• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Form check & Analysis please

SmileyBoy

Par Member
Hi everyone,

I want to get good, like really really good. Throw far, accurately and win games and go under par as well. I am practicing throwing accurately and also throwing far to see what is the max distance I can reach currently and that is 345 ft. I am throwing 320-345 ft constantly and would like to receive your help in improving my form, distance and accuracy for the shots.

Discs I have:
  • Ricky Wysocki Innova Star Destroyer 173.5g
  • Ricky Wysocki Innova Star Destroyer 170g
  • Innova Pro Valkyrie (replaced by star destroyer because it's too flippy, even on insane hyzer angle)
  • MVP Tesla (Replaced by star destroyer because I cannot get this disc to go any further. It's stable but I can't reach 300 ft with it)
  • Westside Discs World (Replaced by star destroyer because it's too flippy just like Valkyrie and beat in which is the cause of this)

Recommendations one stranger who I played with and was very friendly gave me:
  • He recommended Thunderbird because my arm speed is around 40-50mph (64-80 kph)

Please check and critique my form and advise what should I do to improve my game and distance.

Back view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6q7ybB2Nr0
Side view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubahz49kM6o

Hello,

I forgot to mention in my post that I am throwing 2x star destroyers as red discs and 3 Innova champion mako3's aka blue discs in the video.

The first thing I notice is that you're turning around early and backing up to your throw. Try and keep eyes on the target and body addressing target more until you begin your plant stride (last step) then allow yourself to look away and turn back in sync with your stride.

The next obvious thing to me is the rounding. Your upper arm on the throwing arm collapses to your chest which is a power killer. Try to keep the upper arm at least 90 degrees to your collarbone, no less, throughout the whole throw.

Yeah, turning back and forth too early. Plant foot is wide open and arm hugs your chest instead of disc.

See #3 Best Throwing Practices. Put down the high speed drivers and work on fundamental from standstill/small step like a batter.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126516
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2899399#post2899399

fpGByZx.png

Hello,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

This weekend I'll try to fix those problems and show the video here to see whether my issue got fixed or whether I got more issues to fix.

Currently I cannot practice as I'm busy with work and don't have much time after work.

Hello,

Here is the video of me throwing all midranges I have on standstill position. Sorry for the quality though. I will be getting a new camera soon.

I have analyzed my previous video with above video here and I can see myself not hugging anymore. Shoulder height is a bit more up, elbow is 90 degrees close to the chest but I did not notice any distance gain though?

I also went out to play at disc golf park and first round was awful but 4 rounds later I had a blast. It was fun to play with midranges only. I was playing with scores. Not good but can be better.

I am also using this stance for my standstill shots.
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QFnI_hagnASonWGiI9hRauU5N9tWu7qZ/view?usp=sharing>

How I hold the disc always (RHBH):

My middle finger is also hurting a lot from side. Here's the image of how my middle finger side looks like. It's rock hard and smooth as hecc surface.

My disc rips out from middle finger. Since the pain is huge after throwing the discs for 6 hours. I decided to give a try to see if I could rip from my index finger and yes I can. But same result of pain will be achieved shortly if I keep ripping from it till it hurts.

Questions:
  • Am I developing callous to my middle finger?
  • Should I keep throwing the discs while enduring the pain after throws?
  • Has my form improved from my previous video (x-step) vs current video (standstill)?
  • Am I still hugging myself?
  • Is my shoulder height good?
  • Is my disc height good?
  • Is my elbow correctly 90 degrees as it should be with the rest of the arm?
  • Am I getting any weight shifts? When throwing I can't really feel it.
  • Is my syncronization with my arm and chest lagging behind? When chest is 90 degrees front then arm is still a bit behind or is that alright?
  • Is my standstill position okay?

I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me and I look forward to your replies.

Seems like there were some google drive permission problems.

Please see the below links again.

I am also using this stance for my standstill shots.
How I hold the disc always (RHBH):
My middle finger is also hurting a lot from side. Here's the image of how my middle finger side looks like. It's rock hard and smooth as hecc surface.

Your grip has your thumb very forward past the index finger and your index finger is scrunched up back with your other fingers. Try angling the disc in your hand different and giving more space between index and middle finger so the index is the rip/pivot finger. Try starting with the 2 finger grip, and then add other fingers.

Last edited:
Still hugging a bit. The "arm lagging behind chest" you refer to is the hugging. The 90 degrees advice I gave wasn't for your elbow, it's the angle you want between your chest and upper arm. Elbow extension to flexion will change throughout the swing.

Right now your body is moving like a metronome.You'll want to eliminate the tipping back and forth in favor of a more upright torso throughout swing. I would do away with your initial rear foot step and instead just do SW's recommended standstill "footwork" which is just a step with your plant foot a few inches towards target like a baseball player, which will help you fell the shift youre lookin for.

Your backswing motion pattern is all wrong. It's probably going to feel very weird to you to change your motion pattern and stay more upright center balanced. Let your arm/shoulder hang like a heavy wet towel and swing loose/extended back and forth or all the way around over your head/windmill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogonOY1DoHU#t=40m

1. Setup/address, not too shabby.

2. Backswing. You stepped your left foot back away from target and made a massive CoG shift back - This is a death move. Left foot needs to hold it's position/maintain leverage for the backswing to create torque. Note how my rear foot stayed in place while my CoG moved back a little, but actually starting to go back forward and turning back and front foot is striding forward with CoG.

