• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mt. Holiday DGC "Carly's Playground" being pulled for Zip Lines?

Everyone should continue to leave 1 star reviews for the resort, ruining there reputation
Or here's a suggestion, don't go to the resort, and perhaps write them a strongly worded letter why you're not coming.

Mt. Holiday
3100 Holiday Road
Traverse City, MI 49686

I mean, that's just me and my crazy assumption that money matters more to such an enterprise than their FB reputation.

Or here's a suggestion, don't go to the resort, and perhaps write them a strongly worded letter why you're not coming.

Mt. Holiday
3100 Holiday Road
Traverse City, MI 49686

I mean, that's just me and my crazy assumption that money matters more to such an enterprise than their FB reputation.

I think the idea is that knocking down their FB reputation a few pegs could also hurt their sales. If people read the reviews online and decide not to go because of the reviews than its cutting into the profit, at least to some degree.

I think the idea is that knocking down their FB reputation a few pegs could also hurt their sales. If people read the reviews online and decide not to go because of the reviews than its cutting into the profit, at least to some degree.

It is my understanding that Mt Holiday is a non profit setup. Owned and run by the community. Though we are not happy with the decision to remove the course, nor perhaps the way they have went about it. Intentional retribution is not really impacting anyone beside the community there. Few are saddened more than me, but some kind of vigilante justice just seems like a misdirected emotion response.

I agree with Scarp, if you wish to vent your frustration, write or email them and voice your displeasure. Why attempt to ruin the zip line and ski recreation for those who may love those activities. If we can't have fun, nobody should? :\

The baskets have already been pulled. I was under the understanding that the baskets will be given to the local club. Maybe starting a new memorial course is the only action left.

I agree with Scarp, if you wish to vent your frustration, write or email them and voice your displeasure. Why attempt to ruin the zip line and ski recreation for those who may love those activities. If we can't have fun, nobody should? :\

Very good response, I feel the same way when new courses interrupt natural habitats, and birders get upset. Things change over time, in the end this was a lease and not owned property, it couldn't last forever. Sad to see how it's being handled but I hope everyone can recover and build something better elsewhere to memorialize who was lost.

It is my understanding that Mt Holiday is a non profit setup. Owned and run by the community. Though we are not happy with the decision to remove the course, nor perhaps the way they have went about it. Intentional retribution is not really impacting anyone beside the community there. Few are saddened more than me, but some kind of vigilante justice just seems like a misdirected emotion response.

This is a good point, I often forget they are non profit. Your response makes a lot of sense in that light.

I left a message on FB asking them to tell their side of the story...

... They deleted my comment and blocked me from their page.

They also disabled the reviews for the page, but Google and Yahoo reviews are still up.

I'll go ahead and say it, if that's how they deal with situations:

F*CK.

THAT.

PLACE.

I'm gonna' keep blowing up their reviews and encourage others to do the same.

More so now than before.

Man, they just left like $20k in baskets, and the signs on the side of the road. Looks like things deteriorated pretty quickly over there. Rough. Good luck Todd and Co, hopefully you find a suitable home for all that powder coated goodness. Were you able to recover all 36 without issues?

I left a message on FB asking them to tell their side of the story...

... They deleted my comment and blocked me from their page.

They also disabled the reviews for the page, but Google and Yahoo reviews are still up.

I'll go ahead and say it, if that's how they deal with situations:

F*CK.

THAT.

PLACE.

I'm gonna' keep blowing up their reviews and encourage others to do the same.

More so now than before.

You obviously get to deal with things as you wish. My suggestion was to do so outside the vigilante, cyber world, where you have no responsibility for what you say. I personally think that is weak. The actual board members are insulated from your faceless crusade. The people who live in that community, the TC disc golf crew, Carly and her family and anyone looking to make use of Mt Holiday, in other forms of recreation, are the only ones suffering at the hands of your "justice". I cannot imagine the impact this would have on influencing potential future land owners, considering proposals to put the course on their land.

Very few here know what actually transpired over the last few months, maybe longer.

I would hope people would keep Carly, and her family and friends, in mind, before acting out. It would be my opinion, that such behavior is likely to end up hurting the very people you think you are acting on behalf of.

Again, you certainly can act as you wish, but I felt it important to speak my mind, as well.

ive spent some non disc golf time here and will never do so again. they are supposedly a non profit but they scraped disc golf for a money making zip line. lines that use areas that were cleared and cleaned by the people who installed the disc golf course. much of the community here is both mad and heartbroken over what has transpired. mt holiday will likely survive because this is such a tourist area but i think most of the locals will choose to avoid the place and encourage others to do the same. mt holiday is owned by the city but ran by a separate entity. the community did not make the decision to move this course. i drove by today hoping id be able to help get the baskets somewhere safe but no one was there and i had to go pick up my daughter soon. the baskets are just sitting out by the road still, i didnt count to see if they were all still there.

hopefully they will find a great property to build a new course/memorial. hopefully they think of something good to do with all of the amazing signs.

Mt. Holiday was formed in 1949 when a group of local businessmen obtained permission to construct a ski run on state owned land. The area was created using volunteers, prison labor, services and donations. In 1985, the area was purchased by Warren Brosch and his wife Sue. The Brosch's added two chairlifts, a tube run and a terrain park. After Warren's death in 1999, Sue Brosch placed the area up for sale. In response to the concern that the area would be sold and developed, a volunteer group formed Mt. Holiday, Inc., a nonprofit corporation to purchase the area. The group set a goal to raise $1.5 million to acquire the area, refurbish it and open to the public. The mission of Mt. Holiday is to provide four seasons of outdoor recreation, build strong minds and bodies in a safe, clean and healthy environment for people of all ages, with a continuing focus on disadvantaged youth.
disadvantaged youth can drop $48 per hour on a zip line tour? they pulled a disc golf course that was a memorial to a girl taken by a disadvantaged youth.

I understand the frustration and heartbreak, even though I've never played, or even been close to, Carly's Playground.

There is always this risk when putting courses on somebody else's land---whether a city park, a private property owner, a commercial property, or somewhere like this. The deal doesn't include "forever", and the owners may have a change of plans. About all you can do is hope they like having disc golf there enough that they want to keep it.

Even if disc golfers ponied up the money to buy land and build a course, there would be no guarantee of its permanence.

I wish you well in pursuing a replacement. Wherever you end up, I suggest you don't tell the owners of the prospective property that, if they allow you to build a disc golf course, then a decade or two from now, if they want to do something different with the property, they can't.

People who worship at the altar of Zuckerberg believe in stuff like that. People who are out living life and realize the world got along just fine before social media came around know all too well, that such stuff is much ado about nothing.

You obviously get to deal with things as you wish. My suggestion was to do so outside the vigilante, cyber world, where you have no responsibility for what you say. I personally think that is weak. The actual board members are insulated from your faceless crusade.
Especially when the attacks come from people six states away who realistically never heard of the place until word of this snafu happened, and honestly weren't planning to go there anyway had the course remained. Out of feelgoodery, I signed the change.org petition, and for my good deed I got a proposition from change.org to "sponsor" it for $15, which just shows what their agenda is, why petitions on that or any similar site aren't worth the megabytes they're written on.
:thmbdown:

Really the only people who actually have any ability to do any actual damage here are those who would have the means to visit the location (for any purpose) and spend money there (or choose not to). Being 1,000 miles from Traverse City, and having never been to Michigan in my life, I simply have no leverage in this fight.

Latest posts