• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JOwens View Post
Alright, I need something between my Relay and Vanish. Somewhere near a beat in Escape in stability IE fairly straight. The only Volt I have thrown was an OS fission of all things. I don't know if that is indicative of them all or I just got an outlier. I am thinking Insanity or Tesla, but have not thrown either so looking for input

Get an Electron Volt, and go play 3 rounds with it.

Boom - there is your beat Escape.

My ion has some fade at the end out to about 300. Proxy goes dead straight but it doesn't handle powered down shots as well as I'd like, and I prefer the Ion to the envy... would rather go Ion-anode than Ion-proxy

Have you thought about a Spin? You may as well just give in to the need for plastic and get both. Haha. I found the Anode / ion combo a little redundant myself I rode the Anode train for years until I got an Envy.

Seen some people raving about the easy distance with the newer high speed drivers (Teleport, Mayhem, Relativity, Tenacity). Seems that most of the reviews for the Teleport (stable) and Mayhem (slightly less stable Octane) are relatively consistent and easy to get an idea of how they might fly. But for the Relativity and Tenacity, I've seen reviews and comments all over the board in terms of an expected flight. There are even conflicting reviews in terms of which is the more stable of the two; at the same time, there are reviews that suggest there's a huge difference with one being extremely understable in early portion of flight. Some say Relativity was close to Teleport; others, it's extremely understable. I'm guessing it's primarily related to different abilities of the reviewers? Anyone else throwing those two and able to add clarity?

Basically, and this is from experience, if you are not throwing over 400 feet, you are not going to see the advertised flight path from any disc in the teleport class. If you are throwing 350 and want to throw every drive at 100% and sacrifice accuracy, you might get an extra 20 to 30 feet. I personally throw the insanity class further and more accurately than the teleport class because disc speed and arm speed match.

Basically, and this is from experience, if you are not throwing over 400 feet, you are not going to see the advertised flight path from any disc in the teleport class. If you are throwing 350 and want to throw every drive at 100% and sacrifice accuracy, you might get an extra 20 to 30 feet. I personally throw the insanity class further and more accurately than the teleport class because disc speed and arm speed match.

Yeah, my experience as well really, but I remember Mike C saying that even powered down that the Tenacity or Relativity (or both?) were getting great distance. It looks like from reviews online that guys without "big arms" are really digging them. Ludicrous speed understable disc always sounds fun :)

Yeah, my experience as well really, but I remember Mike C saying that even powered down that the Tenacity or Relativity (or both?) were getting great distance. It looks like from reviews online that guys without "big arms" are really digging them. Ludicrous speed understable disc always sounds fun :)

Tenacity and Relativity are not in the same speed class so you shouldn't equate those. Tenacity is 23mm, Relativity is 24.5mm. Basically, the Tenacity is closer to a Destroyer or Prodigy D series width rim (I know Destroyers are supposed to be 22mm, but measurements show that most are closer to 23mm). The relativity is closer to a Boss or Katana width rim. That may not seem like a huge difference, but my experience (and that of a lot of other people I know) is that I get a lot more consistency with Destroyers than Bosses at my ~400 feet of power.

I see lots of guys on courses throwing high speed discs--and hear them talking about how much they like them--without any great distance involved. They can throw slower discs the same distance--I've watched them do it--while burbling about how much better the faster disc flies. I always take their claims with a grain of salt or two.

the shock is the most used driver in my bag for most holes up to 370, anything longer and a vanish/wave comes out (i get those out to 360 to 380ish, i use a football field for distance ranges)

still havent found a useable overstable distance driver for windy days yet.

Don't like the Photon or defy?
defy was too much and it overlapped with the shock (they went the same distance)

havent tried a photon.

tesla/wraths rim width... for some reason i cant throw them.

its either 1.9 or 2cm or 2.2cm. nothing inbetween. it is sooooo strange

Photon is basically like a fresh champ Wraith. Just a bit of turn(-.5 maybe if you don't get a FAF) with a nice fade and they eat headwinds for breakfast. The great thing about Photons is you can get them in the fission plastic, which IMO have a bit more turn when new. They also break in faster than the regular plastics. Even if you prefer the premium type plastics you can still get them down into the high 150s in N and P.

Photon is basically like a fresh champ Wraith. Just a bit of turn(-.5 maybe if you don't get a FAF) with a nice fade and they eat headwinds for breakfast. The great thing about Photons is you can get them in the fission plastic, which IMO have a bit more turn when new. They also break in faster than the regular plastics. Even if you prefer the premium type plastics you can still get them down into the high 150s in N and P.
only wraith experience is a dx wraith when i first picked up a disc. beat it up and i honestly dont remember what a fresh one flies like. i have used air giants before (well.. all plastics in giants) and those hyzerflipped went well over 360' for me. vip and elastos went 340. this was before i started to disc down and try to consolidate my molds. (getting closer to a core bag). but any speed 10+ discs are just a revolving door.

i am aware that super domey fissions are pretty understable(i can surmise a.vanish type disc) and the flat first ones are more coveted for their stability. buying online is hit or miss, so i have been hesitant to get one. only shop near me has neutron plastics.

i suppose it should be the next i try.

I've now thrown Photons in Fission, Neutron, and Plasma.

I like Plasma. The Neutron was like a PFN Star Destroyer but I could throw lighter weights with the same flight as max weight. The Plasma is very similar... but better grip. I've got a 152 and 163 right now where as I threw 175 PFNs.

The Fission is wraith like. Depending on your power level. I couldn't keep it in the fairway. Lot of glide. Didn't have near the stability I prefer. I found it less stable than the 168 star wraith I carried for 10 years. If you need more flip and glide, they'll give it to you.

I've now thrown Photons in Fission, Neutron, and Plasma.

I like Plasma. The Neutron was like a PFN Star Destroyer but I could throw lighter weights with the same flight as max weight. The Plasma is very similar... but better grip. I've got a 152 and 163 right now where as I threw 175 PFNs.

The Fission is wraith like. Depending on your power level. I couldn't keep it in the fairway. Lot of glide. Didn't have near the stability I prefer. I found it less stable than the 168 star wraith I carried for 10 years. If you need more flip and glide, they'll give it to you.

What distances did you get the plasmas out to? And what kind of flight at those distances/weights?

What distances did you get the plasmas out to? And what kind of flight at those distances/weights?

350-400' Thrown low and flat. 15'-20' off the ground. I get a bit of HST (.5-1), and a bit of Fade (.5-1). Just a touch of movement . 152, 163 weights.

Thrown Hyzer with elevation, I get about 325'-350'. Holds that line pretty straight with zero turn and a hard fade.

I'm 36 and my arm speed has diminished since my max weight pfn days. If you're younger (or in better shape) than me, you might see more turn. It's faster than my Teslas at the same weights... but to be honest - I don't care much for the Photon. I find the Tesla to be just as long, easier to throw, and more controllable.

Got a fresh electron ion in the bag for the winter.

This plastic is terrible. It sticks to your hand. Even used sandpaper on it.

Fingers crossed to loosing all my electron ions and green and yellow plaz volts this winter!

Got a fresh electron ion in the bag for the winter.

This plastic is terrible. It sticks to your hand. Even used sandpaper on it.

Fingers crossed to loosing all my electron ions and green and yellow plaz volts this winter!

Just send em all my way

I have a Neutron Photon. Agree that it's Wraith-like. Normally a bit too OS for me, but good when the wind is beating your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.