• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Basket from, Grow the Sport

Casey 1988

Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
New PDGA Championship Approved basket...

I have mentioned another new basket of last year 2019, the one that Grow the Sport has made. Nothing. https://www.discstore.com/discgolf/basket/growthesport-permanent-disc-golf-basket It needs to be on the site as otherwise people will put the basket down as a Dynamic Disc Veteran or Latitude 64 basket same style different model name and others will think it is an unpainted version.

From site:

We made the GrowtheSport basket into a PDGA Championship Approved permanent

offering with this newly redesigned durable outdoor basket ready to complete your next

course. The only 100% hot-dipped galvanized basket on the market.

New, completely redesigned PDGA Championship Approved permanent basket for your next course build or backyard.

We've taken the classic Growthesport basket and beefed it up to create a new permanent option for your next course. The Growthesport Permanent basket is the best value you can find in a course installation basket.

40 chains in 3 levels (20 Outer, 12 mid, 8 inner)
Course-ready heavy-duty stainless steel chains to catch anything
In ground metal sleeve included for easy removal and multiple pin locations.
Locking collar for secure assembly and peace of mind.
Reinforced structural support
Hot dipped galvanized steel to withstand the elements
Metal craft silver color for optimal exposure on the course.
The best value permanent basket perfect for your course, school, or home.
PDGA Championship Approved

Interesting. I wonder if they will offer other colors eventually?

Approved Date: Sep 5, 2019...

From site:

offering with this newly redesigned durable outdoor basket ready to complete your next

New, completely redesigned PDGA Championship Approved permanent basket for your next course build or backyard.

We've taken the classic Growthesport basket and beefed it up to create a new permanent option for your next course. The Growthesport Permanent basket is the best value you can find in a course installation basket.

This basket was approved back in September of 2019. Had not noticed it before.

This basket was approved back in September of 2019. Had not noticed it before.

I did not either until I was thinking of 2-3 baskets on parents soon to be new property but the basket I was looking at was the next down the $179 other basket and it is not great. A DB-5 in addition to the rest of an MVP HD-Pro by getting the Precision and saving the top rings for my brothers home basket, I got him a Precision top for an MVP HD-Pro and he doesn't like the MVP standard top for putting practice.

Last edited:
THE ONLY 100% HOT-DIPPED GALVANIZED BASKET ON THE MARKET ?

:\
From site:

THE ONLY 100% HOT-DIPPED GALVANIZED BASKET ON THE MARKET.

I thought the DGA Mach 2, 5, 7 and X baskets were 100% galvanized, as well as the Innova

DISCatcher Pro 28, the MVP black hole Portal and the Lightning DB-5. Possibly other

basket makers as well? I noticed that a few others that make Permanent Championship

baskets do not have total galvanization, they rely on zinc or powder coating and hope it lasts.

Lightning DB-5 baskets...

I did not either until I was thinking of 2-3 baskets on parents soon to be new property but the basket I was looking at was the next down the $179 other basket and it is not great. A DB-5 in addition to the rest of an MVP HD-Pro by getting the Precision and saving the top rings for my brothers home basket, I got him a Precision top for an MVP HD-Pro and he doesn't like the MVP standard top for putting practice.

Hey Casey, how are your 2 DB-5's working out for you? Are they the same size (height)

as other course baskets? Thanks for any info.

Hey Casey, how are your 2 DB-5's working out for you? Are they the same size (height)

as other course baskets? Thanks for any info.

They are the same ones as the Course basket we have in the town course of Pierre SD, except the In town course Got some Mach III tops in 2015 when the Powerhouse All got new baskets Blue Modern Mach III due to the Missouri River flood in 2011 neededall but the tops replaced. I am Sure that for tournaments they just call those baskets modern cage Mach III to the PDGA. The Exact same everything else, the baskets were the stand type that until the flood in Pierre made 3-4 of the baskets that would get removed, they concrete the bottoms with a big pad to keep the baskets from shifting.

Last edited:
DB-5

They are the same ones as the Course basket we have in the town course of Pierre SD, except the In town course Got some Mach III tops in 2015 when the Powerhouse All got new baskets Blue Modern Mach III due to the Missouri River flood in 2011 neededall but the tops replaced. I am Sure that for tournaments they just call those baskets modern cage Mach III to the PDGA. The Exact same everything else, the baskets were the stand type that until the flood in Pierre made 3-4 of the baskets that would get removed, they concrete the bottoms with a big pad to keep the baskets from shifting.

I was wondering about the galvanization quality. Are you happy with it, is it smooth or rough?

Did you build holes on your parents property? Do these catch well? Thanks.

I was wondering about the galvanization quality. Are you happy with it, is it smooth or rough?

Did you build holes on your parents property? Do these catch well? Thanks.

I have yet to set them up at parents, that will not happen for a bit bu they will not be actual holes rather more like a practice course without actual tee pads.

I know from experience on my local course Steamboat Park, the baskets are not smooth or rough but rather matte finish, and if they do not have a second set of chains, for an actual course then the cut through is more aggravating then not. Also they are the most durable baskets on that course, the baskets at Steamboat Park survived the 2011 Missouri River Flood that encompassed the entire Missouri River and the Ones at Oahe Downstream State Park/Rec Area Powerhouse Ally some older Mach III did not survive on the bottoms, the bolts were rusting out and making holes for bolts larger on the baskets and in early 2015 the State got new baskets for the place with the local club pitching in the extra to have blue modern Mach III as well as a Mach II or Chainstar for the practice hole that also has a smaller concrete tee pad then the actual course, and gave all 18 of the old baskets to the City of Pierre where they took the only parts worth saving, the tops off to use for the Lightning DB-5 as the second set of chain had rusted out on original Lightning tops. The Local Disc Golf Club used Zinc Coated for the second inner set of chain as that was all that a local hardware store had in enough quantity and club was ready to clear coat/galvanizing compound to the added set of chains if need be years down the road but the flood messed that up big. Lighting DB-5 had the added inner set as rusty as a very old 24 chain Innova Discatcher Pro set of chains and outer the Galvanization was nearly gone.

Sorry for long post but most of that is experiance on the baskets themselves. The baskets are the best for the price and are very durable but need a second set of chain if using for a course, adding another 18 is not necessary as then you have probably too many at 36 as then a slamming sideways putt is needed, 6 for every 3 spot is fine for 24 chains total and 9 for 27 is a bit better at thight amount.

How the local Club attached the second set of chain was in the middle of inner circle on the part between the bars that house the outer set. To keep the chains from moving we used lightweight aluminum S hook or wire Zinc coated S hooks, tried both with not real noticeable difference that could be bent to not move on the inner ring. We wanted right between the two straight lines that held the outer set so as to have a basket that the inner set covers the gap. We found by mistake on first trial that a full 18 is too many see above. The major people in the club had to remove every other one, and then found that wire should not be used to hold the chain up as that needs replacing every 3 months as we did replace in that one with Metal Zip Ties. Metal Zip ties are not a bad option for holding in place the chains at the top. Also do not us the metal zip tie for the inner ring as we did on 2 or 3, they will get tightened to the pole by teens playing disc golf who think that is funny, we had to remove the metal Zip tie to use about 4-5 S hooks to have distance to connect to the ring used for original outer chains we corrected that on the other sets but still needed 2 S hooks at bottom to work as we ended up on calculations a single chain short.

Last edited:

Latest posts