• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for my wanting to switch is durability. I have a organic wizard and a SSS wizard both about 1 month old. There both beat to hell and the SSS is out of round. Everytime I play a new chunk is gone out of one of them.

So the ion is a good driving putter, but not a good putting putter?

IMO true. going to try a soft but many spit outs and even bounce outs prefer the Lat. 64 Spike and Pure but a soft could change my mind. Hell of a disc and love the ION for drives, upshots and spin putts but was not a fan push putting...

I think I'd go with softs too. I like that gummy feel your talking about. Do thier mids feel the same way? If so I may grab one of those too.

If you can, find the run just before they switched to the candy plastic. IMO it's the best run they made. Opaque flight plate with smooth bottom. I need to get a couple more of them...

I've personally only seen the white ones. I do however like the transparent ones too though. Maybe one of each. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

If you can, find the run just before they switched to the candy plastic. IMO it's the best run they made. Opaque flight plate with smooth bottom. I need to get a couple more of them...

These came in white and blue, I know that for sure, and I think black as well but I'm not 100% certain. I'm fond of this run too. I use 171 whites for putting Ions and I have a 175 blue that I like to drive with. The white ones feel just a tiny bit flatter than all of my other Ions. They seem to fly just a bit straighter and faster, which is one of the reasons I putt with one of them. They have a nice, low profile feel and really lock onto a nice, straight putting line.

The opaque Ions in general have a slightly different feel to the plastic. It's a little more flexible and is a bit less grippy, though it still grips very well. I've transitioned to the candy Ions (175 S glow, 171 S) for driving duties...they're all good, just a bit different.

And then after the Ion craze, most people will revert to Aviars.

Am I right?

Threw Wizards for 2 years before I went to Ions. I held a Wizard in a driving grip for the first time since my switch last night and it felt so weird to my hand. I couldn't imagine going back. I'm so happy with how they perform on any kind of shot, drive or putt.

Personally I just don't care for the premium plastic feel on my putters.

I never was either the entire time I had played DG. I gave the Ion a chance though and it actually works very well for putts.

IMO true. going to try a soft but many spit outs and even bounce outs prefer the Lat. 64 Spike and Pure...

One thing I've noticed with my Ions is if I hyzer them straight at the basket they tend to slip through the chains more frequently. If I let it come in through the side more on a hyzer line it sticks fine. Or if I putt with the disc flat straight at the chains (Which is how I really putt) they grab very, very well. If you use a hyzer putt it might be worth trying a flatter release. I putt with softs but I have a friend who putts exclusively with mediums and doesn't seem to suffer too many bounce outs.

I had a big problem with this the first 2 times I tried Ions but I figured out it was just the way I was putting that was causing it. Try a few different putting styles and see if the chances for bounce outs and spit throughs seem to decrease at all. Another thing I've noticed is if you can give them a little spin it helps them glide. I was more of a push putter with Wizards but with Ions I've added a bit more spin to my putt.

Last edited:
Been thinking about switching to ions from wizards. Can't make up my mind though. Love the wizard, but keep hearing awesome things about the ion.

I went from Wizards to Ions and I couldn't be happier that I did. Better feel, better glide, better durability, longer drives, straighter lines and just as much wind resistance.

I put on a flat plane as well, so the transition won't be too horrible. If you power down on it to drive does it tend to flip easy? That was my problem with my first putter a spike.

I've only had problems of my putts cutting straight through with medium discs where the over mold is harder and more slick.

The third run did not come in black I don't think. I know for sure they came in white, blue, green, and orange.

talked to gcr yesterday and actually put my hands on an ion. i am thinking of trying one or two of them out. I failed to ask the difference in plastics. Is Proton the candy (clearish) plastic and their opaque just the regular plastic? Are there differences in feel/flight? I know there is glow too. How do these differ? Someone please help explain my options with Ions.

I didn't want to read the entire thread and searches didn't get me right to my answer.

talked to gcr yesterday and actually put my hands on an ion. i am thinking of trying one or two of them out. I failed to ask the difference in plastics. Is Proton the candy (clearish) plastic and their opaque just the regular plastic? Are there differences in feel/flight? I know there is glow too. How do these differ? Someone please help explain my options with Ions.

I didn't want to read the entire thread and searches didn't get me right to my answer.

All Ions are proton plastic...The older ones are opaque and the newer ones are all clear. The differences between the opaque and clear plastic are minimal, what matters more is how old your Ion is. The first couple of runs we very straight to understable and in general they have gotten more overstable. So far I've found the glow Ions darn near identical to the other clear Ions in feel and flight.

Your real choice when it comes to Ions is the stiffness of the plastic. The softs have a lot of give in the flight plate. They hold lines a little easier and fade a bit more than the mediums and also glide farther. The mediums are rock solid when it comes to holding their line and I find they are easier to range on short shots because they drop faster. All in all the differences are fairly minimal and come down to personal preference of feel and flight.

^^thank you sir. Time to go buy me some Ions to try out. I will be jumping on the bandwagon, we will see if I stay aboard.

Threw Wizards for 2 years before I went to Ions. I held a Wizard in a driving grip for the first time since my switch last night and it felt so weird to my hand. I couldn't imagine going back. I'm so happy with how they perform on any kind of shot, drive or putt.

Might be getting an Ion Eclipse from Marshall Street, I'm curious, and they're cheap. I like the FR Vector I have, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.