• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My bag's endgame

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Didn't want to clutter the disc or bag sections with this - hey guys.

I have made a realization lately that I am less interested in trying out new molds and configurations than I used to be.

When I started, I was voracious and wanted to check out every disc I could get my hands on. That perfect disc that would round out my game (read: a crutch to prop up my weaknesses) was always around the corner, and every new disc release could be it.

I'm now starting to realize why people tend to start sticking to a core of old reliable molds and discs. That new Zone clone might be a little less or more glidey or stable, or might fit your hand just a little bit differently/better, but at what point does the familiarity with a mold and/or stack of discs you already own outweigh the possible improvement or enjoyment that could come from switching at this point in the race?

Part of the comfort with plastic I already own comes from valuing minimalism in life, part of it comes from improving and knowing that I can use the familiarity I have with these molds to my advantage and make them work better than shiny new stuff, part of it comes from not losing stuff that's nice and worn in, and finally I have started to get sick of everything that comes with chasing a shiny new model of disc - think the blundered production release of the FD2019.

Now if I could just finally find a midrange that flies like a beat Roc out of the box and in premium, max weight plastic... :popcorn:

Now if I could just finally find a midrange that flies like a beat Roc out of the box and in premium, max weight plastic... :popcorn:

How beat?

But get it and kinda seems like a natural progression right? I can now see why a lot of the long time players have no idea about new manufacturers and plastics. I think well it's everywhere you have to have wanted to try it? Then nope got the discs that work and no need to even look at anything else.

I'm getting there. I stopped trying teebird clones. kinda started to just bag the discs that are being compared to especially if I like the plastics.

It's like a such and such but better. Meh. I'll try the such and such if I like it I'll stick with that.

I like Warships for predictable mid-range flights fresh off the line. I've never really thrown a lot of Rocs, but they seem like they might be similar based on the profile of the things.

I'm mostly settled on molds at this point. My problem is I find it difficult to pass on a mold I like when I find them in a used bin, or to pass on a new run of said mold.

I have lotsa FDs, and I'm grabbing several of the new swirly s lines since it's an OS run.

i like to change my bag up every month just to throw different stuff. I never carry more than 10 discs myself.

Lol...it is indeed the archer, not the arrow. This philosophy is why I have putted with a Magnet forever. There is no magic in a new disc.

Agree and disagree. There have been several magical discs that have made certain shots easier over the years, Firebirds and Zones come to mind. As with anything, the right tool for the job makes the job a whole lot easier and the first time a buddy handed me a Firebird to throw on a dogleg after my disc flipped was the day that I realized I needed to rethink my bag. That said, knowledge of angles of release and understanding how to make a single disc cover a variety of shots is an essential skill, but having the right disc helps considerably.

to;dr I believe in magic but it doesn't just magically happen

Agree and disagree. There have been several magical discs that have made certain shots easier over the years, Firebirds and Zones come to mind. As with anything, the right tool for the job makes the job a whole lot easier and the first time a buddy handed me a Firebird to throw on a dogleg after my disc flipped was the day that I realized I needed to rethink my bag. That said, knowledge of angles of release and understanding how to make a single disc cover a variety of shots is an essential skill, but having the right disc helps considerably.

to;dr I believe in magic but it doesn't just magically happen

I couldn't agree with Hampstead more. Specifically the Firebirds and Zones part. I now bag both molds. A Firebird alone has shaved a few strokes off my score at my local courses. Sharp dog leg shots that need to knife to the left quick and hard (RHBH), nothing beats a Firebird. Skip shots, thumbers, you name it, FB's are the best. Great Utility disc. I don't know how I played as long as I have without one. Zones are very similar, just slower. Awesome disc. I played around with a pig and zone this year and love both. The Zone is a bit more versatile so I'm heading that direction. I agree It's the archer not the arrow.
But sometimes a different arrowhead or even fletching on an arrow can make a subtle difference.

Zenartarcherycover.jpg

I have made a realization lately that I am less interested in trying out new molds and configurations than I used to be.

If I had to guess...you've been playing for maybe a year or so, you've played a few local minis , maybe even a tournament or 2. You might even be throwing 300ft now. What you're experiencing is a stage we all go through. The "building a bag" stage. Now...the bigger issue is what to do with those 100s of discs lying around. Do you become a collector, facebook disc seller guru, local favorite by donating discs to clubs? ;) lol.. I still research new discs from time to time, but overlap is killing the market imop. I only consider bag changes maybe 1-2 times per season.

I am infamous for rarely buying discs. But my bag changes all the time. It's all because I have many good friends who understand my old-ass game and throwing style. So when I lose a Thunderbird, for instance, someone is always there to hand me one that they don't use, or, more beautifully, to pick one up for me and refuse to let me pay for it.

