• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My experience as a disc golf newb

Op, you seem to be judgemental towards smokers and its likely thy can tell.
Keep showing up and keep your cool; folks will start to reconize you and soon youll be the one noobs complain about ;)

I started with a friend who has (very annoyingly) always been a bit better than me, and we've improved at the same rate. When we joined the local league, it was very much a "your game is your problem" feel. With most of the players being tournament/competitive players, this makes a certain amount of sense.

One does well not asking someone to teach them, but taking the initiative to actively learn. You get good answers from other players if you ask "Why did you pick that line?" or "What disc did you throw?" Most players love to talk about their own game, and are loathe to talk about your game.

I'm coming on my 3rd year of playing in leagues and such and it seems only now that I'm generally recognized and tolerated. You never know who's going to come for a few weeks and never be seen again, or who's going to stick around and improve and get more involved. I remember my first league round I was thinking, "Great, now I'm one of the jerks with a pile of discs who comes out and clogs up the course every Wednesday." I actually hated my first year of leagues. It was very frustrating. There was (not that there isn't still) a lot I needed to learn and no way to learn but by keeping at it. A lot of the pro advice was wasted on me because I had such bad habits that I had to come to terms with on my own, I heard what they were saying, but I didn't understand really what it meant. Now I love going out with those guys and picking up things just by watching. Dudes who I might not think of much on a personal level for any number of reasons, and probably don't think much of me, but there's still a mutual respect there thanks to DG. :thmbup:

I've been playing for 2.5 years, haven't really socialized very much outside a few buddies, and have not done a single organized event yet. But when I do, I'm going to start with the local Doubles. At my home course, Delaveaga DGC in Santa Cruz, CA, the weekly doubles pairs Pro level players with amateurs/casuals. So my buddy has ended up with ~1000 rated players and learned a bunch just watching them play. If you are respectful, and follow the Pros advice to help get the best score, like laying up on putts, and make up for the rare bad shot they will make, they will be very open to help you back. The other thing that helps is getting involved in the local course maintenance and politics. They have "fix up the course days" at Dela. Do enough heavy lifting at those and you will have local friends for sure.

Every DG scene will be different, and everyone you meet will be different. Personally, I only regretted playing with someone else once, and they just had a crazy motor mouth - wouldn't shut up.
Smoking Pot doesn't bother me, but in Santa Cruz, it is like taking sugar in your coffee to Smoke Pot. Some people do, some people don't, most people couldn't care less. I'm sure in Texas you can't be so open about it - even in the liberal minded anomaly that is Austin, Texas. Don't wear a Polo shirt to play IMO.

Anyway, I'm sure you will find a niche and some better players to run with, but don't abandon the folks you got into the game in the first place!

I generally keep to myself when playing a casual round, often deep in thought and that might come across as being rude or unfriendly to people who don't know me. I'll occasionally join up with some newbs and try to offer some pointers if it seems like they are eager to learn but I usually only offer encouragement. Sometimes I've had people refuse my advice, acting like it was rude of me to suggest they try a different disc or change their stance a little. So it goes.

If someone wants help and asks I'm more than happy to assist, but generally I'd rather just do my thing and keep to myself.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be afraid to talk to people but I hope you don't assume that all people are unapproachable if they don't talk to you first.

When I first started playing I only had a few friends that really played and they never wanted to play as much as I did, so this meant I was on the course by myself. The good think about playing alone is that you are faster than the groups. So one of the first times I was on the course I caught up to a group of local pros and when they said I could play through I just asked if I could hang with them and try to pick up some things as I was a new player and could use all the help I could get. After a couple rounds with those guys I was seeing lines and throws I had never thought of or seen before. Maybe I just got lucky with some guys that didn't mind letting a new person into the group, but I'd say go out by your self and see how you can't catch up to...watch them as you are getting closer and closer and see if they look like they are any good. If they seem like they know what they are doing see if they don't mind you hanging with them the rest of the round.

I have been playing for a few years, but really got into it at the end of last summer with a friend. Played my first league round in December or January, and a few more since(now going every Monday starting this week). I have met some pretty cool people playing. Everyone has been very helpful. Played doubles last week and some guys took the time to show my friend and I how to putt better. Also showed me what I was doing wrong with my form. They were very friendly about it and never complained about my poor shots even though I was paired with someone much better than myself.

Monday for League night we went with someone that has played leagues much more than us and gave us the rundown of it. Had a blast. Sure there are a few people that drink while they play, but I have never seen someone completely hammered either. At the course I play at, most the people I see come in to smoke don't play disc. They just park and stay in their car, then leave when they are done.

Sucks that you had to have that experience. Maybe find another club/league to play in nearby?

In conclusion, the percentage of players I've run into seem to be about 25% guys who just want to drink and/or smoke pot, 30% guys who seem to be taking everything a little too seriously and are kind of douchebags, 20% casual players or newbs throwing Grooves on 150' holes, 24% good guys about on my level that seem like good guys I'd enjoy spending an afternoon with, 1% women.

Seems like maybe you are being a little judgemental man. Maybe the 55% that drink/smoke and take the game seriously are the one who can help you out if you ask. Though, honestly I am not sure what drinking/smoking or being a woman has to do with anything. Draw double is a great way to meet better players. I think if you ask around, there are always players willing to lend a hand. Good luck and hope you learn to love the game as much as I have.

Yeah, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one perplexed by disc golf's secret society. I've been getting all the tips I can from this site but I joined my first tourny about a month ago(just a charity event) hoping to meet some players that I might be able to hit up for a casual game here and there. I mentioned to my group on the first round that it was my first tournament and I really should have just kept my mouth shut. Let's just say it wasn't so easy to stike up conversation after that and they got a little annoyed when I simply asked questions about etiquette. Don't get me wrong, there were some nice guys but I was pretty much ignored by others. I'm just as addicted as the rest of you and I want to get heavily involved and plan on joining my local league. Maybe I'll have a different experience with them. The point of my post is, i refuse to be one of those dbags and I'm all about making new friends. If anybody in the Greensboro NC area is feeling the same way, hit me up for a round and we can let those grumps keep their secret handshake. I'm always up for a round and we can get better together. You can always learn from others. Even if they're less experienced.

I learned mostly from watching others throw. Then I joined the local D.G. club & started going to a lot of doubles tourny's. These are easier for the beginner because you have a partner to share the load. It allows you to relax a little bit. You'll see a lot of other peoples styles in a short period of time. You will talk strategy with your doubles partner & learn the little ins & outs of the game. I learned proper etiquette i.e. How to mark my lie. Where I should stand when I was waiting on others in my group.
I learned when it was my turn to throw. Pretty much everything that I wanted to know that I could not get playing casual rounds.
From time to time you'll get paired up with a really good player. This is when you want to watch carefully & ask a few questions to learn how the game is supposed to be played!

Most clubs/leagues have had the same people playing for years. Most people are hesitant when someone new signs up, but if you show up a few times, people will start welcoming you in. At least that's the way it seems to me.

When I first started playing I only had a few friends that really played and they never wanted to play as much as I did, so this meant I was on the course by myself. The good think about playing alone is that you are faster than the groups. So one of the first times I was on the course I caught up to a group of local pros and when they said I could play through I just asked if I could hang with them and try to pick up some things as I was a new player and could use all the help I could get. After a couple rounds with those guys I was seeing lines and throws I had never thought of or seen before. Maybe I just got lucky with some guys that didn't mind letting a new person into the group, but I'd say go out by your self and see how you can't catch up to...watch them as you are getting closer and closer and see if they look like they are any good. If they seem like they know what they are doing see if they don't mind you hanging with them the rest of the round.

couldnt agree more with this. i play single a lot and if i come up on a small group(2-3) or single that I observe are good ill ask to just join up with them.Always more fun to play with other.
I dont ask to join groups of 4 or more unless i see there are more big groups in front of them that will jam me up if i try to pass the first big group. those days I just join into the big group, have a smoke on every teepad and know that its gonna be a 3 hour round.

Guess I should consider myself lucky, I have had great experiences in League/Club play and even the majority of the tourneys I have entered and played. Lots of good people, open and friendly, and even willing to help out with advice when asked. I found League/Club play to be the most relaxed setting, as it is random doubles and you get paired up with someone new almost every week. Also chill enough to ask questions, seek advice and even heckle one another from time to time. Very happy I took the plunge.

Same goes for the majority of tourneys, from charity events to ice bowls, to sanctioned PDGA events. Only encountered one semi-rule nazi/passive aggressive gomer who felt the need to point out every rule (real or made up) in his mind to others in the group, but didn't call anything until he was behind in the 2nd round. Oh well, they can't all be cool and the gang right?

wow, lots of good info scattered in here. i have only been throwing since DEC 2012. playing at the course since Jan. and i asked the pro shop my first time playing my local course what was the deal and there was 2 guys behind me that said " hey join us" and i usually play with them on sat morning, i was about as good as both of them right out the gate so now i am beating them by 2-3 strokes. i usually show up solo during the week and ask a 2-3some if i can join in and have yet to turned away. I do not smoke pot while i play(it kills my game) and i get asked by damn near every group i play with but once i tell them i dont and the reason they are cool with it. i even go as far as to bring some edibles to hand out and my group loves me! i am not sure if i am just a special case as i picked up the game really quick and not gonna lie i have joined up with a group of really good players that i could tell were reluctant to let me play with but once they say me thow they were good with it and all round long we all shared throwing lines on different holes.

...The first mini I played in, other players seemed reluctant to be around me. (one of the guys in my group confided that they probably thought I was a cop)

You Texans really need a new governor. Rick Perry is making you paranoid.

I turned to the other group waiting and said apologetically "sorry, I'm gonna wait out this gust" to which the guy in front responded sternly "watch your time".

This is where a person with good communication skills would have said, "Its OK. By the rules you have at least 30 seconds once you address your disc".

In '91 I raced on a mt. bike team for the shop I worked at. We knew all the other teams and members, rode practice rides with them and cheered each other while we raced side by side.
In '92, the # of people at the race doubled, and all the newcomers were manufacturer-sponsored, grim-faced OCD types who were more likely to yell "get your bike off the trail!" while you were still in the air during a crash.

I've been playing a year. I suppose I've been lucky that pretty much everyone I've met from our local scene has been pretty friendly. Sure, some people are standoff-ish, some are outright jackasses, but overall I'm happy with the reception I've received. My best advice is just write off the folks who don't show an interest in being friendly and key in on those who are.

About the drug/alcohol use...meh...it's part of the culture. I don't smoke and seldom drink, but I don't generally care if others do. I do think, though, that it's not doing the sport any favors towards growth.

Yeah I guess my biggest problem is that I'm actually the best person I know. There are a couple friends I introduced that can mostly hang with me, but I don't have anyone to learn from.

Honestly I would guess this might be your problem. Plus from reading your first paragraph it might seem that your waiting for others to approach you. You have to understand that in alot of settings where everyone else is comfortable and knows everyone and your the new guy you have to approach people and join convos at the right time or else your the weirdo. Sometimes it is hard to open up to a group of new people, I for one played 11 different leagues last year, I would say I went alone 4 times where I barely knew the other peoples names before. I even went to a random dubbs league in Illinois with my GF that we found on here and had a good time. So basically I am saying you might be a little sensative or expecting too much out of the others when you need to step up to the plate.

Latest posts