3. Top of Backswing/transition. Note how far you have shifted and leaned back. Your Cog is at it's furthest point and you have peaked reachback, so everything is loaded all the way back together, instead of creating separation. Now note how far my CoG has shifted forward at the peak of my reachback/turn back.

4. Shift/brace. Note how your eyes are trying go to target instead of being patient shifting from behind and paying attention to disc/swing. Also note how your CoG is still behind your address/setup, so you really haven't shifted your mass forward in the totality of the whole event, even though your CoG has made a massive leap in the last two frames trying to catch back up, and not really able to brace up.
KhgF6f8.png

Hi everyone,

I am back after practicing my throws at the field for a week. Today is an update on the video on how my form looks like currently. It truly feels like I'm throwing my midrange discs (buzzz OS, buzzz, champion mako3's) with no effort right now and they go 250 ft every time on hyzerflip shot except buzzz OS. That thing is a meathook and I can get it to 230 ft only.

I would once again want to ask for your review on my form.

Below video for 17/04/2021 shows how I threw this Saturday (I did not record myself everyday. Only Saturday and Sunday)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlwYCX_0jyw

I saw what I was doing different.
  • My spine was a bit tilted forward instead of being straight.
  • I was still hugging myself.
  • I did not have any gap between my legs when standing.

In the video below for 18/04/2021, I made some changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AVs7Fo_xM

• Keep my spine straight.
  • Rotate my torso and shoulders and reachback as far as I can while keeping my spine straight.
  • Try to get a smooth and chill throwing technique.

But in the latest video I can see that I'm doing some mistakes:
  • Still hugging, maybe?
  • Reachback is not straight enough, maybe as well?
Summary:
1) Effortless shots that looks like they go as far as drivers from the release feeling but actually not because disc stops spinning fast.
2) Index finger is my rip off finger now. Below are the images of how I grip now after watching the grip video.
3) Body feels like liquid. It's not that stiff as it used to be. I'm more relaxed now.

Front view:

Back view:

Please advise me whether:
  • My form (looks / is) better compared to 04/17/2021 or not
  • The grip I use is correct or still needs some amending.
  • I'm still hugging or not?
  • My form needs more amending? I want to throw further than I am currently with the midranges I have.

Note: I tried to get YOUTUBE tag to work but it kept saying "an error occured, please try again" when trying to play the video in preview mode.

Don't know alot about how to help you in regards to form but it looks like you're gripping the disc into the palm/Base and not putting the majority of the pressure into your index knuckle.

Yeah ^, and thumb is too forward and close to wing.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3440757&postcount=4

Looking much better overall with the motion pattern. You are over-twisting your torso with your left arm going behind your back/posterior, this is a death move and more likely to injure back. This starts to rotate your hips forward early and the left arm gets stuck back behind you and dragging your upper body too far behind the lower body. You try to use your left arm and over-twist because you aren't turning back enough from your hips.

The left arm should never end up moving away from the target, you are sending mass/energy in the wrong direction. Left arm should always move targetward to squeeze your body forward into/against the plant. Keep your left arm in front of your body anterior.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124523

bZbrQ8E.png

Hello,

Is this grip good to use? I checked the grip & alignment video and eventually came to this grip after trying many ways to get thumb and index finger to pressure one spot together.

Moving my index finger after holding that grip for few minutes or after the throw hurts a little bit. It stops hurting after a good round of warmup to it but still, kinda worried.

Am I applying too much force on my index finger first knuckle to start hurting?

Please advise.

Imagine you're holding a pencil or a fork. It looks like you're holding it with all your fingers instead of holding more like you want to be more precise with more control if that makes sense.

Hello,

I don't really get the holding the fork or pencil grip style. I tried it but feels like I don't have a full control of the disc.

Here's grip images after checking one of the videos for grip.

Is this grip good? It feels comfortable but holding it other ways is really uncomfortable. Should I just go out, try different grips and see what fits for me? Like trial and error?

Funny thing is I use all four fingers to write and fork and it feels just like my fan grip and how I grip the steering wheel on the 3-4 o'clock.

I like to keep my grip fairly relaxed and more out of the palm and more into the finger tips or pads.

Your 1st grip post pics doesn't look like a good hook on the index finger.

Your 2nd grip post pics look better.

I like to start with Robbie Bratten's 2 finger grip and feel control of the disc more out of the palm. Once you figure that out it's easy to modify to other grips keeping the same index/thumb relationship, but moving the other fingers around.

Hello,

With four fingers? Wow.

I use 2-3 three fingers when holding the pencil or finger. I'm not sure what fingers can you include when counting about how many fingers do you use to hold the fork or pencil.

Below are two videos of me holding the fork and pencil to show how I hold them and hopefully advance from there, like if that's my grip when holding the fork and pen then what should my grip be for the disc?

Pen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqys3lo545ogqlu/VID_20210420_073132.mp4?dl=0

Fork: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqys3lo545ogqlu/VID_20210420_073132.mp4?dl=0

I want to get the correct grip to improve my game along with form. Currently when I go to my disc, I automatically wrap it around with my fingers and palm. It's muscle memory at this point and hard to break :(

Thank you for your time and assistance in helping me with forms and grips.

Please continue to help me and advise.

Latest posts