• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

A2U89O7IDG22Q8:ahx1Pz5KTCadwmTaivhX5A

Can anyone explain the cement 'blocks' at Diavolo on a few greens? Picture hopefully attached.

Is it just a way of raising the basket on an "island?" Maybe keeps you from sliding right up under the basket? How far from the basket do the blocks leave you? Yes this got my attention. :)

would a 5/5 design really need tiny pyramids to stop lay ups/slide ups

When I first saw the photo I immediately thought of Flip City. This view from #11 tee in particular.

Flip's another wonderful piece of property. Wonderfully hilly terrain, and sneakily beautiful.
A big part of the beauty there is how the trees often frame the fairways, as you stand on the tee and appreciate the hole you're about to play.

Don't know anything about the course. I was just throwing out some ideas/questions based only upon the picture.

Those concrete barriers are pretty ugly, certainly not my cup of tea visually. I'd probably also be bummed if I hit one in the air and got a bad rollaway.

What are your thoughts?

Don't know anything about the course. I was just throwing out some ideas/questions based only upon the picture.

Those concrete barriers are pretty ugly, certainly not my cup of tea visually. I'd probably also be bummed if I hit one in the air and got a bad rollaway.

What are your thoughts?

basically the same as yours

it almost looks incomplete tho

You wouldn't think so. And in fact, judging by the area around the pin, That seems like it would actually encourage a layup. I'd throw it low and hope to hit the wall and have an inside the circle putt. I don't think the little pyramids even factor in really. Strange looking...I'll just leave it at that.

A2U89O7IDG22Q8:ahx1Pz5KTCadwmTaivhX5A

Can anyone explain the cement 'blocks' at Diavolo on a few greens? Picture hopefully attached.

I don't know what the blocks are, I do know they were already on the property when the course went in. I am not a big fan of them either, having hit them on 3 with an upshot and 5 with a tee shot.

I don't know what the blocks are, I do know they were already on the property when the course went in. I am not a big fan of them either, having hit them on 3 with an upshot and 5 with a tee shot.

Yes, I also understand they were on the property before the course. Most likely to keep trespassers off the property from several access locations. Around the Triangle, the communities often buy (or receive) property for parks that sit empty for years before they are developed.

There is a very popular Rails-to-Trails facility that bisects the property, so the property has many visitors, these were most likely placed to keep the right people in the right places.

Then, when the course development began, the decision was made to keep them on the property, to avoid adding to a landfill, so they were positioned to create raised greens. The small pyramids on top were just how they came.

Tripper is correct, they are on only two holes, and those two greens are relatively close together, so they were only moved a short distance. (#5 is an uphill hole, so it just adds to the relative distance.)

The favorite names for these seem to be "fortress" or "castle" greens.

Lake Marshall - The Lair just got its 10th review. 4/76 average so far.

I've added my pictures of Diavolo taken last Tues 1/18. I hate that there is a small amount of snow in some. I also missed hole 7 but that was weak hole anyway. I'd rate the course 4.5 and will do a review hopefully soon. Enjoy!

I've added my pictures of Diavolo taken last Tues 1/18. I hate that there is a small amount of snow in some. I also missed hole 7 but that was weak hole anyway. I'd rate the course 4.5 and will do a review hopefully soon. Enjoy!

would you say a true 4.5 or closer to a 4.75