• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] My bag went from Innova to Discraft

All Innova a year ago and now my standard bag has 1 Innova old, 1 Discraft mold, 1 MVP mold and 1 (well 2 with the River waiting for me to try) Lat 64 mold.

My disc down bag (mids and putter) has 1 Innova, 1 Lat 64, 1 Gateway, 1 Discraft and 1 MVP. These are the ones I will carry on a round I plan to practice form and throw more than one disc or even throwing in a field so thats why I am carrying such a variety of overlapping mids.

I carry 18 discraft and 1 Lat 64. I aint gonna lie, if I didn't have so much time and money already tied up in my discraft collection, I would buy some lat 64's. The Halo, Striker, Core and Fuse all throw like butter.

25 years of golfing does encourage some loyalty, I've grown up in the sport with Innova discs,its like Chevrolets and Coca Cola.
Discraft was started by a guy in...... Canada :eek:
There is no shot in the disc golf world that Innova doesnt have a disc for. It's nice after all this time to have so many choices, left, right, up , down, short, long, upwind, downwind, specialty shots, Innova has a disc that will do what you need it to.

The only disc thats earned a permanent slot in my bag thats not Innova is my Vibram VP, rubber god of all things putting.

I didn't know there was anything besides Innova until a year ago. Since then i've been slowing switching to Discraft. Looks like a lot of people like Gateway putters though. I'm going to have to give em a try.

Innova:
TeeRex
Cobra
Dragon

Discraft:
Surge
XL
Cyclone
Buzzz
Challenger

Throw a surge... its the exact same mold...

Yeah...Surge just isn't the same animal. I know they should be...but they're not. At all. Trust me on this. I've had a lot of wraiths, and 3 surges...I like the surge but you need to really snap the hell out of that thing to make it fly at all like a wraith.

I try to give all the companies an equal opportunity to have their products thrown terribly.

Same here my friend.

IMO it's the availibility of a disc brand near you which makes your bag what it is. At least untill you get deep enough into the sport to start ordering stuff online and what not

I totally disagree.

My first discs I bought at Amazon.com of all places, it wasn't until I saw a DGCR sign at MCC that I even knew where to even find DG information, and local stores charge one HELL of a lot more than ordering from DiscGolfCenter. I guarantee I can get the replacement discs I need for my bag one hell of a lot faster from DGC than I can get them in the city...even if I only threw Innova which is 95% of what the 2 stores carry.

Hell I *tried* to buy a champ valkyrie at each store and not a single one in champ. My first champ valk was from one of those stores...what am I supposed to do, change my bag based on local supply?

I started Innova, tried things out, and I'm still an Innova guy. I like the variety and options better than any other manufacturer. It just seems like Discraft is always playing catch up. I do throw a Meteor though, and i don't feel that Innova has an answer to that disc.

Innova has a LOT of discs and their old ways of describing them let you know how one related to another so if you'd tried an X you had some idea of what a Y would do. Discraft is hard to do that with.

I totally agree with the Meteor. I only don't carry one right now because I've been working on forcing myself to learn anny shots instead of relying on the turnover of the meteor. And I don't really NEED the meteor for any of the local courses, I can use either a BuZzz or a Stratus.

Innova DOES has an answer to a meteor...it's one of your 47 cycled rocs. or maybe a beat wolf or spider or something.

Innova definitely has more variety than anyone else. You've got to give them credit for that. :)

I actually, in all seriousness, agree.

Seriously, I'm converting to Lightning, that's how bad my game has gotten lately.

There are several very decent lightning discs.

No point in going from one to another, carry both...carry all.

I carry Daredevil, Vibram, Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Latitude

Wife carries Innova, Discraft, Latitude

100% agree. I've got Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Lightning, Ching, MVP, Aerobie, DGA, Discmania, Discwing, Latitude 64, Quest and Vibram.

Currently I'm only throwing: Innova, Discraft, Gateway, MVP, Discmania is in the hot seat I've got some PD's DD's and a TD that are all on trial. I really like the Striker but I don't know if I really have a spot in my bag for it...maybe when I'm carrying the BIG BAG...I'd like to try the River and I'm getting some more opto plastic because I tend to like that a little better than gold line.

how is that workin out for ya midnight? i have been playing for a yr now and still throw 99% innova. i have 1 gateway putter. omega super soft:confused:

...Omega Super Soft is Millennium...not Gateway...and it's an Innova offshoot just like Discmania.

Just ordered a Z-Predator, Z-Force, and Z-Stalker to integrate into my bag, should get them by monday. I still have all my Innova discs and still use some of them, especially my sidewinder. I just like the way Discraft discs feel in my hand and wanted to try out more of their products.

I started out all Innova, because they were locally available. I then started trying Discraft mids and drivers, carried a mixed bag of both for a while, but somehow am back to Innova again. Once I tried Gateway putters, though, I've been happy there, so I've shelled everything else in the putter department.

