• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, everyone buy some DD soft neutron Ions so MVP starts making soft opaque again, hopefully in light weights. For those that threw the soft opaque non-textured bottoms, I'd appreciate a review/comparison vs. the DD soft Neutron:)

Also, here's a Ion timeline I copied from DGR that I found interesting:

discspeed said:
The term "run" made more sense to me when I knew far less about DG manufacturing. As of now I can't say for sure what constitutes a "run", so I'll give a brief MVP history without using that term.

The first Ions sold were blue w/red rim, weighed in the high 160s, were soft, had smooth bottoms, and circular tooling on the underside. There were only a couple hundred made.

Next they made full weight softs (most within a gram or two of max weight) in multiple colors. They had textured bottoms and the overmolds were not set uniformly--Some were near symmetrical, others were visibly crooked. They too had the circular tooling on the underside.

A good while (6mos or so?) went by with MVP pumping out only softs. During this time they prototyped some mediums, a few of which were donated to me as well as some local MI DG entities. They were all red/orange with very low set overmolds and had the same textured bottoms and tooling as the softs they were making.

The first medium Ions sold to the public were all blue, textured bottomed, and circle tooled. The overmolds were a bit more centered than the softs they had made, but were still far from perfect. A couple months later they started selling the mediums in all the same colors as the softs.

For some time MVP was running/selling unstamped soft and mediums w/textured bottoms and circle tooling.

Next the Ions got their hotstamp, though they continued to sell soft/mediums without the stamp as well. I remember this era lasting for some time as MVP was busy with their mids.

The next thing to happen was that the Ion mold got retooled to remove the texturing and circle tooling. Embossed logos were also added to the overmold. A small number of opaque soft/mediums with smooth bottoms and embossed overmolds were made during this time.

Next the Ion came out in the clear proton plastic. Mediums were run first, and would also be the last batch of black overmold Ions designated as "mediums" as they would just be referred to as regular proton from here on out. Next came the softs.

Next came Eclipse Ions, and I'm pretty sure the first ones were still marked "M" for medium, but newer ones are not. About this time soft Ions started to say "soft" proton on the stamp in both Eclipse and normal.

Neutron Ions came next, re-introducing MVP opaque plastic, albeit a different blend than the earlier Ions.

I may have missed something, but this is the general timeline.

i'm thinking of switching most of my discs over to mvp, but first i'd like to know what you guys think about certain comparisons:
Shock vs PD - is the Shock overstable enough? what can one do that the other cannot?
Vector vs Roc - do Vectors start out more overstable? how well does a Vector fight out of an anny.
Axis and Amp - how are they at hyzer flip to turnovers?
lastly, and be honest, what weaknesses do MVP discs have that are inherent to the brand?

you guys gotta sell me on these, i really want to take the plunge.

i'm thinking of switching most of my discs over to mvp, but first i'd like to know what you guys think about certain comparisons:
Shock vs PD - is the Shock overstable enough? what can one do that the other cannot?
Vector vs Roc - do Vectors start out more overstable? how well does a Vector fight out of an anny.
lastly, and be honest, what weaknesses do MVP discs have that are inherent to the brand?

First and foremost, DO IT. It's fun.....
-shock is more over stable and has less glide than a new S PD very similar to the old CFR beef PDs. Haven't beat my shock enough to see added glide or turn.
-vectors fly a lot like a flat top roc. Fast mid flight, straight with a hearty fade. They will pull out of an anny really well if given the height. I love my 172G Neutron flat top Vector.
-Axis can turn over but they take some seasoning. New axis will have very little turn, especially in neutron. The amp on the other hand can hyzer flip like crazy. Love the amp for hyzer flips that finish right.
-MVP has very little weaknesses besides their lack of molds. Every disc they have is a solid option to build a bag around. Their putters are second to none in terms of,glide, durability and distance. Their trio of MIDS are capable of every shot. Check out the Tangent! Their drivers are really amazing line shapers that have toned down glide for excellent placement.

All in all, MVP makes disc golf more fun with quality discs and really unique line holding abilities. Give it a go and if you don't like them, I'll be waiting with trades/PayPal :)
Enjoy!

