• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a free mapping app suggestion

Geremy

So I've helped design a few courses and really enjoy it. However, it always seems like the app I use to track my movements, and/or Geo Mark different tee pads, gets discontinued, lacks features, or is completely removed. Started with GPS Backpacker lite, then to Under Armor Map my Hike, and most recently Alltrails.

While Alltrails is nice, there's no measure function that I've seen, nor is there winter aerial imagery. It's a lot easier plotting a course when you can see the ground.

So, my question to you other DG designers is what app are you using when walking through a potential course?

TIA

There are fitness apps like Strava and Runkeeper that you can use to create routes.

Might be able to adapt that to a map.

You can use Google and drop a pin at each point of interest and use the coordinates to locate tee pads and baskets. Certainly a lot of effort, but doable.

Don't get me wrong, Alltrails is pretty slick. But measuring holes and a winter view would be awesome

So if there's nothing better then I recommend Alltrails, but I am secretly hoping that someone has a better app.

I'm sure there are some high end stuff fir GIS type mapping. Wouldn't be free or even cheap.

Google Maps shows the distances between points, has an elevation profile, you can add color coded vector objects for things like tee pads, baskets, and flight paths, text elements to note distances, hole numbers, etc. Depending on the particular property, it's also possible to view historical imagery to see the growth of vegetation over time or to see the property at different times of the year when it can be easier to identify landmarks or the different species of trees on the property.

I use Map My Walk for measuring my walk and uDisc for measuring my throws. But with any GPS "measuring" app/tool, you have to remember the accuracy is dependent upon the number of satellites the device connects to and the accuracy really never gets better than +/- 13 Feet (I believe that is the most accurate a civilian device can be).

For building a course, creating tee signs, check out local surveyors. See how much they would charge or if they would donate their time - maybe have a sign at the beginning of the course: All measurements provided by <Company> and are accurate to <x feet/inches>.