• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

felt cute, ordered an eclipse resistor.

been thinking about going back to it and dropping the fireball. the resistor was a bit more workable so I threw it more often. I like the Fireball but I don't throw it very often because it takes a good bit of juice to get any distance.

I can see that. When I had a Fireball, it was a functional FH disc but nearly useless BH where I struggle to generate the same spin. Haven't thrown an eclipse resistor but really like the plasma motion for that it's gotta go for a bit and then get lateral hard shot. And rather magically, it seems to work well from both sides, at leas as a utility disc.

I tried the Fireball for a very short time, and went right back to the Resistor. The Eclipse is the most OS Resistor I've thrown and very very gummy. At least mine is gummy. I like it a lot.

I tried to like the fireball... ended up going motion for that spot for the same reasons as mas3006. The absolute lack of aerodynamics and glide did not make the fireball my friend. Great thumber disc though if you have the power.

Oh and I lost my glitch last night at dusk on a short 40' approach... took it with me to lock in the chickens.. 3 minutes to find it 10' behind the basket.

sounds good to me. i ordered the se halloween stamped run.

if I do end up bagging resistors again I have a well seasoned blue neutron I threw for years I'd pair with the fresh eclipse.

Then I have Craves from fresh and beefy to beat to flippy. They feel almost the same in hand so they go well together.

There must be more variance in runs than I thought. My Halloween Eclipse Resistor is way more beefy and consistently 15-25' shorter than my Fireballs and my Motion, which are really close to each other.

There must be more variance in runs than I thought. My Halloween Eclipse Resistor is way more beefy and consistently 15-25' shorter than my Fireballs and my Motion, which are really close to each other.

Don't even get me started on resistors.. That's why I bought the fireball and I'm happier with it, but prefer the motion over both. All in the 155-160 range.

There was a few resistor variants, I've never heard of a neutral (flippy) fireball.

Well when I get it in the mail next week I'll write some impressions. Maybe film some field throws.

I'll be comparing a beat first run neutron, a fresh first run neutron, and the halloween eclipse run.

are there any extra beefy runs of the reactor? that's become one of my most used discs very quickly, and I wouldn't mind covering a wider range of stabilities with them.

My first reactor was a blank eclipse 2.0 I ordered from OTB and it was of the beefy variety that people speak of. My neutron reactor flies very similar to a hex, just with a tiny bit more fade at the end.

The eclipse for me doesn't show that little bit of high speed turn, and the fade is more pronounced than neutron. It's a good solid step between a neutron reactor and pyro.

I ordered a backup from OTB and it appears to be from the same batch obviously. I got a lab second in a gyro 2021 box and stuck it in the backup box but at the time people were saying theirs had blue glow material so I checked mine and it barely had any glow at all. Thought it was weird so compared shape to my other two eclipse reactors and oddly enough the one that doesn't glow had a much lower PLH…pretty much identical to my neutron.

So yeah, there are beefy ones out there. I'm assuming the lab seconds were denoted as such because they didn't glow very well. No idea if any of those managed to get out into the wild with stock stamps or not. Supposedly they've fine tuned the molding process with eclipse discs so they turn out as intended flight wise…not everything is beefy now. No clue that's occurred with the eclipse reactors at this point yet.

Well when I get it in the mail next week I'll write some impressions. Maybe film some field throws.

I'll be comparing a beat first run neutron, a fresh first run neutron, and the halloween eclipse run.

are there any extra beefy runs of the reactor? that's become one of my most used discs very quickly, and I wouldn't mind covering a wider range of stabilities with them.

Which shop? Chumba doesn't carry a ton, Spinners is decent, DD Phoenix has always carried quite a bit, even some L2s. There's another shop here on the east side that's a hidden gem for a lot of hard-to-find stuff, and they always have a full rack of MVP/Axiom/Streamline...

Spinners, every time I go there looking for a specific MVP/Axiom disc they don't have it. It's looking like Chumba might have one I'm looking for and I think they have a disc of mine, so I'm heading out there this week to check them out.

I'm in Mesa, so what is the other shop that has MVP/Axiom?

I tried to like the fireball... ended up going motion for that spot for the same reasons as mas3006. The absolute lack of aerodynamics and glide did not make the fireball my friend. Great thumber disc though if you have the power.

Oh and I lost my glitch last night at dusk on a short 40' approach... took it with me to lock in the chickens.. 3 minutes to find it 10' behind the basket.

I felt the same way about the fireball. Last September I picked up a Plasma Fireball 169g, and a Plasma Motion 165g at the same time PIAS. The fireball took nose dives, and the motion I felt was too light. My Plasma Pyro was out distancing both of them, so I exchanged them for something else. I decided when ready I would pick up a heavier Motion, it took a while so about a month ago I online ordered a Plasma Entropy and Photon, and a Plasma Motion 172g and I love the disc, a fun throw now with fade and distance. Doubtful I'll see a Fireball again, less than two weeks ago picked up a Plasma Volt 172g it reminds of the fireball but much further down fairway with an ending nose dive. Not too hard to tell I love throwing Plasma's.

Don't even get me started on resistors.. That's why I bought the fireball and I'm happier with it, but prefer the motion over both. All in the 155-160 range.

