• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most overstable disc you've thrown?

Cavere

Bogey Member
I am a primarily flick thrower for long drives (~460-480) and every disc I have will flip to a sky roller when released with some hyzer. My star firebird is way to floppy at 70-80% throws as well.

So I ask. What is the most stable disc you throw?

Even with that distance, a Firebird shouldn't be flippy without OAT (at least the good Firebirds), so perhaps a cleaner release might help somewhat.

But to answer the original question, Opto XXX and 1st Run Premium RESPECTi are the most overstable discs I've ever thrown. For something with more distance potential I'd have to say Z Nuke OS.

I end up hyzer flipping my firebird and even then it turns over too much sometimes on ~340-380 shots. My first run boss is even flippier, where it becomes a sky roller on 30% of my throws with it. Although on my local course there's only one hole I actually get to throw it if the basket is placed deep.

You should learn to flick like Big Germ. He can hit 500' with a flick but also can flick a buzzz on a hyzer line.

As for the actual question it would be a tie between a proto speed demon and a rage

I would love to break 500' this year with a FH. I'd still probably prefer to turn over a BH with a buzz though.

My short game still needs a lot of work...

If you can find one, I will guarantee you will never flip a newer Z xtreme.

Something is definitely wrong with your form, and I'm guessing your trying to throw too hard. I suggest that you watch Brodie smiths video on you tube for how to flick and ultimate disc, that will teach you proper clean form which will make the throws easier and longer.

I'll have to be in the look out for an e spirit then.

Why assuming there is something wrong with my form? Granted on many occasions I do not put enough hyzer on my release. But the only long hole (~440 at longest basket placement) requires a bit of flip before the fade. Besides a bit more consistency on release angle I believe my form to be decent albeit not perfect.

Cavere said:
I am a primarily flick thrower for long drives (~460-480) and every disc I have will flip to a sky roller when released with some hyzer. My star firebird is way to floppy at 70-80% throws as well.

this.

this makes me question your form.

I agree with Frank D. I like to think that I throw back hand and forehand with equal proficiency, I've cleared the 500' mark a few times throwing forehand, and I can throw a firebird flat about 5' off the ground and clear 400' without it flipping. So If yours is flipping, you either have your terminology mixed up or your form is not as good as you may think. A hyzer for a right handed player throwing a flick shot the top of the disc should be visible to someone standing to the right of you, or tipped to the side that the disc is going to finish.

Put it like this: This shot is a ~440' forehand tunnel shot, launched with just a bit of hyzer. The disc is definitely not nearly as overstable as a Firebird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3TXXvgqBXU&t=2m18s

Or watch this, skip to 2:18

You have great power and can really get speed on the disc, no doubt about that. But from everything you say it sounds like you either lack spin almost totally, or you have off-axis torque. A more constructive long term solution would be to work on your form in favor of trying to find more overstable discs.

I have played with players who can flip Star Firebirds forehand (Billy Dunne, Mike Baranoski, Ricky of the Year). Star Firebirds are probably the least stable of the firebird molds. If you are flipping a CFR Flat Glow Firebird then we need to talk.

Whiz said:
I have played with players who can flip Star Firebirds forehand (Billy Dunne, Mike Baranoski, Ricky of the Year). Star Firebirds are probably the least stable of the firebird molds. If you are flipping a CFR Flat Glow Firebird then we need to talk.

... but there's a difference between "can flip" and "can't hyzer"... a lot of people can flip a firebird but if you can't throw one on a hyzer line then you probably have torque issues.

OAT isn't always a bad thing and can be very useful... but that's assuming you are aware of it and doing it on purpose.

Whiz said:
They're the same mold though, the differences come from the plastic.

Maybe my use of flipping is inaccurate. When I say flipping I'm referring to the firebird turning over in the HSS segment of flight where it does not fade back over at the end of flight. Much like that first video I have to release with a decent degree of hyzer to flatten out to fly straight.

I am looking for a more stable disc not to fix issues but to add more diversity to my bag as my stable discs (bosses and firebird) don't allow me to accurately (yet) play accurately with anhyzer shots.