• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I am just getting started on one outside of Blacksburg, VA that has the potential- 360 acres of mountains about equally divided between former pasture and woodland. There will be at minimum 2 courses on site.
Sounds great. My son lives in Chistainsburg. He may be able to round up some help locally. Public or private ?

Sounds great. My son lives in Chistainsburg. He may be able to round up some help locally. Public or private ?

Private. It is actually right outside Christiansburg. My brother went to Tech when I was a kid so I tend to call everything down there "Blacksburg." :)

I'm sure there will be some workdays, etc eventually. I hope to be done with the bulk of my end by late February. Owner would like to begin work pretty much ASAP.

It looks like Eagle's Crossing and Lake Marshall will not only crack the top ten, but might hold the top two spots later this year. Are there any other top ten potential courses in the works ?

Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but Eagle's Crossing just didn't seem like my thing. I only seen it on the OTB skin's, and tbh, I didn't even finish that vid. I don't throw far, so water carries are stupid to me unless they're classy looking and fair for most. I also have to buy all my own discs so there's that.

It kind of reminds me of if The Preserve and Visionquest had a lovechild. It's an odd analogy I guess, but makes the most sense in my brain. Harmony Bends deserves it's spot. It's that good.

this pondering already might have been mentioned

but if timothy reset all the ratings would courses would re emerge

and what ones are just things of the past or has beens

or falsely found their way into the top courses

A related thought: Bucksnort just had a new review, 0 in 2021, 1 in 2020, 1 in 2019. The top ratings list might not be at all accurate anymore if there isn't new content.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but Eagle's Crossing just didn't seem like my thing. I only seen it on the OTB skin's, and tbh, I didn't even finish that vid. I don't throw far, so water carries are stupid to me unless they're classy looking and fair for most. I also have to buy all my own discs so there's that.

It kind of reminds me of if The Preserve and Visionquest had a lovechild. It's an odd analogy I guess, but makes the most sense in my brain. Harmony Bends deserves it's spot. It's that good.
FWIW - your Preserve/VisionQuest lovechild analogy paints a decent picture for me.

A related thought: Bucksnort just had a new review, 0 in 2021, 1 in 2020, 1 in 2019. The top ratings list might not be at all accurate anymore if there isn't new content.

that what im thinking

and it seems like the "standard" of courses is changing both locally and at a national level

and some courses that were relevant are no longer

It's definitely a different vibe than any other course I have played; it was interesting to play it and Harmony Bends the same day.

I am with you on water carries. For me, I think it's the three tee pads on each hole that convinced me to give it the 5 more than anything else. Some courses with multiple tee pads just stick the longs 20 feet behind the shorts, but the tee pads locations and distances at Eagles genuinely play VERY differently from one another on every hole. I top out at 350 feet rarely, and the white tees were manageable for me. Some of the blue tees were very out of my league, and a lot of the reds would have played easier than I was looking for in my experience at the course. The white tees seemed to be the perfect middle-ground to me, and the water carries from those tees were fine for the most part.

Overall, it was a difficult course for sure, but was still fun to play.

FWIW - your Preserve/VisionQuest lovechild analogy paints a decent picture for me.
Do you remember walking the fairway on two at Spencer-Davis looking at the shule with the impossibly huge poison ivy and saying "How awesome would this place be if it was cleaned up a little?" Eagle's Crossing will make you miss the impossibly huge poison ivy. :| It's a little too...antiseptic? Artificial? It's something; the vibe is WAAAYYY off at that place. I can't review it since I can't figure out how vibe effects a rating. :|

Anyway...you need an excuse to come see me again, right?

*never volunteers to go to Michigan*

Do you remember walking the fairway on two at Spencer-Davis looking at the shule with the impossibly huge poison ivy and saying "How awesome would this place be if it was cleaned up a little?" Eagle's Crossing will make you miss the impossibly huge poison ivy. :| It's a little too...antiseptic? Artificial? It's something; the vibe is WAAAYYY off at that place. I can't review it since I can't figure out how vibe effects a rating. :|

Anyway...you need an excuse to come see me again, right?

*never volunteers to go to Michigan*

And this could be a factor down the road when it comes to how high of a rating Eagles Crossing has by the time it's eligible for state and site-wide lists. I've heard love and hate for the course, both of which coming with valid points.

Private. It is actually right outside Christiansburg. My brother went to Tech when I was a kid so I tend to call everything down there "Blacksburg." :)

I'm sure there will be some workdays, etc eventually. I hope to be done with the bulk of my end by late February. Owner would like to begin work pretty much ASAP.

I drive by there every July on my way to a music festival in Floyd, VA (FloydFest - which has a permanent DG course on site). Hopefully this new Biscoe creation will be ready in time for me to get a round in this year ;)

And this could be a factor down the road when it comes to how high of a rating Eagles Crossing has by the time it's eligible for state and site-wide lists. I've heard love and hate for the course, both of which coming with valid points.

whats the hate on the course

besides the super high entrance fee

whats the hate on the course

besides the super high entrance fee

The $25 fee is a big one for a lot of people from what I have heard or read. I don't think the people running the course think of it as one people will play regularly, but $25 to play is decently high compared to many other P2P courses.

