• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New from South Texas

xJediDadx

Hey Everyone!

Just found the site in search of places to play disc golf in the Corpus Christi area. I'm really new to the game. I don't have any discs yet, but I am getting some this weekend and going to try my hand at the game. It's something I've been thinking about trying for a few months now and am finally pulling the trigger on this.

I'm planning on getting just a 3 disc Innova starter set from Academy this weekend and see what I can do with them before venturing out and getting other discs.

I can throw a frisbee pretty good, but i know these weigh and act differently from your standard frisbee. I am ambidextrous when it comes to throwing as well. Not sure if that'll help me or not when playing this game.

Welcome from Upper Michigan!
Being ambidextrous will be very, very useful.

Hey Everyone!

Just found the site in search of places to play disc golf in the Corpus Christi area. I'm really new to the game. I don't have any discs yet, but I am getting some this weekend and going to try my hand at the game. It's something I've been thinking about trying for a few months now and am finally pulling the trigger on this.

I'm planning on getting just a 3 disc Innova starter set from Academy this weekend and see what I can do with them before venturing out and getting other discs.

I can throw a frisbee pretty good, but i know these weigh and act differently from your standard frisbee. I am ambidextrous when it comes to throwing as well. Not sure if that'll help me or not when playing this game.

Welcome, but I have to say I'm jealous of where you live!

You may want to consider asking their advice on first discs, and you could likely get some used ones at a good price. I'm not a fan of the low end plastics, which most starter sets are, they don't hold their flight characteristics very long at all. And you can't choose your weights with those starter sets either.

And throwing both ways is a huge advantage, but yes it will take some time to figure out how these discs fly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome.

I figured the starter set will at least get me going and then I can look at buying individual discs once I've played a few rounds. Thankfully they aren't outrageously expensive. That helps in wanting to pick this game up pretty quickly and expanding your arsenal of discs.

I have a couple of friends that play here and they've always told me that there are 3 pretty good courses within 20 miles of where we live even though there's about 6 or 7 total.

I'm also using this as an excuse to start to get back into shape. :D

Go to ingleside on Tuesdays and Thursday's around 1600. They have a mini an there are tons of cool dudes there. Ask for KP or Toby and tell them rob from Dallas old you to ask for them. They'll take care of you

Awesome! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just found out that I'll be waiting till Christmas to play. It's now turned into a Christmas present since I'm apparently hard to shop for. lol

You're really close to a lot of good Disc Golf people in Corpus Christi. Join the Millennium Disc Golf Collector page on Facebook. Everyone is helpful and I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking you on a round to show you the course and give you some pointers.

Awesome! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just found out that I'll be waiting till Christmas to play. It's now turned into a Christmas present since I'm apparently hard to shop for. lol

Well if you want to get out playing right away, go to Academy and pick up a "150" class DGA Squall in their baseline plastic, retail is $9.50 I believe. It's nice grippy plastic, and it's a very easy to throw disc, you can putt with it as well. I know I said baseline plastic isn't the best, but this one is really ideal to get started. Since you can throw frisbees well, you should be able to throw this 250'+ right away. Good luck!

You're really close to a lot of good Disc Golf people in Corpus Christi. Join the Millennium Disc Golf Collector page on Facebook. Everyone is helpful and I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking you on a round to show you the course and give you some pointers.

I just joined. I'll poke around there and introduce myself

Well if you want to get out playing right away, go to Academy and pick up a "150" class DGA Squall in their baseline plastic, retail is $9.50 I believe. It's nice grippy plastic, and it's a very easy to throw disc, you can putt with it as well. I know I said baseline plastic isn't the best, but this one is really ideal to get started. Since you can throw frisbees well, you should be able to throw this 250'+ right away. Good luck!

Thanks Consult. I'll go there this weekend and at least pick that one disc up to practice throwing around with and get used to throwing something other then a frisbee. I do recall seeing that particular disc at the store. There's a park around the corner from my house that's at least 400' long where I can practice throwing.

I just joined. I'll poke around there and introduce myself

Thanks Consult. I'll go there this weekend and at least pick that one disc up to practice throwing around with and get used to throwing something other then a frisbee. I do recall seeing that particular disc at the store. There's a park around the corner from my house that's at least 400' long where I can practice throwing.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

If you're going to Academy for one disc to get started get a Discraft Buzzz. It's a great disc that you will end up throwing for a long time.

Academy here didn't have the Squall disc Consult was talking about so I got the Discraft Buzzz that Johnny mentioned. I haven't thrown it yet I'm planning on it today to see how it flies.

Academy here didn't have the Squall disc Consult was talking about so I got the Discraft Buzzz that Johnny mentioned. I haven't thrown it yet I'm planning on it today to see how it flies.

Can't go wrong with a Buzzz, what plastic and weight? I mentioned the Squall because it flies a little further, and to me it releases more consistently, but that may just be an individualistic thing -- both are great discs.

I put a picture of the one I got. If I'm reading it right the plastic is Z and the weight is 177. There's a sticker on the inside of the rim that says 177 so I'm assuming that's what that is for. I think the .5 on the disc means that the disc will fly to the left a little more then it flies straight?

http://i68.tinypic.com/2sb6aa0.jpg

I took it out to the park today and threw it around for about 20 minutes and I was able to get about 185'-ish feet with just about every throw. That was left handed as well. I couldn't get it to go that far right-handed. It always came out wobbling pretty bad with my right hand and throwing it backhand did the same thing, wobbly like crazy and maybe went 100'.

I put a picture of the one I got. If I'm reading it right the plastic is Z and the weight is 177. There's a sticker on the inside of the rim that says 177 so I'm assuming that's what that is for. I think the .5 on the disc means that the disc will fly to the left a little more then it flies straight?

http://i68.tinypic.com/2sb6aa0.jpg

I took it out to the park today and threw it around for about 20 minutes and I was able to get about 185'-ish feet with just about every throw. That was left handed as well. I couldn't get it to go that far right-handed. It always came out wobbling pretty bad with my right hand and throwing it backhand did the same thing, wobbly like crazy and maybe went 100'.

Yup, Z plastic, 177 grams +/- a couple grams, nice disc. The .5 is the stability rating, the buzzz is a pretty stable disc -- check out this link for Discraft's rating system:

http://discraft.com/stability.html

Cool you got out to throw it, did it fly straight with a little fade at the end? Check out youtube for instructional videos, that will help you get jump started so you're ready for your Christmas present! Keep throwing, if you're good at throwing ultimate discs you should have no problem throwing the buzzz well with some practice.

It flew straight for the most part and did fade off. I did notice if i let go at the wrong time or released with an upward angle that it flew horribly and was very unbalanced as it flew. I can already tell that I have to work on either my stance or my walk up to the throw.

I will definitely check out some videos and might even go hang out at a course and watch how others play just to see what i can pick up on.

Thanks! I can't wait till I go up to the DFW area and play some courses up there. My step-brother plays quite often so he knows where a lot of the good courses are up there

Latest posts