• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Anode Putter

Does anyone have an image of the Anode profile? In particular, I want to know if the inside edge of the rim where the first joint of my index finger rests has a sharp right angle edge or if it is rounded. My putts use this edge to provide all the spin of my push putts and a sharp edge is vital to my style. Thanks...

It's smooth and rounded, and the depth is a little shallower than an Ion, so it should feel great to you. I like shallower putters and got used to my Ion, but don't love it. Anode feels good in my hand. Not as shallow and smooth as, say, an XD, but much more comfy than most deep putters.

I think the anode is the same core as the Ion, but since the overmold on the Anode jutts out a bit more it makes it feel shallower.

Definitely a sleeker feel than the Ion.

In my opinion, the only difference in feel between the anode and ion is that pronounced bead of the ion. Maybe my hands are retarded but I have to disagree that the anode 'feels' shallower than the ion. That is all.

In my opinion, the only difference in feel between the anode and ion is that pronounced bead of the ion. Maybe my hands are retarded but I have to disagree that the anode 'feels' shallower than the ion. That is all.

The reason the bead on the Ion juts out so much more is because the Ion's overmold is set higher. On top of that, the Ion's nose is fatter and the overmold looks larger in general. All of these factors combine to give the Ion a fatter feel in general. Now that I've gotten comfortable with Anodes my Ions feel instantly different in my hand.

On another note...I met a headwind today that really helped me see the difference between my Anodes and Ions. It was pretty fierce, coming off a lake. My Anodes all flipped up and over (though not out of control) from the same 10-15 degree hyzer release. The softs went over a little faster than my reg Anode, which held pretty straight. The med Eclipse Ion I had with me held the hyzer the whole way without being affected by the headwind at all. I will always carry at least that one Ion with me for confidence if the wind picks up.

On another note...I met a headwind today that really helped me see the difference between my Anodes and Ions. It was pretty fierce, coming off a lake. My Anodes all flipped up and over (though not out of control) from the same 10-15 degree hyzer release. The softs went over a little faster than my reg Anode, which held pretty straight. The med Eclipse Ion I had with me held the hyzer the whole way without being affected by the headwind at all. I will always carry at least that one Ion with me for confidence if the wind picks up.

Even though Anodes have taken over my Ions, I too keep a 176 soft Ion in my bag for those windy days. MVP needs to come out with an Ion-like stable putter with no glide for those windy day putts.

So I'm curious now about the depth of the Ion/Anode. PDGA sheet shows the Anode to be shallower and it definitely feels that way to me after switching back and forth between the two in the shop (as well as owning two Ions). I can't deny the feel comparison, but since I'd already seen the specs, maybe it's possible that my head affected my hand. lol. Good points brought up about the difference in size and position of the overmold. That makes me wonder exactly how the discs are measured for the spec sheets, if indeed they do use the same core...? But if it's the exact same core and the mold on the Anode sits lower, and if there's some way of measuring them that isn't straightforward clear to me, it seems as though that would make the Anode have a deeper rim measurement. Someone share thoughts and help explain this...?

Not sure any of this matters....to each his own with any disc, but putters especially.

Got my soft Anodes today and I will say they feel amazing! Have always been more of a fan of the soft, but I hope they don't run the firmer ones out of my bag now. lol

So I'm curious now about the depth of the Ion/Anode. PDGA sheet shows the Anode to be shallower and it definitely feels that way to me after switching back and forth between the two in the shop (as well as owning two Ions). I can't deny the feel comparison, but since I'd already seen the specs, maybe it's possible that my head affected my hand. lol. Good points brought up about the difference in size and position of the overmold. That makes me wonder exactly how the discs are measured for the spec sheets, if indeed they do use the same core...? But if it's the exact same core and the mold on the Anode sits lower, and if there's some way of measuring them that isn't straightforward clear to me, it seems as though that would make the Anode have a deeper rim measurement. Someone share thoughts and help explain this...?

Not sure any of this matters....to each his own with any disc, but putters especially.

I've seen some things in the past couple of years that have made me seriously question the measuring competency of the PDGA, so don't wrack your brain too much if things on the PDGA Specifications sheet aren't making sense. Several DGR guys have calipers and have done independent measures that did not support some of the info on that sheet.

I've seen some things in the past couple of years that have made me seriously question the measuring competency of the PDGA, so don't wrack your brain too much if things on the PDGA Specifications sheet aren't making sense. Several DGR guys have calipers and have done independent measures that did not support some of the info on that sheet.

I have a caliper, never thought to measure the discs tho. It's not like if they're off from the pdga measurement I can change it.

Well i got my softie on friday (first MVP disc) played 36 holes today and lets just say im sold on MVP at least the anode...such an awesome disc use to use a Aviar P&A...i was able to layup shots so much closer and hittin the bottom of the basket on approach shots 40'+ use to not be able to do that with the aviar p&a and i was very consistent with it closer in the circle... able to control this disc much better...:D

Last edited:

As soon as I pick up a soft Anode, I'll do some measuring against the Ions just for kicks. Is it a confirmed fact that they both use the exact same core piece?

I got a chance to try out my new anode today. It compliments my ion perfectly off the tee. I still prefer ions for putting, but that is probably because I used to putt with KC aviars and the feel is similar.

I am still preaching that the Anode is by far the best approach and driving putter I (stressing I) have ever thrown. However, even after loving this disc and now owning five of them, I cannot dial them in for actual putting. Too inconsistent for me, either too high or too low. Such a shame. At least my putter pocket on my bag can hold two putters.

Yesterday at Plymouth Creek, out of my three drives with Anode on Hole 1, two were of those moments where you think it has a chance to ace. I had a few other close calls with aces, notably on Holes 4 and 11. Such a great approach and driver putter. Yet I felt far more comfortable actually putting with my R-Pro Dart. The only missed putt I had yeserday was a fluke, hitting as center and perfect as possible and still finding a way to wash out. The previous days at Riebe Park and at home on my practice basket with the Anode, I could not make more than 40% of my putts at 15 feet or more with the Anode. Normally anything under 22 feet is next to automatic. From my misses, one out of three ended up turning into three putts.

Sorry, as much as I love this disc, I just cannot use it under 40 feet.

Latest posts