• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

Can you turnover a Buzzz SS? Then you'd have the whole hive...similar feeling discs that cover any all your mid duties. Kind of like a Roc cycle.

I can, but the z I have tends to fade out at the end when I throw it high. The Warrant holds the anny to the ground. I do like the feel of the SS better than the warrant in my hand. I think I may try to beat one it a bit. I am also going to try the fuse as well.

I used to cycle rocs, but I don't play enough to do that any more. If I lose one of my beat up ones, then I have no turnover disc. Also, my champ ones are all USDG ones and I hated throwing them because I was always afraid to lose one as they run like 30-50 dollars a piece.

After your suggestion, I did some testing and the Buzzz SS was exactly what I was looking for. Just needed one in a lighter weight. Picked up a 168 and a 170 and they flips over and holds the anny to the ground I pair that with a heavier one that flips up to flat or turns then flexes back to center. So the Warrant will be hitting the bench for now.

The drone was just too good and it has beat out the Buzzz OS. The OS really doesn't feel buzz like in the hand IMO anyway. I like the gradual consistent fade opposed to the hard dump of the OS. I loved the flat top feel of the OS, but did not sidearm them any better than the drones. I am really liking the extra distance and lower flight lines of the buzzes over the Rocs I've thrown in the past. You may be seeing some Vintage USDGS Rocs on the BST thread.

I played today with my new bag full of replaceable discs and shot 2 under, the best round I've had in a while. Hit the basket from 250 out with my Nova as well. Made some more adjustments after getting some new discs in and doing a few hours of testing and playing today.

I have relegated the Laces to the bench as I have had some problems with inconsistency between runs and rubbers.

I lost one of my putters the other day and it's really a struggle to replace. Rhynos that are so beat up they turnover are hard to come by. So I bought a few R-Pros and they honestly feel great. Somewhere between SE or old Pro Rhynos. Just need to throw them into a few hundred trees and I'll have new putting putters.

Right now, after todays testing, I have in the bag:

Max D:

Testing out the Opto and GL Saints in low 170's- They have been the only discs that consistently outfly the Teebirds I have.

Fairways:

175 Champ Teebird
173 Champ Teebird
172 Star Teebird

175 Champ Leopard
167 Pro Leopard

Utility:

175 Champ Firebid
175 Sexton Firebird
156 Champ Firebird

180 SE Drone

Mids:

179 TI Buzzz
180 Z Buzzz

173 Buzzz SS
170 Buzzz SS

Putters:

Throwing:
175 Nova
175 Pro Rhyno

Putting:

173 Pro Rhyno
172 Special Edition Rhyno

Few updates this month. I have played more times this past month than I have all year. my back is a bit sore, but it's fun trying to figure out my bag and get my form down after being gone for a while. I have a tournament next weekend that I am trying to prep for.

I got my hands on the Hyzerbomb Mortar and it was everything I had wanted in an overstable mid. I have a few grip lock issues with the frontline X plastic, but other than that it feels great and flies well. The drone is better for me if I 'm only throwing backhand, but I've been trying to incorporate a forehand into my game and the beadless Mortar feels much better.

Still enjoying the Buzzz lineup for mids. A Champ Roc occasionally sees the bag if it's windy in particular but I have't felt the need to go back to them.

I was trying to find a Max D driver and was trying the Saint. It is one of the glidiest drivers I have ever thrown. It was not that much longer than my Teebirds, but fresh ones flew like a beat in teebird with an extra 15-20 ft. A worn one flew like a Leopard but a good 30 extra feet. I have since kicked the Leopard out of my bag which was very surprising.

I ended up getting that lost SE Rhyno back which I am very thankful for. The R-Pro Rhynos are fantastic. Not very overstable, like a 1.5 fade instead of a 3, but they feel great and are board flat. They replaced the Nova as a cheap no harm in losing straight putter.

