• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most overstable disc you've thrown?

To answer the original question, I have a freak Opto Trident which is almost comical to throw. I sometimes bag it for trick shots, but it is impossible to throw very far. I have never thrown another Trident like this one. I think its an early run.

jubuttib said:
Put it like this: This shot is a ~440' forehand tunnel shot, launched with just a bit of hyzer. The disc is definitely not nearly as overstable as a Firebird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3TXXvgqBXU&t=2m18s

Or watch this, skip to 2:18

You have great power and can really get speed on the disc, no doubt about that. But from everything you say it sounds like you either lack spin almost totally, or you have off-axis torque. A more constructive long term solution would be to work on your form in favor of trying to find more overstable discs.

That is the only picture of me that has been on the home page of the PDGA. Weird because the thumbnail for that video is from the middle of the video when usually the beginning of the vid is the thumbnail. Any way to the point: Check out the final of the Tali Open 2009 and see the same guy, Ville Piippo, drive in the longer earlier hole around the corner. That was a beat Boss and i'm fairly sure the video jubuttib linked was a beat to snot flippy Boss too.

The OP may not have a bad form per se. It may not be a lack of spin either if there is decent spin but immense speed overpowering the HSS of the disc. E Spirit followed by XXX.

A nit: Most stable means the straightest disc once flipped to flat or released flat not flipping. The OP was asking about the most overstable=hard hooking fade.

JR that was the point of me asking. I am looking for a disc that comes out of the fade with a decent hook. I have a hard time with holes that dogleg right for this reason.

I will check out a glow firebird because I'm pretty sure I can pick one up locally. This isn't so much a thread so I can maximize distance because even with its turn I can get enough of that with my boss. It's more about utility.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Just make sure you get a nice stiff, flat Firebird. There was a run of flat glow Firebirds last spring that were beef, but the later runs were domey. A buddy of mine just picked up three champ Firebirds at a tourney in Wisconsin and they are very flat and super overstable as well.

Nothing touches a flat E Spirit though. That thing is almost useless it's so overstable. The Rage by Gateway is also very overstable, similar to a Spirit.

I didn't find the XXX that overstable. It flew similar lines to a Firebird. The flat Spirit I have makes the XXX seem like a glidey putter.

yeah for forehand just learn the hyzerflip...u will get control and yeah a beat 12x champ firebird should still fly with just a hair of flip at 400 forehand. they do tend to hold that line so the fade back is very late...a nice straight shot.....

the e spirit i threw was thrashed but not flat either so for me.
XXX
z extreme
whippet X
champ Max man that was beefy.
mutant tridents are hard to find but are also beef central.

I recently picked up a z flick that is super OS. It's not as long as a nuke which is good since the course I play only has one hole over 420'. It's also perfect for 340' thumbers. I am still looking for a e spirit and maybe a shorter range OS disc for utility.

I'm decent with the hyzer flip. It just takes time yo learn how much angle each disc requires. The same angle on one boss to my other can result in water or deep in the woods.

Concave clear stiff Nike spirit at about 190-195 grams. Also a 134g S demon. Homorable mention are speed demons and z Xtremes.

dgdave said:
Concave clear stiff Nike spirit at about 190-195 grams. Also a 134g S demon. Homorable mention are speed demons and z Xtremes.

is homorable mention like getting on ellen degeneres show?

discpunk26 said:
If you can find one, I will guarantee you will never flip a newer Z xtreme.

This^ Can't imagine throwing anything beefier than a Z extreme. Almost makes my XXX feel like a buzz compared to a Z extreme ha

TOURNEYPLAYER said:
Had a champ viper that was stupid OS. nobody mentioned a pred?

Pred ain't even in the top 25 of most overstable discs. Son!

Nobody mentioned it because its not relavent to the question unless the most OS disc youve ever thrown was a pred...

Roc Lover,

Ever toss one of Russ's old flat spirits? The green ones. They are crazy overstable.

dgdave said:
Roc Lover,

Ever toss one of Russ's old flat spirits? The green ones. They are crazy overstable.
Yes i owned a couple, and yes they were lol. That was the basis for my answer :)

TP, I wasnt talking about you mentioning it. I was mentioning that you mentioned how nobody else had mentioned it yet. Then i told you why nobody else mentioned it yet.

Didnt see you said green, no, i only have owned white ones and ive thrown a bunch of his though

Latest posts