• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

It's definitely important to factor in that intangible sense of successful design. Though it's not a top 10 type of course, I'm always arguing for Pittsburgh's Knob Hill along these lines. On the surface it's a strictly par 3 course without a lot of pizzazz, and many of the holes are very straightforward. But, it all comes together incredibly well in terms of pacing, variety, and challenge. Many holes strike me as being archetypes, perfect expressions of a typical disc golf shot that elevate the course in hard-to-define ways. I've played a lot of courses along the lines of Knob Hill that seemed to me to be good not great. I struggle to articulate what makes Knob Hill differentiate itself as truly great, but I think it does do that. I try to trust my sense of that.

I know exactly what you guys mean...

Idlewild has it.
Flip has it.
Coyote Trace has it.
Holler almost has(d) it.

It is just how the course speaks to you... And really how the holes on the course speak to each other.

And really how the holes on the course speak to each other.

I think this is where that intangible element really starts to emerge. Relatively straightforward holes can add up to a sum greater than their parts when orchestrated correctly. You get that sense that things just fit together, almost as though the course couldn't be any other way. That's a good feeling.

It's definitely important to factor in that intangible sense of successful design. Though it's not a top 10 type of course, I'm always arguing for Pittsburgh's Knob Hill along these lines. On the surface it's a strictly par 3 course without a lot of pizzazz, and many of the holes are very straightforward. But, it all comes together incredibly well in terms of pacing, variety, and challenge. Many holes strike me as being archetypes, perfect expressions of a typical disc golf shot that elevate the course in hard-to-define ways. I've played a lot of courses along the lines of Knob Hill that seemed to me to be good not great. I struggle to articulate what makes Knob Hill differentiate itself as truly great, but I think it does do that. I try to trust my sense of that.

^ indeed! :thmbup:

I agree on Knob Hill as well... it is underrated compared to its Pittsburgh brethren. Some places the course is greater than the sum of its parts, some the course is less than the sum of its parts (Giles Run).

I only played it once and we parked near the first basket we saw (5 or 6 ?)and started throwingso we didn't get a good picture of how the course fit together. I thought it was awesome,but overshadowed by moraine which we played later that day. Interestingly, it was rated #13 at the end of 2008,which validates your point.
I need to play it again in the proper order.

Looks like Coyote Trace is closed until Sept. due to flash floods and logging of ash trees that are in rough shape because of the Emerald Ash Borer.

I only played it once and we parked near the first basket we saw (5 or 6 ?)and started throwingso we didn't get a good picture of how the course fit together. I thought it was awesome,but overshadowed by moraine which we played later that day. Interestingly, it was rated #13 at the end of 2008,which validates your point.

Yes, please come up this way!

Please let me know, that'd be great to meet up for a round or two. Many great options in this neck of the woods between Orange Crush and the Pittsburgh area courses.

Missed this!

I had a similar experience the first time I played it: hopped in in the middle, and I didn't get to play the whole 18. There's definitely a different experience playing it 1 to 18: it's one of the best flowing courses I've ever played. I was really sad to not get a chance and play it when I was up watching Worlds. It's a darn fine course. Definitely not a Moraine, but in an area with less competition I think it'd get more recognition.

I'm hoping to get there in early September on the way to Michigan.

If the stars happen to align, I'll be up there on the Saturday before Labor Day (the 5th) playing a round or two with Big Al somewhere. It'd be awesome to catch you, Rich!

If the stars happen to align, I'll be up there on the Saturday before Labor Day (the 5th) playing a round or two with Big Al somewhere. It'd be awesome to catch you, Rich!
Looks like this is going to work out. Plan to be in the area for the long weekend with my son and maybe my wife. Where is a strategic place to camp ?

Vision Quest just leap frogged BRP and knocked Maple Hill out.

*Yes, I am aware that this thread is rather old but I would still like to post a reply.*

Vision Quest just leap frogged BRP and knocked Maple Hill out.

*Yes, I am aware that this thread is rather old but I would still like to post a reply.*

Interesting. I find the "framed in" greens pretty hokey at Vision Quest. How many shots hit the logs that "frame in" the green and cause weird rolls/skips/etc? Traditional landscaping edging would have been easier to install and just as effective at retaining the mulch in the greens without impacting shots.

Interesting. I find the "framed in" greens pretty hokey at Vision Quest. How many shots hit the logs that "frame in" the green and cause weird rolls/skips/etc? Traditional landscaping edging would have been easier to install and just as effective at retaining the mulch in the greens without impacting shots.

well the name is pretty hokey. judging from the pictures, it's the worst part of the course

Huh.

All the water looks legit. Amenities look fresh to death.

Looks a little flat (just from a quick flip through the pics) for my tastes to be in the Top 10, but pics can be deceiving and as much as I'd like every course to be heavily wooded with major elevation changes, I realize that's just not going to happen. :)

I like VQ better than BRP, but I don't think either belongs in the top 10.

VQ is nice. Some of the things going on there do feel a bit hokey, for my tastes, but other may not agree. It's a really fun course, but not all that tough (I think I scored a 60, and I'm a 902 player, and was half in the bag). It's mostly flat, with some small roll to it. Mostly, the water holes are the biggest challenge, with only two (maybe 3) being butt pucker type holes.

I almost got to complete the Top 10 before it snuck in there. I guess I will have to hit up Vision Quest this fall or winter (if it is open) since Harmon Hills will be checked off this winter.

Also, I DO NOT like framed in greens. You shouldn't get rewarded with a lucky hold on a skipping shot on a green.

...and Maple Hill leapfrogs back ahead of VQ to knock out BRP.

Latest posts