• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need pics of tree barriers

Guezo

We're trying to convince our local Parks Dept that it's possible and sensible to install protective barriers to keep discs away from some young trees. I'm collecting photos of different barriers used on various courses around the world. Jarva, we already got your pics! Can anyone else please send me pics of your local tree barriers? Thanks!

One way I haven't seen with pictures is to install a 4"-6" diameter post extending 5'-6' above grade in the line of play from tee to new tree about 12"-18" in front of it so the post will deflect any throws that direction. No need to wrap anything on the new tree. Height of the post depends on how far the tree is from the tee.

One way I haven't seen with pictures is to install a 4"-6" diameter post extending 5'-6' above grade in the line of play from tee to new tree about 12"-18" in front of it so the post will deflect any throws that direction. No need to wrap anything on the new tree. Height of the post depends on how far the tree is from the tee.
If your park is interested in planting plenty of young saplings - you can also have a tree in front of a tree. It'll cover the tree's core and its branches as it grows, preventing the scraggly young trees we tend to get when discs just go overkill on all the young branches. We have a few places at Ottawa Park where we did that and its made a huge difference. The tree closer to the teepad is surviving in these areas, but they look ugly compared to the ones behind them planted where we really wanted a guardian tree.

Seems to me that 'they' attempted this at a major tournament/renown course in the past - USDGC #1 (not the half-assed 'mozzarella sticks'). The OP might find a still from one of the tournament videos. I might be wrong, but I'm not lying...

To the OP, contact the folks responsible for grounds at Delaveaga; they might have the pics you need - also probably available on a video still. Best nothing is actually attached to the tree when you find your solution though...

Photo quality is not that great but it shows posts to protect from disc strikes and wire cages to protect from deer munching. Eight foot half round landscape timbers have a one foot crossmember (deadman) bolted and buried 8 to 12 inches below the surface.
picture.php

My local out of Town State Park Course a 18.5 hole course if you include the new Practice hole, had some young trees planted in mid to late 2000's to keep discs from ending up in the road and hitting vehicles. They did the Pic above but no posts in the ground, more for deer to not kill the dang trees so they could be used for the purpose intended. Now the trees are big enough to do what the park had in mind, though the park had to keep the Tree wrap or that flexible white plastic drain pipe stuff on the trees until sometime in the early to mid 2010's for the Deer.