If you're not a fan of artificial OB or water carries, then you won't like the course. White stakes line at least a little bit of most if not all of the fairways.

I think the difficulty is a factor as well for some. I personally found it to be a very enjoyable course despite being way over par, but it is a very hard course. 1000 rated on the blue tees is over par, and the white tees are honestly pretty hard as well. At the same time, I'm not sure a round of all red tees would feel worth $25 dollars since those tees are significantly shorter and have much less shot shaping involved than the whites and blues.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. It's a very different course than Harmony Bends or Idlewild - it's definitely designed well with disc golf shots in mind, but the super polished, tournament vibe with the OB stakes is pretty unique for a non-tournament round of golf, from my experience thus far.

The $25 fee is a big one for a lot of people from what I have heard or read. I don't think the people running the course think of it as one people will play regularly, but $25 to play is decently high compared to many other P2P courses.

If you're not a fan of artificial OB or water carries, then you won't like the course. White stakes line at least a little bit of most if not all of the fairways.

I think the difficulty is a factor as well for some. I personally found it to be a very enjoyable course despite being way over par, but it is a very hard course. 1000 rated on the blue tees is over par, and the white tees are honestly pretty hard as well. At the same time, I'm not sure a round of all red tees would feel worth $25 dollars since those tees are significantly shorter and have much less shot shaping involved than the whites and blues.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. It's a very different course than Harmony Bends or Idlewild - it's definitely designed well with disc golf shots in mind, but the super polished, tournament vibe with the OB stakes is pretty unique for a non-tournament round of golf, from my experience thus far.

well that confirmed it thank you

It's definitely a different vibe than any other course I have played; it was interesting to play it and Harmony Bends the same day.

I am with you on water carries. For me, I think it's the three tee pads on each hole that convinced me to give it the 5 more than anything else. Some courses with multiple tee pads just stick the longs 20 feet behind the shorts, but the tee pads locations and distances at Eagles genuinely play VERY differently from one another on every hole. I top out at 350 feet rarely, and the white tees were manageable for me. Some of the blue tees were very out of my league, and a lot of the reds would have played easier than I was looking for in my experience at the course. The white tees seemed to be the perfect middle-ground to me, and the water carries from those tees were fine for the most part.

Overall, it was a difficult course for sure, but was still fun to play.

Just to add my $.02

Played in October, ran out of daylight around hole 14, so didn't feel I should post a review since we didn't play all 18, but...

Course immediately jumps out as at least 4 stars. Setting, teepads, scenery, amenities, etc, all are great. But for me, moving the needle from 4.0 to 4.5 or higher ran into these roadblocks:
Navigation is rough. Course map helps, but we got turned around a few times. Little to no cell service, though there is supposed to be wifi on the course (I didn't try to use it).
I am not afraid of tough courses (Idlewild is my 2nd favorite course), but something about this course seemed overly punitive. We played a combo of red, white, and blue tees. The railroad hole from the blue tees is spectacular. Just an awesome disc golf hole. The water carries are manageable from the reds, a couple for me are impossible from whites or blues. But...the thing that got me was the number of baskets on the edge of water, with the approach running downhill to the green. So if you don't lose any discs on the water carries, you very well might on the greens, just on a 150-200' approach. You either lay up, and then have a death putt (numerous holes) or give it a go, and maybe get wet that way. Challenging for the 1050 crew perhaps, but most of us are a tad shy of that skill level.

Another observation is the course reminded me of the disc golf version of Field of Dreams. They have placed a great course there, and seem to be betting it all that they will host worlds soon. In fact, the day we played, I was told they were submitting a bid for 2023 Worlds the next day. But we were the only ones there late afternoon on a beautiful October Sunday. Like playing in a new baseball stadium with 8 fans in the stands.

Some problems which may preclude a Worlds anytime soon-they refuse to put any signage on the course, there is no other course within 50 miles that I know of, and hotels would be quite far away. Seems a battle for control of the event could be pretty major. Now I can certainly see #18 as a great finishing hole--complete with stands already in place. Look for some B or even A tiers there soon, if not already planned.

It frankly is a bomber course--even the wooded holes are mostly LONG. I did think the course, including OB, was fair--very challenging for my 300' arm, but its all right in front of you anyway. You know where you should be throwing. No super tight lines, but many holes will gain or lose you strokes depending on HOW YOU LAND your throw. Not too much tough rough per se, but about half the holes have water--carries or bordering the basket. That's a bit much for me anyway. I don't get my discs free from my sponsor--me. Its sort of a finesse/distance course. Not just grip and rip. If its very windy, I can see top pros working hard to get under par from the longs.

