• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Inexplicable Throw

in the mid 90's i was playing 7 Oaks in Nashville hole 18. i griplocked my drive and yanked it 90 degrees to the right into VERY thick trees,shrubs etc. about 2 seconds later it sounded like someone had bashed chains with a ballbat. when we all started walking around the edge of the woods there was a group of 4 giving us some less than friendly looks as they walked towards #10 teepad. we started looking for my disc when someone said "look at that" and pointed to #9 basket (short pin). there was my disc hanging in the chains. the only thing we could guess was they were putting out when my shank came out of a seemingly impenetrable wooded area and crashed into the basket. i'll never know if it stuck or they picked it up and placed it there. that disc traveled 75' through woods i couldn't have thrown a rock more than 10' into and never made a sound until it hit chains. i think it might have spoiled their round . i am very glad i didn't hurt anyone.:sick:

things i have seen : i saw a flying bird get hit with a drive (Whippet) bird didn't make it.

Thrown: Playing the OSU campus course on an especially windy day. The hole was next to a parking lot. Throwing into a headwind, the disc was pushed OB. It landed in the parking lot , stood up and turned into a roller. Going backwards. Aided by the wind, it rolled at least 300' behind me, only stopping when it hit a curb. Fortunately, it didn't jump back in bounds. That was a long walk before my next shot.

Witnessed in person: Pittsburgh Worlds, Scott Stokely throwing the infamous foot fault called by Ken Climo. The shot itself wasn't too special, but the moment was definitely interesting.

THE infamous? Werent there like 2-3 in rapid succession. At which point it started to feel like bullying. :( Within the rules at that time I think yeah but it did look like something it didnt have to look like.

Until I saw it, someone throwing over those trees wasn't something I would have thought possible. He didn't just clear them, the disc was still in the turn phase when it passed over top.

For those not familiar, here's the tee shot for the big downhill. 478' to the normal pin. More downhill than it appears and the trees are much taller up close. For the final 9 they played from this tee to the basket for 17 or 18 I think. That added probably at least 300' to the normal hole. The layout has changed since so take that and my estimated distances with a big grain of salt.

8eafb985.jpg

Yeah, no, that's a massive crush.

Pic doesn't quite do it justice. That's a huge shot.

The other one I always think of isn't on film but it was the first pro throw I ever saw, at Grand Woods when a local pro named Chad Sheppard pinned #3 with a black Cyclone. J-Bird was there too. Late spring of 1996, right around the time I first got there and encountered an active club with people who knew what they were doing for the first time. Also right around then, I locked the keys in my car (this is before cell phones) so my wife and I headed across the street from Grand Woods to a house with a bunch of cars...signifying for sure somebody was home...so I could borrow their phone and call for help. It was MSU's Mushin Muhammad's house on NFL draft day, awaiting his pick with his family. His Mom was super nice and brought out their cordless phone so we could use it. He lived directly across the entrance to the park! The Carolina Panthers would take him later that evening.

Rumor has it they tried to draft him in the 1st round but when they tried calling him, the phone was busy, so they drafted Tshimanga Biakabutuka. :p

In thinking entirely too much about this, they definitely had call waiting, otherwise they would've told you to get bent and try the next house. :D

Sometime early 2014ish? cold out, early morning and a little snow on the ground I'm getting warmed up at Addison Oaks in Michigan for a tournament (maybe league? Hard to remember) I see this guy warming up there throwing shots from the edge of the parking lot into the field to the left of the peninsula on 1. Despite it being ridiculously cold out and everyone in winter gear/coats and boots, this dude was absolutely mashing discs farther than I had ever seen anyone throw a disc till that point, full flex lines and really cranking on them. I get a little closer and notice that it's local pro Jared Roan. It was really impressive to see someone casually throwing everything well over 500 up close in person for the first time, especially on a day like that.

Last edited:
First time I ever saw "real" pros (sorry Hysell) throw was at a monthly in Raleigh in 1994. Carlton Howard and Larry Leonard went into a playoff at Cedar Hills. The first hole had a big drop off behind it which I had been down twice that day. Both Carl and Larry hit the same tree right next to the basket and plopped down by it. In my newbitude I thought they had done it on purpose.

Also:
14 or 15 year old Steve Brinster throwing a mile with pretty much no runup. He was about as big as my leg at the time.

Karl Molitoris throwing an Epic overhand and having it do its full trick. I think Karl is on this site from time to time.

Gangloff throwing a 400 foot thumb roller and parking a hole at Seneca.

Lost 1, found 2

There is a turnover shot over the road to a hole on my local course. I threw my trusty avenger ss back in november and it "disappeared." My friend and I both watched it turn back into the Forrest but despite looking for a while, it was lost.

Last week I threw the same shot but now I throw a signal which is much slower speed and unstable. Somehow despite throwing it with great vigor, it barely turned and faded onto the lawn across the road. When I went to collect my out of bounds disc, my avenger was lying right next to it!
I still can't explain it.

First time I ever saw "real" pros (sorry Hysell) throw was at a monthly in Raleigh in 1994. Carlton Howard and Larry Leonard went into a playoff at Cedar Hills. The first hole had a big drop off behind it which I had been down twice that day. Both Carl and Larry hit the same tree right next to the basket and plopped down by it. In my newbitude I thought they had done it on purpose.

Also:
14 or 15 year old Steve Brinster throwing a mile with pretty much no runup. He was about as big as my leg at the time.

Karl Molitoris throwing an Epic overhand and having it do its full trick. I think Karl is on this site from time to time.

Gangloff throwing a 400 foot thumb roller and parking a hole at Seneca.

Thank you John! Carlton and Larry and Diamond Jim were all folks that I saw throw WTF shots in Raleigh. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you John! Carlton and Larry and Diamond Jim were all folks that I saw throw WTF shots in Raleigh. [emoji106][emoji41]

And all three were very generous to regional clubs with donations of gear and discs!!!!

And all three were very generous to regional clubs with donations of gear and discs!!!!

And one more Raleigh golfer of the same ilk, Walt Haney!

I'm not sure if it was inexplicable but it was a moment where what the pro did felt other worldly to a 890-rated am.

2019 Delaware Disc Golf Challenge. Ricky on Hole 8 in R2 at Iron Hill. 2nd shot from left side of fairway somewhat pinched, Ricky throws what Eagle calls on coverage a "wide hyzer" from the left side of the fairway through the forest outside the right side of the fairway and, again quoting Eagle, ultimately "not hitting a thing." A group of us stood in the fairway after the group moved on debating if there was a line he purposefully hit or if he was just choosing the route with the most upside. If he hit the line he intended, then he hit a space in the the middle of a forest the size of a large pizza box.

There's Jomez coverage. Never have I felt more so like the pros were playing an entirely diff game.

That's a good one. I had a buddy who could really throw an Epic, almost forgot all about that. :thmbup:

I could not find it on cue, but somewhere out there is a video of a casual round (possibly with Feldberg? in Oregon?) that shows someone throwing 300+ down the fairway, and it skips right to their buddy who has already walked up the fairway. He is squatting at his bag, not aware the disc is incoming. The disc skips up and wedges between his ankles, a one-in-a-million no-look catch. Still not sure how that could have been real.

There was an event in St. Louis at the original Creve Coeur course where Sam Ferrans beat Ken Climo and Steve Valencia; at some point in the final 9 Ferrans blew a drive past where everyone else threw, and we were all chattering that he must have thrown a Phenix because he had broken the distance record with a Phenix. A guy who had been closer to the tee walked back to us and said "that was an Aviar." :eek:

There was a made-up final 9 at Jefferson Barracks once where one of the holes was from the parking lot by 10's tee to 11's basket; that's about 900' give or take. We go out there in the fairway about 500' out thinking we would see where the drives were landing. Ron Russell threw a Cyclone roller that just barrelled past us. We were kinda trying to process what we had just witnessed when Texas-transplant local guy John (Robo) Ruvalcaba's roller blew on past us. They were throwing off an elevated tee, but...

The was a shot at Sioux Passage (it was hole 16 at the time) that teed to the side of a tall stand of trees. I have no recollection of how long it was (maybe 300'), but the tee was tucked in so that a long hyzer would get you around the corner with a look at the pin, but the pin was far enough to the left that you generally still had a long putt for birdie even if you nailed the drive. All the big armed players just threw that hyzer out in the open to fade back to the pin. The Daviar could throw back in the day, and he would take that route. Scott Stokely went right and the basket; he spike hyzered OVER the trees. It was startling; I'd seen the hole played by good players enough times that I thought I knew what I was going to see. Then I saw a disc as high up in the air as I've ever seen.

Those were all 25-30 years ago. I've seen good shots in person in the last 20 years, but somehow they don't stick with me like those shots.

I could not find it on cue, but somewhere out there is a video of a casual round (possibly with Feldberg? in Oregon?) that shows someone throwing 300+ down the fairway, and it skips right to their buddy who has already walked up the fairway. He is squatting at his bag, not aware the disc is incoming. The disc skips up and wedges between his ankles, a one-in-a-million no-look catch. Still not sure how that could have been real.

I love that video. My favorite part is that the guy who threw it putts straddle from the lie between Dave's legs while a dog is sniffing his @ss. 7 minute mark.

in the mid 90's i was playing 7 Oaks in Nashville hole 18. i griplocked my drive and yanked it 90 degrees to the right into VERY thick trees,shrubs etc. about 2 seconds later it sounded like someone had bashed chains with a ballbat. when we all started walking around the edge of the woods there was a group of 4 giving us some less than friendly looks as they walked towards #10 teepad. we started looking for my disc when someone said "look at that" and pointed to #9 basket (short pin). there was my disc hanging in the chains. the only thing we could guess was they were putting out when my shank came out of a seemingly impenetrable wooded area and crashed into the basket. i'll never know if it stuck or they picked it up and placed it there. that disc traveled 75' through woods i couldn't have thrown a rock more than 10' into and never made a sound until it hit chains. i think it might have spoiled their round . i am very glad i didn't hurt anyone.:sick:

things i have seen : i saw a flying bird get hit with a drive (Whippet) bird didn't make it.

7 Oaks used to be my home course and imagining that shot is hilarious. The fact it made it there is crazy.