Only threw a few 170-175 spds for a few rounds, but a Shock is a bit more OS than the beefy 175 SPD I threw but otherwise very similar. Extremely dependable into a headwind, and not so OS like an FB or XXX that its tough to get D.

Vectors can start out a touch more, or less, OS than a new max weight kc pro roc. They're pretty similar in reliability, wind fighting, glide etc, except the Vector feels a tiny bit faster, and wants to hold straight a bit longer before fading.

Axis is not a good hyzer flip turnover disc. I can throw mine flat, full power (375-390') and it goes straight with a tiny fade at the end. Think Buzz if it didn't fade as hard. Generally thrown hyzer, they hold the hyzer. Some Axis come out super flat and start out with -.25 to -.5 stability and those can make a hyzer flip mid, or get a Tangent.

Amp on the other hand is good for hyzer flips that finish in any direction. It feels like a longer seasoned pro leopard. Smooth, predictable turn, but not a real sharp turnover that tends to roll.

Weaknesses? Their midrange line-up, depending on how OS of a Vector you get, how US of an Axis, and how far you drive mids, can feel like it overlaps. I think they would do well to run the Axis slightly domey with 0 hss like all my Neutrons have come out, the Tangents as is, and the Vectors beefier than some turn out.

Before the Shock came out I would say they didn't have a solid long range headwind disc, but they 100% nailed that slot now.

They don't have a solid short range turnover disc at the moment. The Tangent holds a beautiful anny, and thrown flat with decent power it can be turned, but its not going to give as effortless as a turnover as a fuse, stingray, magic etc. It can handle some wind and power for how neutral to slightly understable though, which fits my style, but may or may not fit yours. I also utilize a ton of short range flicks so this does not bother me.

No baseline putter. I am ok with this and absolutely love the grip and durability of their putters, but some are not. I like that I can drive my putting putter full power into a brick wall and its ok, as opposed to a baseline putter I gotta fix with a lighter everytime it hits the basket funny and nicks.

mflores, pm sent!

I'll try to add some insight...
I was a PD thrower for a very long time. There are so many different types of PDs that it is hard to compare anything to them directly. The Shock is more HSS than most PDs. It's also a half step slower imo. The glide is similar, but I feel like the Shock glides better at lower speeds. The Shock is a bit less nose angle sensitive than the PD, so it's easier to work lines with anhyzer. To be fair it takes both the Volt and Shock to cover what I used to with various PDs, yet it's a whole lot simpler with the MVP discs than hunting/hoarding a bunch of different PD types.

I think the Vector flies more like a big bead Buzzz than a Roc. It is faster than a Roc and like Mike C said tends to hold a line a bit longer. With the big bead it comes out of annies really well. My 174 N Vector is the main disc that I work S lines with and I finesse it with varying degrees of anhyzer. Overall the Vector is a flatter Roc with gyro. It may be the most irreplaceable mold in my bag at this point.

The Axis can hyzerflip when worn, but it likes fly straight more than turned over. Personally, unless the Axis is stable enough to stay on the anny you put it on I find them really touchy to flip into anny lines with. Amps are great hyzer flilp to turnover discs, though of the 5 I have only 2 are really understable enough for these shots. The others will need a little beating.

Weaknesses are very much a matter of opinion. There are some things about MVP discs that are different enough from a lot of other plastic/molds that they may require some getting used to. First there is the whole "gyro" thing. MVP discs "feel" different in flight. They all share some flight characteristics that include more forward push on the flight lines. It's difficult to describe beyond that, but it does take some adjustment. MVP discs are also rounded where the inside of the rim meets the flightplate. I've grown to love this to such a degree that other discs feel bad. Again, it could take some getting used to. Lastly it seems that are a percentage of individuals that don't like how their plastics feel. Personal preference I guess.

I was a PD thrower for a very long time. There are so many different types of PDs that it is hard to compare anything to them directly. The Shock is more HSS than most PDs. It's also a half step slower imo. The glide is similar .

agree, better compared to a cpd really

FYI There is MVP Disc Sports fan page (closed group) created in Facebook.

Rocked my all MVP bag for the first time today. One of every disc they make. I can honestly say there's not much I can't do with the current line up. However, I would L-O-V-E a super beefy putter similar to a pig or rhyno..