I have done an insane amount of testing with distance drivers. Some old, some new. I tried a few destroyers, Tresspasses, D2's, D3's, Viking Thors, Terns, DDXs, Laces, Octane, Nitro, X3, Tenacity, Shryke, Catalyst, and some Mayhems. Probably a few more but I can't remember at this point. Long story short, the Mayhems have performed the best so far. The Tresspass had the longest throws out of the lot with the Shryke being a close second specifically on downwind throws. The Shryke was unusable in the wind though, even in a 10 MPH head wind it would turn and burn. The Tresspass held up much bit better in the wind. However, while it did have my longest throws pushing one out to 435 and another to 425, there were some release and aim issues with it causing loss of distance over all and less accuracy.

I'm leaning toward the Mayhem because the consistency of the flight and accuracy was by far the best. I had a few over 400, but none were less than 375. Typically, when I threw the 3 ones I had, they were all grouped within 15-30 ft of each other just under 400 ft away and relatively on target. It was also a solid sidearm disc for max distance as long as my form was relatively clean.

I have in the bag:

Max D: 350+

Mayhems (Some neutron and some proton in varying weights. Trying to pick which one or 2 to bag.

Fairways: 275-350

Teebird - Fresh Max Weight (Champ or luster)
Teebird - Seasoned Max Weight (Jennifer Allen or champ)

Saint - Max Weight opto fresh
Saint - Max Weight opto or GL seasoned

Utility: FH 250-300 / OH 200-235 / BH 250-300

Firebirds:
one seasoned sexton
one fresh max weight beefcake
one lightweight one in the 150's

Mids: 200-300

Hyzerbomb Mortar - Frontline x Max Weight
Buzzz - Max Weight Z FLX
Buzzz SS - 166

Putters:

Throwing:
Rhyno - Max Weight Champ or luster fresh and beefy
Rhyno - Max Weight straight Pro or gummy champ
Rhyno - Max weight SE or r-pro Seasoned to turnover

Putting:

173 Pro Rhyno
172 Special Edition Rhyno

Here's what I've been throwing this year. I've really tries to minimize the amount of discs and molds in my bag in an effort to gain some more consistency. I've been working on my forehand as well so most of my discs must be able to be comfortable for both styles of throwing.

I have in the bag:

Max D: 375+ this has been the biggest struggle for me as I have never really been comfortable with wide rimmed drivers and really lack consistency in my release.

Destroyers (testing out the D2 for this slot as I am having some release issues with destroyers)

2 Teebirds - usually a pretty fresh max weight one and one a bit more beat in

2 Firebirds - beefy but not crazy overstable. Usually sextons or seasoned champ. Occasionally I will throw in a 150g one as well for better distance on sidearms or overhands.

1 Saint as an all purpose fairway that can fill the slot of a beat in teebird with a bit more easy distance. This is not thrown very often but I would feel bad if I left it out.

2 Emac Truths - max weight in lucid and fusion. The best sidearm midrange I have found to date IMO. Also pretty great for a backhand disc as well. Suprisingly long and can handle a fair bit of power.

Putters:

Throwing:
1 Zone - usually max weight z but sometimes FLX or titanium depending on weather. This disc has been a revelation for me being able to replace my mortars and OS rhynos by being able to work both FH and backhand.

1 Marshal in max weight lucid for straight to slightly os shots.

Putting:

I'm putting with the marshal right now in the classic blend plastic. Very similar flight to my wizards, but a bit more shallow so they feel more comfortable in my hand.

Updated ITB:

I feel like this is the best I've felt with my bag in a long time. Very streamlined with minimal molds but I feel like I have a disc for every shot if needed. I am really enjoying throwing discs that are relatively easy to replace. Not afraid to throw my CE stuff or usdgc rocs or anything else. I am very glad I made that switch last year, just took some time to find the right combos, and hopefully I have. I am also really liking my Marshals. Definitely one of the best throwing putters I have tried. I also like putting with them, but my putting is so hit or miss right now. I know it's not the discs fault because it feels great in the hand and flies like I want it too, I just need to work with them a bit more. I have been infatuated with finding a putter mold that I can throw and putt with (I've tried almost all of them) and I think that this is it.

