• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

more Lemon Lake questions.....

We aren't going up till 10th so we should be good as far as that goes....
Any other suggestions on grub?
How's Hidden Lake in Merriville? That is where we are staying and I am thinking about hitting it up as well as Valpo...

Definitely play Rogers Lakewood in Valparaiso!

At Worlds, we never really found any great grub worth recommending. We mostly ate at big national restaurants like Fridays, Longhorns and Olive Garden. :|

Any of you guys play Highland Park in Joliet? Thinking about driving out that way and then hitting 3 Floyds on the way back to Merriville...

Highland is definitely solid. Not as good as RLW imho, but definitely worth the drive. If you've got time you can lump in West Park and Trinity with Highland for a good day's worth of golf. They're all super close together. I'd give Trinity the slight edge over West Park, although both are comparable.

West Park has a bit more of the history of the game attached to it and is a fine example of an "old school" course.

Highland longs are challenging but very fun.

I'd add in Community Park in Channahon and The Oaks as other options if you head over to Joliet. Highland is the best course in that area, Channahon is a deuce or die course with impeccable maintenance, the Oaks is a nicely groomed 27 hole course with beautiful old oaks but not a whole lot of real challenge, Trinity is a technical flat course and West is shorter but still technical with some elevation.

Thanks gents--we generally get in 5 rounds when we travel so we are going to play Highland, RLW, LL Red, LL Silver/Gold, and Community Park. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Can't wait for the trip.

Hey Guys---Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought I might leave a little feedback from the trip.
Of the 5 courses listed above, my least favorite was prolly Highland but all of the courses were tremendous. I enjoyed Lemon Lake Silver/Gold the most. It (to me) presented the most variety and I am very partial to courses that play in the woods with massive trees and open-ish shots while still being in the woods. Community Park was a nice change of pace course to round out the trip. Valpo was a bit tainted for me by the fact that the end of our round was disrupted by a giant cross country event that started and forced us to skip the last couple holes. Valpo was packed and we played it at 1:00 on a Thursday which really surprised me. As far as destination areas go, this was incredible.
We ate at 3 Floyds Brewpub when we drove from Highland to Valpo and the food was phenomenal. Some of the best ribs I have ever had--with this ridiculously good buttermilk bbq sauce.
We had mexican at Villa del Sol in Merrillville which is where we stayed. It was fantastic and they have a really cool patio dining area. The burgers at Schoops in Crown Point were absolutely killer. They were like Steak N Shake burgers on steroids. The other place we ate at was Uncle Chen's wok in Crown Point which was fantastic. A little hole in the wall joint but it was tremendously fresh and excellent.
Thanks for all the comments. Can't wait for next near when we go to Selah Ranch and the Dallas area.

Latest posts