• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More grip questions

Koronin

Par Member
I throw RHBH

Not long ago, I posted a question about a blister/callous problem I was having on the base of my index finger. It was suggested to me that this was caused by the disc slipping out as opposed to ripping out.

Now this week there's been a couple of grip threads and the one thing I found is what was said about the disc running along the seam of your hand.

I had not been holding it quite this way, when I analyzed my grip I noticed that most of the pressure under the rim was being applied by my middle/ring fingers and the edge of some discs were rubbing the base of my index finger causing the blistering.

When placing the disc along the seam of my hand and applying the four finger grip, I noticed that the index finger felt much stronger on the disc but my wrist felt a little funny and my accuracy was pretty off, especially on slight hyzer and anny shots.

It just 'FEELS' funny with so much of my palm (between my thumb and center of palm) being up/over the disc. Should I continue to gripping and learning to throw in this manner?

The two up notes on this were, I don't feel the pressure/pain on the base of my index finger and I noticed that the disc wants to go further now, if less accurate.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for your advice.

Cheers,
Jeffrey

It's a bit of both, it just feels like my hand is more 'over' the disc, but the release did feel good and really took off on me a couple of times with what seemed to be less effort.

Puts me into a spot of sorts, If I continue to grip as I was, some discs especially the larger diamater ones like my stingray, roc, eclipse, it irritates my finger.

If I grip like I think is proper (Along the seam and index finger very firm underneath) it feels funny to me.

I got a tournement in 9 days, so I'm gonna hit some open spaces this week and work on it, was just wondering what people thought about it before i decided to make a change.

I guess it would help if I included pictures of how i"m holding it, but alas, no camera or camera phone with me today.

Without a doubt stick with the new grip. With a solid power grip your hand is kind of on top of the disc and it does feel weird at first, but I bet it feels like it would be much harder for someone to pull the disc out of your hand with this new "in the seem" grip. This directly corelates with grip strength and potential distance. Make sure you are getting your thumb forward, your wrist down so the disc is parallel with your forearm, and are applying pressure with the base of your thumb(actually its more like the area of your palm that houses your thumb bone that connects to your wrist) as well as the other pressure points of the other end of your thumb. Also, with this grip I have found I have a tendency to tense my wrist and not allow it to stay loose, so make sure you dont make your wrist not be able to go through a full range of motion during the swing.

Wow describing grip is harder than it seems! Re-read the grip article it is full of good points