• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Coyote Trace just got its 20th review which should put it at #12 on the Top Rated Courses list as soon as it refreshes! Not quite in the top 10 list but a solid place for a very solid course.

Just played it Sunday. Eric was nnice enough to join us for the round. He mentioned that you and Martin helped him out quite a bit with the design and construction. Kudos to you all, fantastic course.

Congrats on the engagement as well!

Just played it Sunday. Eric was nnice enough to join us for the round. He mentioned that you and Martin helped him out quite a bit with the design and construction. Kudos to you all, fantastic course.

Congrats on the engagement as well!

Thanks man! It was Martin a lot more than me helping him out because he lived so much closer to Coyote before he moved to Atlanta. Let me know next time you're back down this way and maybe we can meet up for a round there.

The only real movement recently is the disappearance of Tyler since the redesign. I'm very surprised they haven't drummed up enough locally biased reviews to get back on the list.

Drivethrutke took photos of Coyote Trace as we played our round on Sunday. First 7 holes are up with Tee signs, tee, and approach photos. We noticed they were lacking and a couple folks mentioned it in the "cons" section of their reviews. The rest of the pics should be going up soon. It is a holiday weekend, so no guarantees.

I'm pretty sure courses need 21 reviews before being eligible for the top 25. I've been waiting for Whippin' Post to get its 21st for some time now, since it's also highly rated enough to crack the 25.

Drivethrutke took photos of Coyote Trace as we played our round on Sunday. First 7 holes are up with Tee signs, tee, and approach photos. We noticed they were lacking and a couple folks mentioned it in the "cons" section of their reviews. The rest of the pics should be going up soon. It is a holiday weekend, so no guarantees.

Boom! Coyote Trace!

Yeah, I'm planning to get them all up by the weekend. It's just a little slow with the processing and resizing. I have them up through the 11th hole now.

Yeah, I'm planning to get them all up by the weekend. It's just a little slow with the processing and resizing. I have them up through the 11th hole now.

3 posts in 4 years. That's gotta be a record of some kind.

Traveling discers everywhere thank you for your service. You've added quite a few photos now for courses all over the place. Did you get the photographer achievement yet?

3 posts in 4 years. That's gotta be a record of some kind.

Traveling discers everywhere thank you for your service. You've added quite a few photos now for courses all over the place. Did you get the photographer achievement yet?

I would have taken pics while I was down... but I wasn't sure if Eric and his crew wanted somebody else to do that? So, I just waited for somebody else to do it I guess lmao. The long bomber hole I think like 7 or 8 is one of my favorite holes of all time.

Also... if anybody has looked at it, Coyote should currently be like in 12th position I believe. That is without concrete pads...

Yeah, we mentioned to Eric when we got there that we'd take pics for the course if he didn't mind. I think he's so busy building and maintaining it that he just hadn't gotten around to it.

5 is the longest hole on the course at 898' I believe. Awesome multi-shot hole that kind of reminded me of Idlewild #1 and 15 blended together. I got a 4 (made a 50-ish foot putt) and was pleased as punch.

I think I just played my favorite course ever . . . Bucksnort . . . currently sitting at #3. I know I will get bashed for saying this because it doesn't have concrete tees, signage is minimal, safety issues (which are not an issue on this course under the normal rules and restrictions it is guided by like one tee time per day), there are no real bomber holes on the course, and a few other things I normally would include in my reviews (which I stopped writing long ago) but if I had to choose any course I have played to play over and over and over . . . Bucksnort would be it. I stopped writing reviews because it got to tedious and too many people would find fault with things I would say, so I decided that I no longer cared about the rating of a course just my own personal overall impression and how likely I would be to return if every course in the world was the same distance away and under the same circumstances.

I know it is rated #3, and I have played all of the top ten except for Harmon Hills, but I would choose Bucksnort over any of these courses any given day. That does not mean the others are without merit or equally fun or challenging or well designed . . . it just means I would prefer Bucksnort any given day.

