• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Wave

I have a 168g Neutron Wave that flies almost as understable as my ~155g Neutron Virus. And I use my Virus as a BH roller disc. Not sure if that's just a fluke or what.

The wave is an extremely weight sensitive driver. And I mean extremely. I carry two. A 167 and a 174. They are almost different discs it seems. The 167 is a Hell of a lot more Understable than the 174. The 174 is my go to long drive hyzer flip disc. I can almost always rely on it fading out in the end, but it always finishes right of center. The 167 thrown on the same line and height as the 174 will just slow pan right with know fade back at all.

The wave is an extremely weight sensitive driver. And I mean extremely. I carry two. A 167 and a 174. They are almost different discs it seems. The 167 is a Hell of a lot more Understable than the 174. The 174 is my go to long drive hyzer flip disc. I can almost always rely on it fading out in the end, but it always finishes right of center. The 167 thrown on the same line and height as the 174 will just slow pan right with know fade back at all.

Have you checked the PLHs of your Waves? I have three: 153g, 163g, 173g. The 153g is filppy understable. I have to hyzer-flip it, but if I hit it right i'll go far. The 173g is a bit overstable, always fades left, and is okay in the wind.

But the 163g's PLH is higher than the other two, which makes the 163g not the "just right" in the middle, but a less glide-y and a bit to the overstable side. It's a bit better with more use, but I'm still hoping to find a mid-160-class with a lower PLH.

So you're right that the Wave is weight-sensitive, but different PLH levels also add to the differences....

Have you checked the PLHs of your Waves? I have three: 153g, 163g, 173g. The 153g is filppy understable. I have to hyzer-flip it, but if I hit it right i'll go far. The 173g is a bit overstable, always fades left, and is okay in the wind.

But the 163g's PLH is higher than the other two, which makes the 163g not the "just right" in the middle, but a less glide-y and a bit to the overstable side. It's a bit better with more use, but I'm still hoping to find a mid-160-class with a lower PLH.

So you're right that the Wave is weight-sensitive, but different PLH levels also add to the differences....

I have checked plh on them and to the naked eye, they are identical. And, for me, I actually like the difference in flight. Thankfully, I bought them in different enough colors that I don't mix them up. I do have a photon that's the same color as my light Wave. That's caused a couple of wtf moments. Lol.

^ I had a serious WTF moment when I threw my Tesla instead of my first run Volt. Hyzered the Tesla right into the river

I have checked plh on them and to the naked eye, they are identical. And, for me, I actually like the difference in flight. Thankfully, I bought them in different enough colors that I don't mix them up. I do have a photon that's the same color as my light Wave. That's caused a couple of wtf moments. Lol.

I like the difference in flight of my Waves, if only I can get one in the middle that flies like I want it to. :popcorn:

BTW, you remind of of a time I pulled out my yellow Star Cobra to throw an anhyzer shot to a basket downhill and to the right. Threw it and watched it make a beautiful S-curve that ultimately went straight instead of ultimately turning over to the right. Fortunately, the boughs of a tree stopped the disc from sailing way off (it was really going fast and wanted to go far).

I was confused until I got to the disc and picked it up... and found that it was my yellow Star Starfire (!). Still don't know how I managed to pick it out of the bag and throw it without realizing the difference. :confused:

Has anyone tried a Plasma Wave yet? Wondering if there is extra glide from the plasma plastic. I'm trying to decide if I want to pick one up at an upcoming circuit event. It's my go to distance control driver.

I picked up a plasma wave and I swear it is a touch more US than my neutron, similar weight. I need more time to experiment to know for sure.

I picked up a plasma wave and I swear it is a touch more US than my neutron, similar weight. I need more time to experiment to know for sure.
Agree. Mine is the same. 2g heavier than my neutron yet turns more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Found a n 163 wave on the course yesterday no ink. Tossed it a few times last night and it was flying like a wave should for me. Turn and some fade back with a hyzer release. Today I took it and my 174 hofc wave to the field. I agree these seem like two different discs. My hofc is flatter than my 163 and seems more stable barely any turn and some fade at the end. I broke 400 today multiple times with both waves but the flights are entirely different to get there. Enough that both are bagged as these are my only long range discs. Fun fun mold! My field work is paying off now I just hope it transfers to the course.