I have in the bag:

Max D: 375+

The D2's have been excellent for me here. They have been what I wanted the Destroyer to be. Longer, more consistent releases, more glide, better/more durable plastics IMO. I have not had the inconsistencies that some have gotten from Prodigy with this disc. I have been pushing them to 400 and a bit over pretty consistently. Had one today pin high on a hole where I am almost never pin high.

175 Beefy Domey 400g
175 450 SE Main sidearm and backhand distance driver straight maybe a bit of turn but a nice hard finish. This is my go to. The plastic feels and flies amazing
174 400g backup to the main driver
169 400g max D turnover/hyzerflips
159 400g Tailwinds or rollers only

4 Teebirds

175 11x Teebird straight with a nice finish
175 Jen Allen back up to the 11x
174 champ Straight and will hold any line I put it on
174 Champ Turnovers

2 Firebirds

175 Champ and beefy
156 Champ straight with a very hard finish. straighter and longer than the 175 but still with a strong fade.

I will occasionally throw in a 3rd firebird (sexton) if it is a bit windy or a saint in the bag when I need something to hold longer turnovers or if I'm afraid to lose my flippy teebird on a specific hole.

I have been getting away from carrying a bunch of mids. I typically carry 2-3 truths with varying degrees of wear. Really liking the truth here for its stability and its feel for the sidearm.

179 Lucid Emac Truth straight with a nice finish
178 Lucid Emac Truth backup to the other lucid
178 Biofuzion Emac Truth for straight to turnovers

Putters:

Throwing:

175 Champion Pig beefcake
175 Pro Pig Beefy but with a bit more glide than the champ, trying to beat it in to be straighter

175 Lucid Marshal for straight to slightly os shots.
174 Classic Blend for straight to understable shots or very long spin putts

Putting:

2 175 Prime marshals. I like this putter, but I just suck at putting. Going to stick it out and just see how these go long term.

Only 6 molds for my whole bag. All of them fit my backhand and sidearm. Very easy to pair down to a minimal bag for casual rounds, glow rounds, or play this extended bag for competitive rounds. I feel really good about it right now. Now if only I could putt.

Quick update:

This is easily the happiest I have ever been with a bag. I'm sure I've said that before, but I mean it this time :D . I've been rocking pretty much the same bag for almost 4 months now with the occasional mold coming in and out. I've been playing a lot with a paired down bag with good results. I really feel like I can hit every shot with these discs. My FH has come a long way over the past 6 months. I could easily do without the Trident but it is one of my favorite molds of all time and I always look for an excuse to put in there. Same goes for the Rhyno and Mortar, both of which always seem to be lingering around.

Full Tournament Bag:
5 D2's - Varying weights and plastics from insanely overstable to flippy tailwind/roller
4 Teebirds - Champ overstable to understable
2 Firebirds - Max weight and 150 class
1 Trident - Overstable utility right in between the pig and firebird
3 Truths - Emacs Striaght to understable
2 Pro Pigs - I've replaced the mortar with these.
2 Marshals -Lucid and Classic blend for throwing
2 Marshals - Classic blend for putting

Paired Down Bag:
2 D2s - Over and understable
2 Teebirds
1 Firebird - 150 class
2 Truths
1 Pig
2 Marshals - Lucid and CB for throwing
1 Marshal - Putting

I could easily go out there and throw just a D2, Teebird, Truth, Marshal and maybe one of the overstable utility discs and be just fine as well.

