• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nearest course not mired in snow?

jakebake91

* Ace Member *
Hello all,

So, I live in west central Wisconsin, about 1hr 45mins straight east of Minneapolis, Mn. I'm wondering, as we are in the middle of another ridiculous snow storm, how far I'd have to travel to reach a snow free course? Don't care about temps, just snow. Cabin fever is truly setting in.

Any ideas from the more geographically gifted?

LOL

True Story: One year I had the same issue. So utterly sick of playing in snow me and my buddy and his wife took a roady to Lemon Lakes. I messaged the pro shop asking how much snow they had on the ground. The response was, "we can see grass in spots." We get there and guess what, we could see grass inbetween the 3' deep snow drifts that completely covered the course. Good times.

Since there was a signifigant shortage of snow shoes in our car we ended up driving yet another hour west to finally get away from the lake effect region and played Highland in Joliet. Really wish I knew about that snow coverage map link at that time...

-Dave

I know....I'm about 45 minutes out side of min/st, just on the wisco side... we got it all over night. I was gonna try ribbons this weekend, but f**k all I don't want ribbons that freaking long....it's almost march...

Hello all,

So, I live in west central Wisconsin, about 1hr 45mins straight east of Minneapolis, Mn. I'm wondering, as we are in the middle of another ridiculous snow storm, how far I'd have to travel to reach a snow free course? Don't care about temps, just snow. Cabin fever is truly setting in.

Any ideas from the more geographically gifted?

Where I live in Pierre South Dakota we might have a record setting amount of snow this month of February and it is almost March. We had record cold in January and February that I could not go running and now so much snow that is not melting ever in February that I can't really do much in 2 months outside even with winter conditions. I hate it with near record low temps for high's and the near record snow in my area. Some people in valley's more up near the top of basin, (Pierre/Ft Pierre is mostly in an old river flood plains) had to abandon the parking in the area they live in if they do not have 4x4 or AWD on vehicle and in a few newer houses they can't access it. Those people are taking stuff from top of valley to house in those odd parts of Northern Pierre.

Normally we get snow in either January or February and it melts from time to time or we get the late snow storms in late March to mid April like last year. We do not really get Snow that Sticks around in South Dakota as much as this snow has. Yes so much that if the City did not plow it would be about 1 ft 6 in from top of my head of 5 foot 2 inches and the recorded for February is 4 foot or 48 inches and we are currently at 43-45 inches depending on where you live in the city. I bet even on one guys home built course, he can't even play and that is the next thing to his Packers Football, owns 3 shares of the sport from the 3 times he was able to buy them.

Not that it's of any help to you but don't bother heading over to the Marshfield/Wausau area. We're in the same boat. I tried last Saturday and ended up playing 1 hole at Braem park. Almost lost a Buzzz about 6 inches under the snow but finished out the hole by parking it under the cage. The disc came to rest touching the underside of the cage. Spring can't come soon enough.

I'm hoping Rockford or Delwood is basically snow free by next weekend. A lot closer drives for me from Madison, though.

I go through the same thing every year! This year has been worse than most. I have found myself thinking (more than once) "well 6.5 hour drive and one night in a hotel for a weekend of snow free DG isn't too bad" That snow coverage map is sweet! I will start using it for sure.

I go through the same thing every year! This year has been worse than most. I have found myself thinking (more than once) "well 6.5 hour drive and one night in a hotel for a weekend of snow free DG isn't too bad" That snow coverage map is sweet! I will start using it for sure.

I live in Omaha so I feel your pain. I started disc golfing in October 2017, and loved it last winter because it gave me an activity that I could still do outside during the cold months. This winter though...man, it's been rough. The game just isn't very fun when you're throwing from snow up to your knees and spending more time looking for discs than throwing them.

It's supposed to snow like 8" more by Saturday, right? Better get your DG in while there's less than 2 ft of snow on the ground!

I've been coming home to southern MS the last 10 winters, so I've seen naught but a dusting of snow. My nearest course, however, does have 3-4 inches of standing water everywhere on it, though. #discgolfswim

I would take the frozen ground or snow over this past weekend quagmire of mud from the rain melted snow we had to deal with.

Luckily no shoes where lost in this adventure.

I would take the frozen ground or snow over this past weekend quagmire of mud from the rain melted snow we had to deal with.

Luckily no shoes where lost in this adventure.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the spring (mud) season that is quickly approaching. I'm enjoying the frozen ground we have for now.

Latest posts