Fav Innova Discs:
Roc
Gazelle
Eagle
Teebird
Destroyer
Firebird
Whippet

Fav Discraft discs:
Wasp
Predator
Surge
Comet (mostly for practice, though it fits nice along side of Rocs)

Other non-Innova discs I like:
Millinium QOLF and SOLF
Lat 64 Core
Gateway Voodoo

I think it really depends on where you started. When researching my first discs to buy, I went straight to discraft. The reason is I knew they made good (quality) discs from playing ultimate. If you show up to an ultimate game with anything but a ultrastar don't expect people to use it.

So, I did notice that Innova was bigger. But like one poster said before, it is brand loyalty. I rarely throw out a disc, and I have 5 beat up, 1 used and one band new ultrastars. I also have a jstar for when I teach ultimate to elementary students. This is before I started playing disc golf.

I haven't used an Innova disc yet, and I am not against Innova. I really would like to try one or two to see if it improves my game. But the thing is I didn't know enough about them. I saw they had a large amount of discs, but I didn't know if they were a Wammo type company.

I think if I didn't have the ultimate background, I would have gone with Innova just because they had the larger selection, and I wouldn't have the knowledge that the original Frisbee maker makes crap.

My bag:

Drivers
PRO D XL (use for rollers, love how it bounces down the fair way)
EliteX Xpress (For some reason this is the only disc I can throw over water without it going splash.)
EliteZ Avenger SS (my straight as an arrow disc. Wish I never lost my FLX avengerSS into the water. Bitter sweet story is I threw my first disc over 300 feet. I normally throw 200-250. It went about 25 feet into the think of water weeds. Couldn't see it.)
ESP Surge (Still learning this one. It was gift from a local pro)

Mid-Range
EliteX Comet (All around useful disc, like it more than my buzz)
ESP Buzzz (Starting to like this more that it isn't in pro-d plastic. )
ESP Impact (Was using as a driver. I can flick this disc farther than any other disc right now.)
EliteZ Glide (Don't really use. Just have room for it in the bag)

Putter
EliteX Soft APX (I can get it in about 75% of the time from 30 feet away. )

Ive tried alot of diff. manafactures, i got somethn from 4 diff. ones.

Innova:
TeeRex
Firebird
Teebird
Roc

Discraft:
Surge

Lat 64:
Vision
Core

Gateway:
Voodoo
Wizard

Having many diffrent companys is the way to go :thmbup:

This.

I do not understand brand loyalty when it comes to the discs in your bag. I guess mine has more Innova than anything (maybe 50%), but there's a big dispersion of brands.

I carry:
Innova - Destroyer, boss, xcal, leo, polecat
Discraft - Nuke, Buzz
DGA - Rouge
Discmania - PPD
Lat64- XXX
Gateway- Voodoo

throw the best disc for you for the shot you need, who cares what brand it is unless they pay you to play their discs

Started Innova, they have a whole wall of plastic 8 rows high at my local disc shop, Meanwhile...The Discraft, Gateway and the recently added Lat 64 are all tucked in the corner with about 1/3 the shelf space Innova has.

It kind of reminds me of the adult video section at movie rental places, you're always curious what's back there but don't want to be seen thumbing through them.

Anywho my bag is 90% Discraft now, they just make a far superior plastic IMO.

I agree that you should throw whatever discs work best for you, regardless of brand (unless maybe one brand is sponsoring you). My bag started as all Innova. Then I experimented with some Discraft and started carrying some of that. Then I got introduced to Discwing, Gateway, Quest, Latitude 64, and Discmania. I tried out the Ion. My game seems to keep changing at the same time that I have been exposed to new discs. So my bag seems to be an ever changing mixture of whatever is currently working for how I am throwing at that time. Currently my bag is: 2 Gateway (Wizard and Element), 1 Innova (Roc), 1 Discraft (Buzzz), 1 Ion, 3 Latitude 64 (River, Striker, XXX), 4 Discmania (3 PD's and a TD). But that is even likely to change in the near future.

This.

I do not understand brand loyalty when it comes to the discs in your bag. I guess mine has more Innova than anything (maybe 50%), but there's a big dispersion of brands.

throw the best disc for you for the shot you need, who cares what brand it is unless they pay you to play their discs

They don't really pay anyone to use the plastic.........maybe 8-10 people of the 100 sponsored players

I throw all discraft as well. I used to be like Stumper up there and say the same thing, but my views have changed. I am sick of buying the same disc as I owned and if flying differently. I know discraft has their issues as well, but I feel like they are the most consistent company out there. They also don't go around tweaking molds without letting you know which I appreciate a lot. My only beef with discraft is that they are a little to trigger happy with discontinueing discs that are actually really good discs but I can deal with it.

My bag also went from Innova to Discraft. I have said it before. I would rather stick to one brand and 5-7 molds, then have a whole bunch of stuff. Maybe that's just me, but if sticking to one brand is limiting myself then I love it

I only have 1 Innova disc left in the bag because discraft doesn't make a 150 class disc I like and I only like the Innova 5x JK Valks.