What goes up must come down. What is in my bag must come out. It's like a law of physics. AS happy as I was with my previous bag, I am even more happy with this one. Switched out Marshal's for Envy's and The Pigs for Zones. Also, just completely dropped midranges. I have found that the envy's cover most shots that I would use a mid for, If I play a course that want's mids then I will bag the truth still as I do like that disc.

Full Tournament Bag:
5 D2's - Varying weights and plastics from insanely overstable to flippy tailwind/roller
4 Teebirds - Champ overstable to understable
2 Firebirds - both Max weight
2 Zones - Crystal Z Max weight for overstable duties
4 Envys - 2 Electron for putting and 2 neurton for throwng

Paired Down Bag:
2 D2s - Over and understable
2 Teebirds - Over and understable
1 Firebird
1 Zone
2 Envy's - 1 electron for putting and 1 neutron for throwing

I could easily go out there and throw just a D2, Teebird, Envy, and Zone and be just fine as well.

5 Molds is the golden zone for me. So simple and easy. I won't hesitate to throw Truths again if I need to though.

I like your bag. Mine is kinda similar. It bases on P3s, Zone and Teebirds. No real midranges usually. I just don't throw fast drivers.

I like your bag. Mine is kinda similar. It bases on P3s, Zone and Teebirds. No real midranges usually. I just don't throw fast drivers.

Thank you. The simpler the better, right!

I often go out without the Max D stuff. Some of the courses I play don't call for it, but I do typically get 30-50 more feet out of the D2's over the Birds. Especially with the sidearm. I use the D2s for max D sidearms. I have really focused sidearms this summer and can now get them out to the 350-375 range.

The addition of the sidearm to my game has been the biggest thing in terms of affecting disc selection and the ability to minimize my molds. Obviously on the scorecard as well.

[...] but I do typically get 30-50 more feet out of the D2's over the Birds. Especially with the sidearm. I use the D2s for max D sidearms. I have really focused sidearms this summer and can now get them out to the 350-375 range.

I'm just not there yet. ;-)

I had an itch to throw some rocs in the bag so I'm currently scratching it. Again, I will often throw a Rhyno or two in the bag, but for the most part this is what I'm experimenting with. Really it's a lot of the same discs, but I'm essentially replacing the envy's with the Rocs.

Full Bag:

5-7 D2's
- 450SE - 175 only bag it in insanely high winds,
- 400G - 175 sidearms and headwind or overstable drivers
- 750G - 173 workhorse distance driver. Flips up but finishes strong
- Proto - 175 max d Sidearm and slightly flippier than the 750 main straight disc
- 400G - 169 holds the line you put it on. Max D driver will turn over if you force it
- 400G - 168 Long turnovers, standstill max d sidearms easy hyzer flips
- 400G - 158 Tailwind or rollers only Rarely if ever bag it

4 Teebirds -
- Color Glow - 175 Sidearm and backhand workhorse straight to overstable with a nice finish
- Champ - 175 Straight with a nice smooth finish
- Champ - 175 straight to neutral but will turn over if pushed or put on the line
- Champ - 174 Understable, hyzerflips, long turnovers.

2-3 Firebirds
- CE - 175 the most overstable disc I have ever thrown, pancake flat for sidearms and heavy headwinds
- Color Glow - 175 smooth sexton straight with a very nice perpendicular finish
- Champ - 175 basically a sexton flys the exact same, usually a backup and not always bagged

4-5 Rocs
Champ - 180 2008 USDGC F2 beefy backup for my 06 roc semi domey
Champ - 180 - 2006 USDGC throwback - money straight to overstable roc, workhorse disc
Star - 180 - rancho striaght and will hold any line you put it on. Very glidey
DX - 178 Straight to understable, hyzerflips
12x KC Pro - 176 - very beat in and understable. Long high turnovers and rollers

2 Zones
- Crystal Z - 175 american flag beefcake
- Big Z - 175 straighter but still with a strong finish. Workhorse sidearm disc

2 Envys - I typically will carry one max weight that I will putt with (with a few backups if needed) and one a bit lighter (167-170) for outside the circle putts, anhyzer putts, and some upshots.

