• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

A quick date with some fine grit sandpaper will get Neutron to the "sweet spot" very quickly.
My plasma Ion was subject to this treatment and it came out beautifully.

I tried this too on a champ polecat and it seemed to make it slicker in some sense. I haven't done it often enough and probably don't have the technique.

Tbird888 is right.

I would think it would lose all tackiness.

In the case of Neutron plastic, it wears the glossy sheen off the disc, leaving a textured, grippy matte surface in its place. It also softens the plastic a little, very similar to if you were to throw it for many months/years.

My Servo just got to a point where I started seeing what looked like layers starting to peel. I know that's not what it was, but it's the best way I can describe it.

In the case of Neutron plastic, it wears the glossy sheen off the disc, leaving a textured, grippy matte surface in its place. It also softens the plastic a little, very similar to if you were to throw it for many months/years.

My Servo just got to a point where I started seeing what looked like layers starting to peel. I know that's not what it was, but it's the best way I can describe it.

I tried sanding a small section of a Proton Tangent once, but didn't like the result. Probably didn't sand enough, or maybe it works better with Neutron.

I have a beaten up clear proton ion that I picked up for a bit and I'll be damned if it isn't super slick and hard. It flies nice, but not much grip to speak of. Is that a trait of early proton?

I always thought the early Proton was quite grippy (until it got wet when it felt like it'd been sprayed with cooking spray), but I also think G9i is grippy.

All early proton/neutron didnt have the tackiness of todays blends. Even older soft proton isnt quite as nice as current stuff.

Neutron used to be very hard compared to todays stuff when it wasnt a soft variant like 2011 opaque softs.

I have a beaten up clear proton ion that I picked up for a bit and I'll be damned if it isn't super slick and hard. It flies nice, but not much grip to speak of. Is that a trait of early proton?

The Proton Tangent I sanded was an early run, right when it was released, IIRC. Ice blue.

20160112_184139.jpg

20160112_184216.jpg

Neutron on left......electron on right

Same exact PLH with electron as new plasma/neutron runs i have here but even flatter shoulder. These electron ions seem to be molded up really nice im not seeing flaws in the OM of any of the 40 here or odd spots etc.

Bottom picture shows the difference in the raised shoulder. Maybe these electrons will not puddle top as much as some ions can being flatter? Pretty damn legit though. Looks pretty much identical from 4 different plastic blends...!!!

You should have thrown a couple of other baselines into that wall for comparison. Even though the beat up ones are turning over hard, you can see how much more they want to stay in the air vs the newer ones.

You should have thrown a couple of other baselines into that wall for comparison. Even though the beat up ones are turning over hard, you can see how much more they want to stay in the air vs the newer ones.

Yeah, DX or Pro D would look primo afterwards. :D

I bet Gateway S versions wouldn't look bad though.

Yeah, DX or Pro D would look primo afterwards. :D

I bet Gateway S versions wouldn't look bad though.

I've actually broken three discs on trees before, and two of them were Wizards. One organic S and one super firm. The third was a DX Roc.

I wouldn't expect any baseline/pro equivalent disc to hold up to a full power drive into a brick wall, but it would be interesting to see how others compare.

Either way I'm happy I have a flip city Ion. That pink one is bagged while I try to gradually beat up the purple. I want the purple to fly like the pink, but with less flight plate damage in the end.

Thanks for sacrificing those discs, and showing the flight. I don't know how well premium plastic disc would have even held up. Haha. And when you said the pink is bagged that's hilarious. :p

Those discs are f***ed!

Not any worse than blown out oop magnets and bangers I see out on the course. One of the older guys here uses an old magnet that he calls "Lumpy"...