• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Caliber is also going to get the same Paulie effect that Bucksnort and PF had. He's a fun guy to hang out with and adds to the experience of playing one of his courses. Not trying to say anything bad about Caliber but every little bit matters at the top of the ratings.

can anyone on here remind me again of the mn top 10 history

i think as i started dg brp was in top 3 or 5 and bryant lake was on the top 10 list too

or am i making stuff up

This is a fun discussion. But, does anyone really care about these rankings? Maybe a lot of folks do? I don't really know.

I think it was more interesting when this thread started, when there was a lot more movement. Now, it's quibbling over hundredths of a rating point.

Looking at first 10 reviews of Caliber there are nine 5's. Of these, it's the first time reviewing a course for 5 of them and for 2 of them it is the first course they've played.
The only 4.5 on the first page is from the Valkyrie Kid...1450 courses reviewed.
Irregardless of the lack of reviewing experience from many of the reviewers, it looks like a tremendous course.

...Stokley says it may be the "best course in the world"...

(That is awfully high praise from someone who knows a thing or two.)

Set of short tees probably going to be needed to get the praise; fully across the board; from the broad range needed to be top ten.

Last edited:

(That is awfully high praise from someone who knows a thing or two.)

Set of short tees probably going to be needed to get the praise; fully across the board; from the broad range needed to be top ten.

idk im sure for the right price we could get stockley or climbo or macbeth to say eagles edge 9 hole in brooklyn park is the best course they ever played

The only thing needed for caliber to crack the top 10 is 5 more reviews. It is a world class course. . It's the best I've played out the 166 I've bagged.

Last edited:

I don't think it's the best in the world, top 5 maybe, top 10 likely. I haven't played any of the current top ten, the closest in quality I have played are the extinct Circle R courses and Caliber is better IMO.

I just looked and it is up to 17 reviews and 4.82 avg. Four in the last week, looks like Stokley's video has raised interest and awareness.

I've been meaning to review Caliber.... it's 100% a 4.5 or 5, but I don't know if it cracks my top 10. But I'm just some random Am player who doesn't speak for the pros like Stokely. :D

Former top 10 course Phantom Falls is permanently closed? Looks like it may be true, and that's a shame.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3129

The owner of Phantom Falls was a nice guy named Paul who recently moved away and the course subsequently closed. Bucksnort, located just next door, is owned by someone else and is luckily still in action.

Here's the listing for the Phantom Falls property, all you need is 900K and 18 baskets and PF could be all yours!
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16200-Pine-Valley-Rd_Pine_CO_80470_M28925-23930

Caliber Paul is not the same person as from Phantom Falls Paul, right?

im suspicious as well

I'm not suspicious of the 5 star reviews so much as it just seems like courses can potentially get a very high average which it doesn't deserve due to "friends of the course" posting 5 star reviews.

I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT CALIBER DOES NOT DESERVE THE REVIEWS IT IS GETTING.

It would be nice if there were another review category like "how the most trusted reviewers review a course".
The way it is now, someone reviewing their first course and giving it a "5" has the exact same weight as someone reviewing their 100th or 500th course and gives it a "4".

It would be nice if there were another review category like "how the most trusted reviewers review a course".
The way it is now, someone reviewing their first course and giving it a "5" has the exact same weight as someone reviewing their 100th or 500th course and gives it a "4".

You can always check the box for "TR Reviews Only" when looking through a course's reviews.

Also, I'd respectfully disagree that reviewer experience should add more or less weight to a review. The best part of DGCR is that EVERYONE'S views count equally, and everything averages out between extremes one way or the other. There will always be outliers. Their opinions should count just as much as anyone else's.

I'll add that not everyone is a review nerd, and that there's probably a healthy subsection of discers who would read the word "schule" or about "NAGs zones" and their eyes would instantly glaze over. But they might read, understand, and appreciate a less-wordy chucker-centric sort of review.

The isolation of Caliber, and the majority of the golfers who play it, are definitely big factors of how the course is being rated. There are not any other premium quality courses within a few hundred miles for the semi-locals who don't travel much to compare it with.

AWOL and Wreckreator at Farragut are solid 4.0 courses and Caliber blows them away in my, and apparently most everyone else's, opinion that has played them.

idk im sure for the right price we could get stockley or climbo or macbeth to say eagles edge 9 hole in brooklyn park is the best course they ever played
Are you implying that Stokely was coerced in any way to speak of Caliber like he did?

.....And what makes you think that Caliber is receiving drive by ratings from folks who possibly might not know what they're talking about?