Paired Down Bag:
2 D2s - 400G 175 overstable and 400G understable 169
2 Teebirds - Color Glow and the turnover champ
1 Firebird - sexy bird
1 Zone - Big z
2 Rocs - 06 throwback and the orange DX
2 Envy's - for putting

My new bag, the Upper Park Shift came in the day after posting my last update so I have had to make some cuts to fit the discs I need in the bag. it Really only wants to carry 16-18 discs but can maybe hold 20 if really needed. This has actually helped me a bit as I have really been able to focus on what I like to throw and what I throw often and well and cut things that really do not get used very often. I will say I miss having access to backup discs, but other than that, I have been really happy with the bag shooting my best score ever in tags last weekend.

Here's what I've adjusted to:

5 D2's
- 450SE - 175 basically a utility disc/longer firebird. No flip at all.
- Proto - 175 Orange - Flips up and turna a bit, very good in the wind and for max D sidearms.
- Proto - 175 blue max d Sidearm and slightly flippier than my other proto.
- 400G - 169 orange holds the line you put it on. Max D driver will turn over if you force it
- 400G - 168 purple Long turnovers, standstill max d easy hyzer flips Tailwind driver.

3 Teebirds -
- Color Glow - 175 Sidearm and backhand workhorse straight to overstable with a nice finish
- Champ - 175 straight to neutral but will turn over if pushed or put on the line

2 Firebirds
- Champ - 175 Huk Lab beef cake flat firebird
- Champ - 175 basically a sexton flys the exact same, usually a backup and not always bagged

3 Rocs
Champ - 180 - 2006 USDGC throwback - money straight to overstable roc, workhorse disc
Xt - 177 Just picked this up and I love the plastic. Super grippy, flat, and durable. Exactly what I want out of a roc. Straight with a smooth finish
DX - 178 Straight to understable, hyzerflips need to beat in a bit more

1 Zones
Big Z - 175 Utility overstable mid/putter forehands and backhands

1 Rhyno
Pro - 175 Beat in to straight, utility disc up shots backhand and forehand from 50-200 ft.

3 Envys

- Electron soft - 173 grippier wet/cold putter, straight
- Electron - 174 - fresh and straight with a more overstable finish. Main putter inside circle and in winds
- Electron - 168 - outside the circle and straddle puts. mid range and upshots. Anhyzer puts.

There are 2 discs I miss the most. A 4th Teebird that is straight with a smooth hyzer finish and a turnover roc. The DX one I have is understable, but not quite seasoned enough. Other than that I feel super comfortable with everything in my bag right now.

I've really hit a groove with this bag. Lost a couple and replaced a couple but the molds have stayed the same for the most part.

5 D2's
- 450SE - 175 Beefcake
- 400G - 173 Orange MAX D sidearm and headwind driver. Beefy but will flip to flat
- 750G - 173 Orange fairly overstable can turn a bit but always comes back hard Workhorse
- Proto - 175 Orange Flips up and turns a bit before finishing forward. Will hold an anny if put on it
- 400G - 168 Purple Long turnovers, standstill max d easy hyzer flips Tailwind driver.

3 Teebirds -
- Color Glow - 175 Jen Allen Sidearm and backhand workhorse straight to overstable with a nice finish

2 Firebirds
- Champ - 175 Huk Lab beef cake flat firebird Rarely thrown
- Champ - 175 basically a sexton. Flys flat and long then dumps out hard. Good sidearm disc

2 Rocs
Xt - 177 Flat roc that flips up or turns over with power or angle

1 Zone
Big Z - 175 Utility overstable mid/putter forehands and backhands

1 Rhyno
Champ - 175 Straight utility disc up shots backhand and forehand from 50-200 ft.

3 Envys

- Electron Soft - 173 Main putting putter
- Electron - 174 - Putting Putter (extra)
- Electron - 168 - outside the circle and straddle puts. mid range and upshots. Anhyzer puts.