Make it happen Brad and Chad :D

...please

Edit:

On a side note, the Shock is awesome...Way more overstable than I thought it would be. Which I'm loving.

I so far have the AMP and Volt and absolutely love them. I came to the point where I Want to use MVP for my putter. I currently Have:
-Zero Line Pure - I love it, Beat/grippy and flys amazing
-SSS Wizard - Use it for strait drives, I dislike the bead. (Think the Ions out for me :(?)
I just bought a Anode, as the Ion seemed to have a bead I didnt care for.
-Purple Anodes medium 174g and seems to be able to fly pretty good but doesnt grip itself in as much as my Pure and takes a little more oompf to get going.(Currently putting nikko style)

Would Anode in Soft grip more? or does it need time to season / warm weather? Are certain colors more US/OS?

thanks for all the replies! i've quoted a few of my favorite parts:
The amp on the other hand can hyzer flip like crazy. Love the amp for hyzer flips that finish right.
It feels like a longer seasoned pro leopard. Smooth, predictable turn, but not a real sharp turnover that tends to roll.
well i'm sold on the amp already. the hyzer-flip finish right is one of my go to shots, and the sound of a pre beat in leopard is music to my ears.

I was a PD thrower for a very long time. There are so many different types of PDs that it is hard to compare anything to them directly. The Shock is more HSS than most PDs. It's also a half step slower imo. The glide is similar, but I feel like the Shock glides better at lower speeds. The Shock is a bit less nose angle sensitive than the PD, so it's easier to work lines with anhyzer... Overall the Vector is a flatter Roc with gyro. It may be the most irreplaceable mold in my bag at this point.
...They all share some flight characteristics that include more forward push on the flight lines. It's difficult to describe beyond that, but it does take some adjustment. MVP discs are also rounded where the inside of the rim meets the flightplate.
perfect. i don't normally play the fade like most people, i prefer a straight shot that is can be worked left or right and glide to the basket.
as for the rounded rim, i have quickly learned to love the rounded anodes and sadly wizards are starting to feel weird.

on a side note, i'm probably going to drop the remainder of my tax return on a bulk order from MVP directly. has anybody had any experience doing this? seems the way to go, if you're gonna go for it :)

thanks for all the replies! i've quoted a few of my favorite parts:

well i'm sold on the amp already. the hyzer-flip finish right is one of my go to shots, and the sound of a pre beat in leopard is music to my ears.

perfect. i don't normally play the fade like most people, i prefer a straight shot that is can be worked left or right and glide to the basket.
as for the rounded rim, i have quickly learned to love the rounded anodes and sadly wizards are starting to feel weird.

on a side note, i'm probably going to drop the remainder of my tax return on a bulk order from MVP directly. has anybody had any experience doing this? seems the way to go, if you're gonna go for it :)

Same here!! Lets get a little package going ;)

Would Anode in Soft grip more? or does it need time to season / warm weather? Are certain colors more US/OS?

Anodes are pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Some people think Neutron plastic grips better than Proton so you might want to look into that.

Anodes are pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Some people think Neutron plastic grips better than Proton so you might want to look into that.

Ah yeah I forgot that MVP had 2 plastics, Ill defiantly have to try Neutron plastic and see if its a better grip/feel!

i guess i should say, i have to get at least 32 discs for the direct order. if people want to jump in on this, i'm down to collaborate. i'll probably be sending my order in at the beginning of next week, so if you know what you want, shoot me a PM over the weekend. fyi, the bigger the amount the better :thmbup:

Mike (or anybody), can I see a profile pic of the old Shock vs a Volt? They have some Shocks at my local PIAS but I can't tell which run they are.

They are really hard to distinguish visually. The better way is to feel the mold seam near the base of the wing for flash. The early run Shocks/Volts/Amps all have considerable flash there, where as the new Shocks have no flash on the mold seam.

Yah Kaiser MVP is very efficient. I split an order with a friend to stock me for the season for throwers. The shipping price is very reasonable through MVP, they get the order out quick, and it comes quick. You'll ( or the buyers obviously) may spend way more proportionately to ship out subsequently through the postal service unless you have a cheaper way. My buddy spent more shipping half his order to him from me than I did for the entire order to me from MVP. They a very respective of your color and weight choices as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.