• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Feature: Hole Tips!

Finished tips on all 18 holes of Bellamy Park. Would there be a way to add a thumbs up/down to tips? It would be great to know when people find them useful or if they don't.

How long has that "pin position" expando-dealie been there? I just noticed it and it's too close to quitting time for me to search the forums.

A really, really long time. A couple of years at least.

Finished tips on all 18 holes of Bellamy Park. Would there be a way to add a thumbs up/down to tips? It would be great to know when people find them useful or if they don't.

People can vote on them (which is how the "helpfulness" order is determined) but I decided not to show the actual votes. It'll just show the tips people think are better towards the top of the list.

The early tips read more like hole descriptions rather than playing tips but it got more tippish on the back 9. Looks good, thanks for adding them :)

Yeah, like I said, I thought at first I'd just transcribe what we have on the tee signs, which was written several years ago by someone else for a tournament program. They're necessarily somewhat brief. As I went along, I couldn't resist cutting some of the less "tippish" stuff and replacing it with what I thought would be more useful. I'll probably make another pass through the front nine now that I've re-done so much of the back nine.

People can vote on them (which is how the "helpfulness" order is determined) but I decided not to show the actual votes. It'll just show the tips people think are better towards the top of the list.

Ah come on, you mean you don't want to see a TT or Trusted Tipper, or a diamond level tipper? ;)

Ah come on, you mean you don't want to see a TT or Trusted Tipper, or a diamond level tipper? ;)
Great if your a waiter ;) is that really necessary? Something tells me it would just become a popularity contest. There is an achievement for it:
You can now get the "Informant" achievement by adding tips to the site. Bronze: 50, Silver: 150, Gold: 350, Diamond: 700.

Also, I made a new medal for Course Discoverer and used the old one for Informant.

I think it's good that the vote totals won't be shown. Just let the tips deemed helpful by the most members rise to the top. If you're only doing it for the recognition, that's your problem. :p

I would feel much more inclined to write reviews and leave tips for holes if we had single-sign-on. It'd just be nice to have the reviews and everything linked to the same profile as the forum.

Is this possible at all?

I would feel much more inclined to write reviews and leave tips for holes if we had single-sign-on. It'd just be nice to have the reviews and everything linked to the same profile as the forum.

Is this possible at all?
The extra 10 seconds is that much of a hindrance? Not really doable so it sounds like we won't be seeing many reviews from you :(

The extra 10 seconds is that much of a hindrance? Not really doable so it sounds like we won't be seeing many reviews from you :(

10 seconds? You must be on dial-up.

Great addition Tim. With all the new features you've added since I've been a member, I don't know how I ever got by back then.

Not so much the registration as just the idea of having them linked together. The ability to see people reviewing things near me and then going and looking at their forum posts. I might find discs they're trying to unload that I want and it turns out they're in the same town as I am. Or vice versa.

That would be nifty. I'll sign up for the site now, anyway.

Wait, hang on, let me get my egg off this face so I can finish this thought.

I completely misunderstood the site's login at first. See, I thought it meant you had to register with two different accounts, not login to the same account twice.

Previous request withdrawn. ;)

I like it, but since you're not tying it to a helpful count or anything, why include the long lag time between voting a tip helpful for the same person like with reviews. I read tips much faster than reviews, but am unable to give multiple thumbs up to the same person without having to wait a long time. I understand the lag with reviews but is it really needed with tips? Maybe a lag time, but cut it down a bunch? Or maybe no lag time at all between votes on tips?

Or, upon thinking about it more - you could just take out votes since you're not tabulating anything to it anyway.

Or, upon thinking about it more - you could just take out votes since you're not tabulating anything to it anyway.
The votes determine the order the tips are shown in. The lag time is a left over from the review voting script. I'll have to change that later.

i think there's a small bug, on my acheivements- when i put the mouse over the premium crown it says "informant"..... thats supposed to be for hole tips right?

i think there's a small bug, on my acheivements- when i put the mouse over the premium crown it says "informant"..... thats supposed to be for hole tips right?
.... it means you're about to get snuffed by your local drug dealer 'cause he thinks you've ratted him out to the cops. Nice knowing you! Can I have your discs? :p

Latest posts