I have also been bagging on and off a 4th teebrid that is between my JA and my neutral one. I also have put in an 06 USDGC star roc to beat up and back up my champ one before bagging another champ. Would love to have 2 straight rocs.

Played in my first tournament in over 5 years yesterday and bagged this line up. Felt good, but had a bad second round and limped into finishing 5th. Not a bad showing, but it could have been much better.

4 D2's
- 450SE - 175 Beefcake
- Proto - 174 Workhorse with a strong finish
- 400G - 173 x out straight driver with small finish
- 400G - 168 Purple Long turnovers, standstill max d easy hyzer flips Tailwind driver.

4 Teebirds -
- Color Glow - 175 Jen Allen Sidearm and backhand workhorse straight to overstable with a nice finish
- Swirly Star - 174 KJ 10 time, straight with a small hyzer finish

1 Firebird
- Champ - 175 basically a sexton. Flys flat and long then dumps out hard. Good sidearm disc

2 Truths
one newish lucid and one seasoned fusion both 175+. This course has a lot of heavy rough and I thew the truth in over the rocs as I can sidearm them a bit better. Very helpful all day but only threw them a handful of times

1 Zone
Big Z - 175 Utility overstable mid/putter forehands and backhands This thing was my savior all day.

1 Rhyno
Champ - 175 Straight utility disc up shots backhand and forehand from 50-200 ft. only threw it once and missed a mando, probably wont bag for a while.
1 se for putting - great feel, but didn't find the basket very often to be honest.
1 pro for straight shots. will be keeping this one in the bag.

All in all I will be going back to bagging Envy's for putting. Probably one soft and one regular electron. I honestly have no idea what made me switch to putting with Rhynos in the first place, it is something I haven't done in years. I will also go back to bagging rocs, I did not throw enough sidearm mids to justify the switch to truths. I will also go back to 3 teebirds and 2 firebirds. Just did not need the stability at this course. I will also play around with some more beat in zones for possible being more of a workhorse disc for me. I had a lot of success with my big z.

Small update. Instead of going back to the envys, I skipped them and went all the way back to Wizards. Haven't putted with them since early 2017. Not sure why I ever left them. Maybe because I switched from pitch putting to spin putting, but they're working really well for me. Shot my record low of 11 down today at my local course in Sellersville. Luckily I have a sweet little stash of glow Wizards from 09 that have a cool little Jack Skellington stamp on them.

Remembered why I left them... Banger GTs will be worth a try I think. I have really taken a liking to spin putting vs pitch putting and they are pretty nice for that.

Edit:

5 D2s
4 TBs
1-2 FB
2-3 Zones
3 Banger GTs

Last edited:
If you ever want to try a new disc for spin putting pick up a Berg. You really have to put some mustard n it because of the low glide, but once you get used to it it is super accurate.

If you ever want to try a new disc for spin putting pick up a Berg. You really have to put some mustard n it because of the low glide, but once you get used to it it is super accurate.

That one has kind of a thumbtrack too right? I know a guy that putts with one, seems like they don't have much glide, is that correct?

That Kastaplast plastic is amazing though.

Yeah, it is a unique disc for sure. Lately I have been having less trouble getting distance on my putts because my snap has been improving, but there for a while I could only get it about 20 ft before it would lose steam. Definitely no fear of shooting past the basket. K3 plastic is like velvet

Picked up some super beat in pro D Zones off Ebay for super cheap. They flip up nicely and fly really straight with a bit of turn with power. Playing in an event this weekend and I'm gunna bag:

6 D2s - Super OS to roller
4 TBs - Slightly OS to turnover
2 Firebirds - Doing firebird things
4 Zones - OS to Turnover
4 Banger GTs - 2 for putting and 2 for throwing.

Latest posts