Should you play it? Absolutely. Several holes really are unique either in design, or setting--like the birthday cake hole (or whatever they call it). But, for a rec/int player, this course will beat you up quite a bit. Maybe more than most sub 950 players may want. Sort of like Maple Hill though, I really don't recall any significant left to right holes. Oh, and the baskets are not great--forget what they were, only that they did not impress us at all.
Were I to actually review/grade it, I think I would settle in on 4.25, not sure which way I would round...

Just to add my $.02

Played in October, ran out of daylight around hole 14, so didn't feel I should post a review since we didn't play all 18, but...

Course immediately jumps out as at least 4 stars. Setting, teepads, scenery, amenities, etc, all are great. But for me, moving the needle from 4.0 to 4.5 or higher ran into these roadblocks:
Navigation is rough. Course map helps, but we got turned around a few times. Little to no cell service, though there is supposed to be wifi on the course (I didn't try to use it).
I am not afraid of tough courses (Idlewild is my 2nd favorite course), but something about this course seemed overly punitive. We played a combo of red, white, and blue tees. The railroad hole from the blue tees is spectacular. Just an awesome disc golf hole. The water carries are manageable from the reds, a couple for me are impossible from whites or blues. But...the thing that got me was the number of baskets on the edge of water, with the approach running downhill to the green. So if you don't lose any discs on the water carries, you very well might on the greens, just on a 150-200' approach. You either lay up, and then have a death putt (numerous holes) or give it a go, and maybe get wet that way. Challenging for the 1050 crew perhaps, but most of us are a tad shy of that skill level.

Another observation is the course reminded me of the disc golf version of Field of Dreams. They have placed a great course there, and seem to be betting it all that they will host worlds soon. In fact, the day we played, I was told they were submitting a bid for 2023 Worlds the next day. But we were the only ones there late afternoon on a beautiful October Sunday. Like playing in a new baseball stadium with 8 fans in the stands.

Some problems which may preclude a Worlds anytime soon-they refuse to put any signage on the course, there is no other course within 50 miles that I know of, and hotels would be quite far away. Seems a battle for control of the event could be pretty major. Now I can certainly see #18 as a great finishing hole--complete with stands already in place. Look for some B or even A tiers there soon, if not already planned.

It frankly is a bomber course--even the wooded holes are mostly LONG. I did think the course, including OB, was fair--very challenging for my 300' arm, but its all right in front of you anyway. You know where you should be throwing. No super tight lines, but many holes will gain or lose you strokes depending on HOW YOU LAND your throw. Not too much tough rough per se, but about half the holes have water--carries or bordering the basket. That's a bit much for me anyway. I don't get my discs free from my sponsor--me. Its sort of a finesse/distance course. Not just grip and rip. If its very windy, I can see top pros working hard to get under par from the longs.

Should you play it? Absolutely. Several holes really are unique either in design, or setting--like the birthday cake hole (or whatever they call it). But, for a rec/int player, this course will beat you up quite a bit. Maybe more than most sub 950 players may want. Sort of like Maple Hill though, I really don't recall any significant left to right holes. Oh, and the baskets are not great--forget what they were, only that they did not impress us at all.
Were I to actually review/grade it, I think I would settle in on 4.25, not sure which way I would round...

THATS what I couldn't think of as another con some people had - the baskets. They're Gateway Titans since Dave McCormack from Gateway designed the course. I'm really use to them from playing St. Louis courses and don't have a problem with them, but some folks are not impressed with them compared to other, more popular options. Eagle getting a spit out on GK Pro skins on the cake hole probably didn't help the first impression some folks got from them.

THATS what I couldn't think of as another con some people had - the baskets. They're Gateway Titans since Dave McCormack from Gateway designed the course. I'm really use to them from playing St. Louis courses and don't have a problem with them, but some folks are not impressed with them compared to other, more popular options. Eagle getting a spit out on GK Pro skins on the cake hole probably didn't help the first impression some folks got from them.

Count me among the not impressed crowd for the Gateway Titan's. My one (and I believe only) time playing on them was at Foundation Park in Centrallia IL. Great course designed by Dave McCormack, but woof were them things something else. Not a fan. They're probably the sturdiest baskets I've ever seen though :|

I didn't mean to start a whole thing about the course, I've never played it. I thought elmex brought up a good point about "resetting" the ratings. Not going to happen but was an interesting premise nonetheless. I like the system we have going here on DGCR. And if Eagle's Crossing does in fact jump into the top ten I wonder how long it would actually stay there? Threeputt and nothinbutree's potential reviews would knock that average down to a great course, but probably also out of the top ten, if it were to make it there.

Like I said before, I have no dog in this fight. Great to hear a little more about it from trusted reviewers in a back and forth setting. And if I'm ever down there again I'll absolutely be playing it. :thmbup:

And it better be worth it for $25 :eek: