• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nate Sexton ITB and Octothorpe Overview

Royalhghnss

Double Eagle Member
Shot this with Nate after one of his BSF rounds. Had a lot of people asking about what he throws. Well now ya know.

I really like how Nate Sexton seems like an "everymans" player. He's sportsmanlike, calm, serious but goofy, articulate but not wordy... He seems like a guy I'd be comfortable shooting a round with every saturday with a six pack and a playlist. I mean, he's got his wedding mini and closes with "...and if you think this (his outfit) was an accident it wasn't." He just seems like a humble guy. Not always easy to find. Anyway, I dig the rainfly, the bad is mad slick, and oooohhhh that new Sexton logo is flippin rad. Thanks for posting this Royalhghnss! :)

Good vid. I thought I heard him in some video say that he'd definitely be throwing an XT Whale, but I guess that's where the Dart is sitting.

Pretty crazy to see the diversity in his bag compared to Philos. 14 molds vs 5 molds yet they both get amazing results. I tend to be on the mold minimalist side but it just goes to show that only you know what's going to work the best for your game.

If you're throwing a lot of forehands and backhands mixed in with some insane rollers chances are a cycle of rocs and destroyers aren't going to cover it all. But if you tend to stick with backhand turnovers and lacing low line drives wherever you need them then go for less molds. Whatever gets you the best results!

Ha! The company is called "Pound" and the bag is called "Octothorpe". That's good.

-Goes to Google-

Well, would you look at that. You DO learn something new every day.

I like the "Nerd Out" section on the Pound website, as well.

And that does look like a beautiful and useful bag. Maybe some day I'll move up from my Innova Deluxe.

And while I'm here. I also love seeing how Nate tries a lot of discs in his bag. It certainly seems to work for him!

Ha! The company is called "Pound" and the bag is called "Octothorpe". That's good.

Oooooooooo... i love wordplay. Still dont get why itd be called an "octothorpe" when it creates 9 fields, not 8. But still, pretty cool to know. :)

Interestingly, a "Sextothorpe", as Nate put it, would then be this:

Attachments

• 2016-06-28 14.16.58.jpg
    2016-06-28 14.16.58.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 33
Oooooooooo... i love wordplay. Still dont get why itd be called an "octothorpe" when it creates 9 fields, not 8. But still, pretty cool to know. :)

Interestingly, a "Sextothorpe", as Nate put it, would then be this:
It has 8 legs.

Oh. I thought thorpe meant "field". Still cool though. :)
There are a few stories about the origin of the word but one of them is that a guy that invented the symbol was a fan of Jim Thorpe.

Maybe I should start a new thread but....
A third story is documented, since Ralph Carlsen of Bell Laboratories wrote a memorandum about it just before his retirement in 1995. He records that in the early 1960s a Bell Labs engineer, Don Macpherson, went to instruct their first client, the Mayo Clinic, in the use of a new telephone system. He felt the need for a fresh and unambiguous name for the # symbol. He was apparently at that time active in a group that was trying to get the Olympic medals of the athlete Jim Thorpe returned from Sweden, so he decided to add thorpe to the end. (Jim Thorpe, a native American who has been described as the greatest athlete of the twentieth century, had won two medals at the 1912 Olympics in Sweden, but had been disqualified because he was found to have accepted money for playing baseball three years earlier, so making him a professional. His medals were finally returned in 1983.)