As a result, my bag is as eclectic as one can get. Innova (Star, G*, DX, Champ), Dynamic, MVP, Westside, Discraft - they all have a representative in my bag. And I use them all, depending on the course. I basically just use whatever I can make work. If I run into difficulties, I just stay with it until I figure it out.

This is not to say it's the right way to go. Far from it. But I get a kick out of all the straight-up study that goes into these decisions for most. Everyone seems to know which Dynamic disc is equal (or close enough) to a given Innova disc, or whatever. They have the flight numbers memorized! It's crazy to me. And I don't mean YOU or THEY are crazy to be so studious and knowledgeable. It's that I simply cannot imagine thinking of it that way.

Just hand me a disc, friend. I'll know in 2 seconds whether I like the feel of it, and if I do, I'll figure out how to throw it.

Of course I'd take Archer over Arrow anyday... I hate the "Arrow", " Green Arrow" and "Broken Arrow"... I also hate the phrase.

I make few bag changes these days unless it's for slower speed stuff.. I finally get the " I don't need to try it" people. There's a couple occasional discs/ situations that I try to fill but my core bag is pretty set. Enough to stock up one oop runs. (Proton Spin :D) hahahaha

Nothing does that...
The closest I've seen is the Lat64 Core
or possibly a domey Mako3, but YMMV.

The only reason my bag has changed much over the last 5 years is because I've changed putting styles and greatly improved my forehand.

But there is still merit to trying new discs out occasionally. Unfamiliar discs require more focus and improve your ability to adjust on the fly instead of relying on the disc and muscle memory to do all the work. And when you do lose a bag staple, the adjustment period with the replacement isn't as long. For example, my go-to mid are old Ace Race Nebulae and since they're out of production I'm always trying possible replacements in case I have to make a switch. #DiscGolfProblems

The only reason my bag has changed much over the last 5 years is because I've changed putting styles and greatly improved my forehand.

But there is still merit to trying new discs out occasionally. Unfamiliar discs require more focus and improve your ability to adjust on the fly instead of relying on the disc and muscle memory to do all the work. And when you do lose a bag staple, the adjustment period with the replacement isn't as long. For example, my go-to mid are old Ace Race Nebulae and since they're out of production I'm always trying possible replacements in case I have to make a switch. #DiscGolfProblems

I absolutely agree with this too. I've been working on my sidearm for the past couple years (barely), but it's gotten better. My problem is I am way more successful with very fast, overstable discs for this, like a found Enforcer. My form is garbage for sidearms, and my ramen arm doesn't help matters. But throwing fast discs hides my form flaws and the shots work out for the most part. Therefore I try more sidearms. And I'm improving at it. Before finding that Enforcer I never tried forehand much because I bag all straight to understable discs that I just turned into the ugliest forehand rollers. I like to let the discs do the work for me if at all possible. Sorry Bro Dave if that's not what you meant :doh:

Unfamiliar discs require more focus and improve your ability to adjust on the fly instead of relying on the disc and muscle memory to do all the work.

That's why so many pros "cycle" their goto discs, so they absolutely can rely on that disc and muscle memory to do all the work. #discgolfsolutions ;)

That's why so many pros "cycle" their goto discs, so they absolutely can rely on that disc and muscle memory to do all the work. #discgolfsolutions ;)

An unfamiliar disc becomes a familiar disc after a few throws. Frisbees don't require a long intimate complex and involved relationship as a revelationary catalyst. People cycle discs for several reasons, some involving restrictions on their freedom of choice, and some involving the psychosomatica that fuels most of disc golf discussion and decision.

Lol...it is indeed the archer, not the arrow. This philosophy is why I have putted with a Magnet forever. There is no magic in a new disc.

Yep, just switched plastic to Jawreaker in 2017 then in early 2018 I got some Proline Titanic discs as an above 93 F as well as a mega tight gap or blocked type putt. I also have a backup Proline set. The Jawbreaker Magnets I had to make the Circle of the Stamp to the disc. I only got the Jawbreaker Due to my longer modern Pro D putter geting warped hitting a tree in a hyzer putt. The Proline Titanic I got as a replacement for my old super stiff Pro D putter that used to be a main putter then my 93 F and above disc when I got the Jawbreakers. I do currently use since 2005 a Prostyle #2 Upshot 166 grams for uphill/downhill putting but I might replace the disc with my more floppy Jawbreaker Magnet soon and get a new closer putter, Jawbreaker.

I started in mid 2003 and got a Magnet in 2006 after trying other molds and not liking them. I wanted a mold that had the glide like a lid style disc and the Magnet and now Titanic are as close as I have found.

Last edited:

Yeah but all your cycled discs don't do you any good if you change sponsors. During competition you want the disc and muscle memory to do all the work because less variables is better. To create the muscle memory and keep your skills honed, you monkey with discs when you're not competing. It's about the difference between being able to hit your lines with that Teebird and being able to hit your lines with all your Teebirds/Teebird clones.