova's chains...they are all heavy dipped. No idea if they buy it like that or do it themselves....but based on what I see, I think they do it. Production heavy dip is like what you are complaining about movement wise...rough, uneven, etc. Most of it comes out of China or even Mexico and the quality isn't great...but it is cheap compared to domestic. While I haven't used it, I can definitely see what you mean about it.

OK, I looked at some big blow ups of the chains on these baskets. It looked to me like the outer chains are linked to a center ring and the inner chains are the ones that drape below the ring and are soft linked with a chain ring and S-hooks. That is what it looked like all blown up, but I can't be sure. For those that have laid hands on them, is this what I am seeing?

So its done. order has been put in. Black base and center pole with a neon green bucket and top :D
Driving to springfield in the next couple weeks to pick it up. Anyone in springfield MO want to play a round?

So its turned out The disc golf monkey was making a trip to arkansas yesterday so i ended getting to meet him about half way . The basket is amazing! chains are a little heavier but i kind of like it.

057C1FB0-0DA0-479B-B1BB-A48A9B443990-2382-000001714311A6D1.jpg

So its turned out The disc golf monkey was making a trip to arkansas yesterday so i ended getting to meet him about half way . The basket is amazing! chains are a little heavier but i kind of like it.

That stands out! How's the action on it?

Those baskets look really nice. I especially like the color options. When I get another basket to add to the two I have, I may just grab one of these. I bet red basket and top with a black pole and base would look killer.

Those baskets look really nice. I especially like the color options. When I get another basket to add to the two I have, I may just grab one of these. I bet red basket and top with a black pole and base would look killer.

he sent me a couple pictures of the colors he could do and one was black/red it looked awesome i just wanted to go with the neon green. I can see it in the middle of the night lol

he sent me a couple pictures of the colors he could do and one was black/red it looked awesome i just wanted to go with the neon green. I can see it in the middle of the night lol

The neon green most definitely looks really cool, you're a lucky guy. I have a strange obsession for dark red and black, always have.

If anyone is interested in one please go to discgolfmonkey.com and email Russel Burns about your own custom basket , they are not really any more$ then other baskets on the market , he can powder coat them tons of different colors . These have 24 chains and catch like no other basket previously used . I highly suggest if your in the market for a basket to go through Russel and get yourself a monkey trap . Support one the the small guys in the disc golf community !

Get it powder coated in glow in the dark paint including chains and u will have the greatest practice basket evar.

Latest posts