• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most EXTREME course you've ever played?

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So I just played Mont Du Lac in Superior WI yesterday, and HOLY COW - I was just floored at how crazy that place is. Never once have I played a course where you needed to hang on to a rope to ascend a ridgeline between baskets and tees!

Hole 14 and 16 on White Cedar were just dumbfounding, throwing down 45 degree+ angles and across valleys that look like vertical walls (and then having to climb them), it was just unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong it was very fun and awesome, but that was super extreme, and got me wondering what other courses have you guys played that are like this?

So I just played Mont Du Lac in Superior WI yesterday, and HOLY COW - I was just floored at how crazy that place is. Never once have I played a course where you needed to hang on to a rope to ascend a ridgeline between baskets and tees!

Hole 14 and 16 on White Cedar were just dumbfounding, throwing down 45 degree+ angles and across valleys that look like vertical walls (and then having to climb them), it was just unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong it was very fun and awesome, but that was super extreme, and got me wondering what other courses have you guys played that are like this?

Courses I have played:

I would say a toss up between Las Vegas Snow and Skiboard Resort and Mt. Baldy Ski Resort. There are several opportunities to die while you are playing either course. Either on the tee or on the way to your lie. I would also add Bryan Head Ski Resort. Whenever a course designer uses a Black Diamond ski run, that is a pretty good indicator the course will have some extreme disc golf!!!

For 9 holes, I would vote for The Boneyard in Globe, Arizona. A disc golf course built on the rock tailing piles left by the oldest copper mine in Globe. Besides the extreme elevation and playing on extremely rugged rock pile, add in the desert heat and all the thorny acacia and cactus and it doesn't get much more extreme.

Runner up East Coast - Nockamixon. Rugged terrain with plenty of elevation changes.

I will be playing Diamond X in a few weeks, so I hope it works its way to the top of my list.

The Ozark Mt Trio is hard to beat.
Diamond X is definitely up there.
Sugaree has plenty of epicness.
The private course I'm working on will be right there near the top when complete.
Blackjack, Ironside Bluffs, Bear Mt, Bailey, Holler in the Hills (RIP), BOP, Iffy Hollers, Base Camp, several others I'm sure I'm forgetting, all worth mentioning.

Nothing like that, but for extreme topography mine would be the old Gran Canyon course in Brooksville, Florida---with 60' cliffs of crumbly limestone and clay, and my ability to put errant shot in places where I would attempt to scale the cliffs to recover my discs. Covered in brutal sawgrass, which is exactly like it sounds and would slice me up as a retrieved my other errant throws.

Mt. Bachelor in Bend OR. It's ****ing exhausting. Everything's lava rock and tricky footing. It's a beast for sure. I threw a disc like 900' tho... that was cool.

And it's hot as balls with not much shade at all in the summer months.

Good times. Note to self: Don't do it hung over after walking the ale trail.

Whippin' Post. It's got the woodedness and extreme elevation of Sugaree combine with a more densely-wooded version of John Houck's multistage par 4/5 madness. The lines and scale of the place are just unreal. There were times where I felt like I was playing a course made for giants.

Mt. Bachelor in Bend OR. It's ****ing exhausting. Everything's lava rock and tricky footing. It's a beast for sure. I threw a disc like 900' tho... that was cool.

And it's hot as balls with not much shade at all in the summer months.

Good times. Note to self: Don't do it hung over after walking the ale trail.

I believe one of my YouTube favorites is a compilation of a tourney there, that place looks phenomenal!!!

Mont du lac is dope af.

The most hardcore is due to extreme thin fairways. At hidden lake there are some fairways thin enough to only drive an ATV through.

Also, this past year it was re-worked so its not nearly as hardcore as it was.

For me I think it would be Crystal Mountain Summit course. You ride the gondola to the summit, and from the tee on hole 1 to the basket on hole 18 it's a 3000' elevation drop. 500' to 900' long holes with big elevation drops and usually quite a lot of swirling wind. It was just crazy, but really fun and we laughed our a**es off at some crazy shots. I would think most big ski resort courses are pretty similar.

Honorable mention would be Bucksnort, if you're not on your toes there you could take a nasty tumble, or worse.

Don't have the courses bagged to really qualify for this thread, but I have to give a shout out to the Hoover Westside temp course. Climbing up and down that dam is definitely a workout, especially when its 95 and humid.

Though not life threatening Pickard in Indianola, IA beats me up every time I play it.

Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver BC is about as extreme as I have played due to course length, elevation and terrain.

Diamond X is definitely up there.
Sugaree has plenty of epicness.
The private course I'm working on will be right there near the top when complete.
Blackjack, Ironside Bluffs, Bear Mt, Bailey, Holler in the Hills (RIP), BOP, Iffy Hollers, Base Camp, several others I'm sure I'm forgetting, all worth mentioning.

I am going to agree with Mr. Dewgarita on most of these as well. Haven't played Ironside, Base Camp, Iffy Hollers, or Bailey

Having played the first 4 holes of Akita (before stubbornly accepting that the place was just to overgrown to play.. :wall: :thmbdown: :( ), and seeing this property, I can see how it belongs on this list.

Haven't played anything comparable to Diamond X yet. I'd put Swards Ranch(unlisted/private/temp) as my honorable mention. Hoping to play MDL in the next year though and really looking forward to it.

Frost Valley

Orange Crush

Black Jack

Blue Mountain Skyline Park

Base Camp in Moab, and Bucksnort in Colorado.

Worth noting that these are two of my favorite courses as well.