Picked up a used 8/10 174g Proton Skulboy Wave for $10 at a local shop, looking to test out as a longer hyzerflip disc. Not at all what I expected. Very little turn, didn't like to flip up when thrown on an attempted hyzer flip, however, when thrown flat, thing thing can bomb. It's just stupid straight. A slight wiggle of turn, then straight as as arrow for about ~350' with a fairly mild forward fade, ending up at 392' on my first flat throw according to UDisc. Not the hyzerflip/understable flight I was expecting, but it certainly cranks out there. Plus, Skulboy for $10. Com'n.

Doubt it will make the bag, but it's a neat disc for sure.

Identical to this with a slight scuff over a bit of the "lightning."
f46c536a-f2b7-44a9-8ac5-0359626c67caDSC04813.JPG

Last edited:
Picked up a used 8/10 174g Proton Skulboy Wave for $10 at a local shop, looking to test out as a longer hyzerflip disc. Not at all what I expected. Very little turn, didn't like to flip up when thrown on an attempted hyzer flip, however, when thrown flat, thing thing can bomb. It's just stupid straight. A slight wiggle of turn, then straight as as arrow for about ~350' with a fairly mild forward fade, ending up at 392' on my first flat throw according to UDisc. Not the hyzerflip/understable flight I was expecting, but it certainly cranks out there. Plus, Skulboy for $10. Com'n.

Doubt it will make the bag, but it's a neat disc for sure.

I have two that fly like this, a Proton that I rescued from a guy that had no business throwing one and a Plasma circuit stamped one. I think they're both in the 170s, the Proton being flattish and the Plasma with some dome. Stubbornly straight, almost new Trespass stable.

They are not really US but like the slower cousin inertia ride that stable to US line real close so any variation in PLH and it changes flight for sure.

I would prefer it was a little more HSS when new so sounds like protons might be a good bet there.

I am a total noodle arm, and I love my Wave.

I've got a Neutron HOF stamped Wave, 158g. It is the perfect distance driver for me, especially when I've got an open fairway in front of me. I've even gotten perfect S-curves when I've thrown it with a little anhyzer (I SAID I was a noodle arm lol). Easily 50-75 feet farther than anything else I throw. I would recommend it for anyone with a little DG experience who is moving up to distance driers for the first time.

All of mine were pretty US at +170g when i ordered them. Lost most due to flipping over slightly to the right and flying foreverrrrr but not on the line i wanted. Really expected some more stability and even the stock stamps werent any different. Havent thrown a proton yet.

So I'm having the hardest time finalizing my distance driver slot. Ideally I was going to have a max weight photon, 160s photon, max weight wave, and lower weight wave. On paper it sounds good but I'm having a tough time deciding between my 143 fission photon and 175 proton wave. They both pan right most of the flight (rhbh) and come back a bit at the end. The photon bites a little harder but later than the wave.

I still need to pick up a lighter wave for steeper hyzer flips/turnovers and heavier photon for heavy wind (my 167 proton has developed a bit too much turn) but is anyone else rocking this type of setup or had to make a decision between fission photon and wave?

... is anyone else rocking this type of setup or had to make a decision between fission photon and wave?

Before the 23mm class came out I used to carry a max weight P Photon, 162 F Photon and a max weight N Wave. I also had hard time choosing between a F Photon (143g) and the Wave. I ended up bagging the Wave because it turned more reliably when needed and didn't feel like a was tossing a paper plate (below 150 feels wrong:p).

I still carry max weight P Proton for 'accurate' distance along with a seasoned 172 g N Defy. After some beating the Defy starts to differ from Photon enough to really pair up with it IMO. Maybe a light Defy could also be something you're looking for? Although it might not turn enough... I haven't thrown any sub 170 Defys, but if others have any experience?

I replaced the Wave in my main bag with a 165 Octane because I got the same flight path but more distance.

Latest posts