I think I just played my favorite course ever . . . Bucksnort . . . currently sitting at #3. I know I will get bashed for saying this because it doesn't have concrete tees, signage is minimal, safety issues (which are not an issue on this course under the normal rules and restrictions it is guided by like one tee time per day), there are no real bomber holes on the course, and a few other things I normally would include in my reviews (which I stopped writing long ago) but if I had to choose any course I have played to play over and over and over . . . Bucksnort would be it. I stopped writing reviews because it got to tedious and too many people would find fault with things I would say, so I decided that I no longer cared about the rating of a course just my own personal overall impression and how likely I would be to return if every course in the world was the same distance away and under the same circumstances.

I know it is rated #3, and I have played all of the top ten except for Harmon Hills, but I would choose Bucksnort over any of these courses any given day. That does not mean the others are without merit or equally fun or challenging or well designed . . . it just means I would prefer Bucksnort any given day.

You have company on this one. I loved it. Funnest course I've played.

I played it last summer and had to be in Spearfish, SD that night. After two rounds my friends decided we HAD to have another shot at some of those holes, so we jogged through another round before I hit the road. One of my most memorable disc golf days. I can't wait to get back.

I've played 17 of the top 25, and it beats most of them.

Pics of all 18 holes @ Coyote Trace are up.

I wish the size limit on photos was a little bigger.

Pics of all 18 holes @ Coyote Trace are up.

I wish the size limit on photos was a little bigger.

Kudos to drivethrutka: the pics look great. :thmbup:
Hope more folks get to play Coyote soon. Saw Eric noted they're going to try cleaning up some of the ash borer killed trees :)(), so it's really important to call ahead right now and set up a tee time with him. The place is a true gem.

Wish I could play Bucksnort to find out how great it really is, have you guys played Black Jack. It's by far the best pure mountain style course I've played along with Whipping Post. But Whipping Post has some elements that make it less mountainy, you're never really throwing way down or way up unless you get offline. Just seems like Black Jack would be hard to top in that style of course, especially considering how short Bucksnorts holes are in comparison, you never get to launch one 700' off a mountain.

Take this for what it's worth. Played Flip for maybe the 6th or 7th time this weekend. Reassessing things some 100+ courses in several states since writing my review:

Are there more challenging courses? Without a doubt.
Does it have water? Only what you carry with you. :(
Ammenities? Not really, but at least there's a porta john. :\
Should it matter that it's private and that it's basically a one man operation plus whatever league members may/may not help out with? uh-uh :|
Does really belong among "the best of the best?" Yes, it still holds up... even without the above elements.

Flip's not an @$$ kicker, but it still has challenge a'plenty.
Can't count the number of times I stood at the tee thinking, "Wow, this hole is simply beautiful."
All the little touches and TLC it has actually do add something to the experience and make playing more enjoyable (regardless of whether or not you can adequately put it into words. Paths mowed into the rough really do make a difference in searching for discs.
Even with it's shortcomings, I still don't think I've played a course where I've had a better time.

I guess it depends what you're looking for. If the only thing that matters to you is how well the course challenges you, then Flip certainly doesn't belong in the top 10. Hell, it shouldn't even be in the top 25 (or probably the top 50 for that matter).

But I base my ratings on how much I enjoy playing the course (and I enjoy getting beat down by a course that's well beyond my ability... as long as it's fair in its design), and my desire to play it again. Flip still gets my 5.0.

Last edited:
Flip just FEELS how I want my disc golf to feel. It's hard to put a finger on, but there's so many holes that are just **right**.

It's the same way I feel about Highbridge. The courses are great, no doubt, but there's just something about the place that leaves me wanting more.

Why not? The top half-dozen or so on my personal favorite list all of something special about them that's hard to quantify. They have little in common, in difficulty, terrain, or features.

Presumably Flip City and Bucksnort have the same effect on a lot of disc golfers, hence their lofty ratings.

Latest posts