There was a few resistor variants, I've never heard of a neutral (flippy) fireball.

I've rarely been more disappointed in a disc than the eclipse Resistor I bought. It feels amazing and I was convinced it would slot perfectly between the Chameleon Felon and Moonshine Justice in my glow bag, but it's very straight and turns a good bit on a hard forehand.

I felt the same way about the fireball. Last September I picked up a Plasma Fireball 169g, and a Plasma Motion 165g at the same time PIAS. The fireball took nose dives, and the motion I felt was too light. My Plasma Pyro was out distancing both of them, so I exchanged them for something else. I decided when ready I would pick up a heavier Motion, it took a while so about a month ago I online ordered a Plasma Entropy and Photon, and a Plasma Motion 172g and I love the disc, a fun throw now with fade and distance.

The motion is a solid disc. Good turn to fade kind of like a faster drone. I'm with ya buddy. Both it and the entropy aren't slots I use a lot but those are the discs to fill em. If it's so windy I need a fireball I'm already getting my ass kicked by torque monkeys and any finesse advantage I usually rely on is null and void.

I've rarely been more disappointed in a disc than the eclipse Resistor I bought. It feels amazing and I was convinced it would slot perfectly between the Chameleon Felon and Moonshine Justice in my glow bag, but it's very straight and turns a good bit on a hard forehand.

The resistor is weird. Straight up I don't like it. Haha. I think the plh is directly related to your speed bracket and it either fits perfect or doesn't. IE 400' players like the pfn runs for the control kinda like a meaty servo, the 350 ish folks like the turny ones. It has to be right in your sweet spot.

Only got one resistor left, a Mike C DGWYSO signed.. And thrown. I think kaiserflippin sent that to me. I might be wrong haha. The only resistor I like, the one not in the bag.

Im also biased because I got my ass handed to me in a tournament, in a hurricane by a legend and friend 20 years my senior, I was trying to rely on my pfn resistor but it just kept turning or flying straight whenit shouldn't ... the only time, ever. It found a pond that day. And every f##n sandtrap

I went to a local soccer field to get some field work in the other day. On my way to the field there was another man walking infront of me, perhaps 50 or 55 years old. To my surprise he also was going to the soccer field. When we were walking on to the field I noticed that the guy was wearing an MVP backpack, which I thought was interesting because I was going to throw Envies and Proxies. It turned out that the 55 year old guy was also throwing Envies and Proxies. So we had two middle aged men standing in a soccer field during snowy weather, both throwing MVP. What an incredible coincidence!

BTW the Resistor seems to have changed to be less overstable than what it used to be. Perhaps the modern polymer blends mold up different than the patent pending stuff?

BTW the Resistor seems to have changed to be less overstable than what it used to be. Perhaps the modern polymer blends mold up different than the patent pending stuff?

It depends on the Resistor. There was a run of Resistors that came out a year and a half ago that flew like a beat in Clash or stable Crave. The Halloween Resistors and most other Eclipse Resistors are slightly more stable than any of the Patent Pending Resistors I've thrown. On the flip side, I had a Patent Pending Resistor with a slightly lower PLH that flew closer to a stable Clash, so I don't think it's the plastic. I think it's just each mold having variations when it's molded.

I received my OTB open discs yesterday. I picked up the Soft Proton Envy, Soft Neutron Hex, and the Trace. The soft proton feels amazing. Proton has recently become one of my favorite plastic blends and this soft proton is really amazing. The soft neutron hex feels awesome, as can be expected with soft neutron mid ranges. The trance is really interesting and feels a lot like the 8-speed slot that has been missing from MVP's lineup for so long. With the current run of Volts being so ridiculously stable this is a nice compliment to get that straight or slightly US flight out of an 8-speed. I am eager to field test to see how it flies for me...

guess resistors are going back in the bag. hard to argue with the results.

k8dpuk.jpg

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm planning on playing Persimmon Ridge (most likely the shorter blue layout) in Arkansas on Friday. Just dropped a new lighter (166, I think?) Plasma Proxy in the bag for US approach. Otherwise, it looks like a steady diet of Wave and Defy in the forecast. If I can find the post at any point like Mike C above, I'll be thoroughly pleased.

First legit glitch ace in a practice round.. dnf on 9 cuz my knee hurts haha, not worth mentioning, barely worth remembering, first shot second hole, blind BH 160' hyzer, FR orange 151 stock stamp but...

Finally capitalized and the glitch ace drought has ended, many more to come, the floodgates are open now.

Well it's windy out today.. I was thinking pyro/tesla time. Took a few rhythms into a solid headwind the other day... cheesed the first one nose up, it rode really straight for about 3/4 of the way before hyzering off wide and deep, much better than I deserved. The next cct went wide S (well wider than normal about 30' of play) and was parked. The 160 se went dead straight (about 30' right) and elevatored a bunch before parking on the outside circle.

It was pretty much the same all day. I got some flat long subtle turns from the heavy stock ones, a few radical but not totally horrible turns with the circuits. The tailwind didn't hurt too bad either used some height and a little anhyzer. The glitches got hammered haha! Overall I am satisfied with the rhythms in the wind, the extra 15-20g helps too.

It feels like an envy day for sure, with a touch of entropy. Might be time to run the teslas against the rhythms.